Double Dip vs Brewers 7/14

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Cervelli back on 7 day DL

Wimpiest catcher I've ever seen.   

As long as it's not your brain ..right ?

It's not his brain.   It's his heart

I don't get that. He's having concussion symptoms of which he's had several. Why the anger and insults toward him for that?

Like I said , it's not their brain , so it's OK. Hmmm... just thinking that my statement may have been a little "generous" to dmetz ?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2A232B3A344E0 wrote: Cervelli back on 7 day DL

It’s the great Scarecrow v. Tin Man debate.  Who is the Wizard of Oz character that doesn’t have any money? That’s the guy we need to be fearful of when we’re paying Cervelli a bunch of it to not be able to catch next year.

These new "injuries" are very disappointing to me.  Truth be told, I just wanted Cervelli out of here asap.   My least favorite bucco.  I didn't expect us to get much for him.  Now, he's untradable.

His June/July numbers (what little there are due to these injuries) point to April and May being a gigantic mirage, he doesn't have the bat to play 1b and provide any value.

Albatross contract.   Perhaps we will package a few propspects with him to get rid of his salary?   

I hear that people who say they have concussions are faking it. They should just suck it up like Junior Seau.
PMike

Post by PMike »

7C4E42425664474E4346494E2F0 wrote: Cervelli back on 7 day DL

It’s the great Scarecrow v. Tin Man debate.  Who is the Wizard of Oz character that doesn’t have any money? That’s the guy we need to be fearful of when we’re paying Cervelli a bunch of it to not be able to catch next year.

These new "injuries" are very disappointing to me.  Truth be told, I just wanted Cervelli out of here asap.   My least favorite bucco.  I didn't expect us to get much for him.  Now, he's untradable.

His June/July numbers (what little there are due to these injuries) point to April and May being a gigantic mirage, he doesn't have the bat to play 1b and provide any value.

Albatross contract.   Perhaps we will package a few propspects with him to get rid of his salary?   

I hear that people who say they have concussions are faking it.  They should just suck it up like Junior Seau. 

Right? This conversation needs to be stopped. The insensitivity towards a really serious injury that clearly has huge life impacting effects down the road is shocking. I'm not a fan of Cervelli fan either, but c'mon. Continual concussions has a direct link to really bad things later in life. The NFL CTE study was shocking with nearly 100% of the brains seriously damaged. If he is having repeat concussions he's already in trouble later in life.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I feel bad for the thousands of catchers playing for nothing, or the love of the game, who take foul balls off the mask.
PMike

Post by PMike »

666F677678020 wrote: I feel bad for the thousands of catchers playing for nothing, or the love of the game, who take foul balls off the mask. 

I don't disagree. Or the many more kids playing HS and college football who will never get a paycheck but are giving themselves brain damage.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

727B73626C160 wrote: I feel bad for the thousands of catchers playing for nothing, or the love of the game, who take foul balls off the mask. 

My lord....
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4B424A5B552F0 wrote: Cervelli back on 7 day DL

I don't get that. He's having concussion symptoms of which he's had several. Why the anger and insults toward him for that?

Basically?  I don't like him.  Never have.  I guess I should be more sympathetic to a baseball player making 10 million dollars a year who manages to play about 50% of his games.   

Thank goodness he didn't try football or hockey, I guess

DMetz, have you had a concussion recently?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

032524332535460 wrote: Cervelli back on 7 day DL

Basically?  I don't like him.  Never have.  I guess I should be more sympathetic to a baseball player making 10 million dollars a year who manages to play about 50% of his games.   

Lol. Ironically, I have suffered several in my life (football) one severe (car accident) and ironically was a catcher taking foul balls off the mask too through a year in college. My lack of empathy for Cervelli always being on the DL after getting that big contract is probably CTE related!

(Kids playing football and such, pro football players etc... taking shots to the head are something I wouldn't joke about though)
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

717870616F150 wrote: Cervelli back on 7 day DL

Lol. Ironically, I have suffered several in my life (football) one severe (car accident)  and ironically was a catcher taking foul balls off the mask too through a year in college.   My lack of empathy for Cervelli always being on the DL after getting that big contract is probably CTE related!

(Kids playing football and such, pro football players etc... taking shots to the head are something I wouldn't joke about though)

it is fairly common for catchers to get concussions. 11 times by September of last season according to this article:

http://www.realclearlife.com/sports/mlb ... ncussions/
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Yeah it looks like a running average of about 6 -7 catcher concussions per year since 2011 A few of those from foul tips.:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/can-we- ... n-problem/

The numbers have definitely trended the right way since the Posey Rule and subsequent changes and enforcement.