Pirates@Indians 7/25 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

7C614547492C0 wrote: I worry that them being a bit nicked up is going to be an excuse for doing next to nothing, buy or sell.   NHs natural, risk averse position.

It's time to get in the water if we are going to get in.   
If all the bats go silent/hurt then I'd hope they don't make a deal like that. 

A deal like what?

If we're not going to make a move then sell.at minimum mercer JHay, Cervell' Nova.   Then actually grow a set and make a big pickup on the off-season  and go for it next year.

If not buy, then you've got to purge the roster of the useless pieces next season and start seasoning the newmans and Kramers for a possible 2019 run.    Hopefully we don't do nothing or virtually nothing and then excuse it  with BS. (Probably what's coming)

I am very with you in trading those three.  I especially want the middle infield guys gone so we can see what we have in Kramer and Newman.  However, do you think that anyone is actually going to trade for Mercer?  I can't see any of the playoff teams with a need for the minimal contribution he'd offer.  He wouldn't even be that useful off the bench.  Though I'd like to trade Cervelli, I don't want to watch any more games where Stallings and his sub .100 batting average get in the game.

If NH cannot trade Mercer, he can run him through waivers August 1.  I'm pretty sure he can be traded.  If not, release him or if that's not possible, keep him and tell Hurdle he cannot play him and call up Newman.   I wouldn't waste a week on Mercer though, let alone the whole month of August until rosters expand.   Newman needs to play as much as possible to prepare for next year.  Mercer can backup for two months the way Barmes did if NH won't trade him.

Re Stallings: We would just need to sign a waiver wire backstop in the offseason or now.  If Cervelli chooses to not catch anymore, he can just be released as far as I'm concerned as he serves no purpose.  He's already said he doesn't want to play anywhere but catcher, so it's time for him to make that choice or not.  He's been symptom free reportedly since the ASB.

There's a lot of catching fodder out there for a backup.  I doubt they'll be any better than Stallings without making a very minor trade though.   

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Can live with Stallings as backup for the rest of the year. With what could be a nice bunch of kids coming up especially in Sept he can relate to many of them since he no doubt caught bullpens and games for these guys in Indy.