Let the rumor mill begin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

We need quality position players to become competitive.  Our IF pretty much sucks.   Not going to win anything with a bad infield.   We really shouldnt be expecting  Kramer and Newman to be impact players.  Or Cole Tucker, for that matter.   Their minor league numbers don't trend that way.

We also have no 1bman

Looks to me like we have some guys who may be varying degrees of decent, but nothing likely to be great.   

We need athletic, toolsy ballplayers with high upsides.   Too many low ceilings and poorly rounded players or flat out unathletic players
dmetz

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by dmetz »

0212132432323E510 wrote: As I said, there needs to be a concerted effort to build a winning team capable of going far into the post season. If trading Vazquez can help accomplish that, then fine. My issue is that there doesn't seem to be such a plan and it's merely, "What can we get for this guy and will we win the trade?" That's not good enough.

Everyone uses the built in excuse that we are young.  I've seen this in the preseason by management and the FO.  So, you trade a young Vasquez for a package of younger prospects who haven't made it to the majors, then ... you are even younger in major league experience AND one or two of those prospects could bust.

Win the trade is always nice, but I don't have much faith in the GM winning a trade of Vazquez.  He is the best trade chip now ... you better be looking to fill certain positions if you deal him ... not just acquire talent at whatever position.  There are glaring holes in this organization at certain positions (C, SP, even a 1B).  Those players acquired better be talented and MLB ready.

As far as position players, I don't see good returns coming for many absent Machado.  Pitching seems to be the big need for everyone. 

Yeah it's annoying to hear it over and over again. The team isn't young. The rotation is young. The position players aren't young. It's not a young team
SyrBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SyrBucco »

I would like to see if the Red Sox would be interested in Josh Harrison and Ivan Nova. I'd like to get Michael Chavis back in trade. He's blocked by Devers at 3B and he bats right-handed, so he could compliment and/or compete with Moran.
MaineBucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by MaineBucs »

Hard to believe that the Pirates were not in on Machado. Must have just missed acquiring him by a hair.

That said, it will be interesting to see what the Dodgers surrendered for the best position player that was readily available.
Bobster21

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Bobster21 »

032F27202B0C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: Hard to believe that the Pirates were not in on Machado.   Must have just missed acquiring him by a hair.

That said, it will be interesting to see what the Dodgers surrendered for the best position player that was readily available.
NH wanted the Orioles to include 2 prospects with Machado in excahge for Neverauskus.
Ecbucs

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Ecbucs »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: Hard to believe that the Pirates were not in on Machado.   Must have just missed acquiring him by a hair.

NH wanted the Orioles to include 2 prospects with Machado in excahge for Neverauskus.

that could have worked, maybe Peter Angelos doesn't understand the value of saving salary money.
DemDog

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by DemDog »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Hard to believe that the Pirates were not in on Machado.   Must have just missed acquiring him by a hair.

[highlight]NH wanted the Orioles to include 2 prospects with Machado in excahge for Neverauskus. [/highlight]

Where is kovalwat? This post should get the Kovie Award for best joke of the year! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
gileszee

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by gileszee »

Chevis? You mean the guy who is suspended for 80 games for doping? Uh...pass.
SyrBucco

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by SyrBucco »

2E20252C3A332C2C490 wrote: Chevis?  You mean the guy who is suspended for 80 games for doping?  Uh...pass.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the suspension. Still think the Bosox are a good trading partner, and wouldn't rule out Chavis despite the suspension. Marte has been welcomed back. Cervelli was also suspended, if I recall correctly. I want an explanation from Chavis.
Tintin

Let the rumor mill begin

Post by Tintin »

would the Braves take Santana for one of their young starters (Fried, Gohara or Allard)?