MLB reporting that Archer is a Buc.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

A wild card spot this year is still a long shot. I suspect this was more a move for next year and the year after. They should have a chance both years.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E6C767066030 wrote: A wild card spot this year is still a long shot. I suspect this was more a move for next year and the year after. They should have a chance both years.

But they need to shore up the defense and hope the hitting isn't a mirage. I have to admit that while I like the deals, I also think it's an odd time for them to do something like this of all of the opportunities they've had.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

NH almost had to do something bold after saying what happened over the next few weeks would determine what he did and the team proceded to go 15-4.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea credit to the players for winning 11 straight and for going 16-4 since July 8th. They forced Neal’s hand and rightfully so.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

That's all well and good, but I'm still not sure this is anything other than an average team. Yeah, it is an average team that had some exciting trades, so there's that.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

63515D5D497B58515C595651300 wrote: That's all well and good, but I'm still not sure this is anything other than an average team.  Yeah, it is an average team that had some exciting trades, so there's that. 

These two deals set the roster in better position for 2019, if nothing comes of it for the wild card. An average team only three games out of a wild card spot is a lot better than we envisioned. NH still feels guilty not adding something good a few years ago during that 98-win season. This may have played a big part of this happening.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I think you're right, whether it was by design or because he just couldn't get it done
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think these trades have improved the team to the extent that if they can stay hot-and that's a big if-a WC is not unreasonable. Unfortunately, they still have Clint Hurdle to mismanage them. :(
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think provided that Dickerson comes back from injury without any hindrance, they will stay in the wild card race.

The rotation has been very effective lately, and with yesterdays additions to the staff, they should have continued success at run prevention. I think it's going to take Harrison and Moran to breakthrough for the offense to stay consistent though. 2B and 3B have turned not been productive enough.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

3A333B2A245E0 wrote: I really wouldn't call this a fair trade.    TB may have a list of players they can choose for the PTBNL by a certain date, and that could move a needle for sure.

But

This is a theft by NH.   If Meadows ever has a 2.5 WAR season, I will be surprised.  His clear inability to play CF kills his ceiling.  Corner OFs with his skill sets arent very special.  We, in fact, have a couple of them ourselves who have outperformed his minor league lines, same age same levels.   (Check out Jason Martin right now)

Glasnow is highly, highly improbable to be a successful starting pitcher with his combination of weaknesses.   Back of bullpen success is possible imo, but almost no chance at all as a starter.

It's larceny to obtain a 3.50 career FIP pitcher (in the hardest division in baseball) heavily cost controlled for 3 years for those two guys.    Highway robbery.    

If Archer maintains his health, this is a great, great trade.   I don't understand the trade from Tampas perspective.   They chose two players with ceilings that are significantly diminished from what they were a couple years ago and gave up 3 years of a mid-rotation workhorse with pedigree and great peripherals to do it. 

I share your enthusiasm for this deal. My only reservation is that we haven't seen the PTBNL's yet. I think we may have given up a middle infielder needed next year, or a high ceiling guy like Oneill Cruz. We have depth there, but we're going to have openings next year.