8/20 vs Braves. Newman at 2B.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

103D30212637206063520 wrote: Did Polanco just flaunt a “Marte Trot”?  Bearly jogging down 1st base line.

Hurdle allowed this stuff for years, I would not be surprised if Polanco stood with Marte. 
Exactly! I'm glad he disciplined Marte. Finally! But this is the culture Hurdle has allowed for years. Sadly, it always surprises me when I see a Pirates run full speed out of the batter's box. It just doesn't often happen.

Guys like Frazier and Freese.  JHay. They always bust.

I’ll always think Marte was a bad influence on Polanco.  I thought after the PEDS last year Marte was trying harder.  Then the game on Sunday....

I haven’t watched the replay, but it sure looked like Polanco came out of the box in a slow jog.

That's nothing new. :(

I never really saw Polanco's issues as lack of effort as much as lack of awareness--"brain farts" if you will.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

43717D7D695B78717C797671100 wrote: Did Polanco just flaunt a “Marte Trot”?  Bearly jogging down 1st base line.

Hurdle allowed this stuff for years, I would not be surprised if Polanco stood with Marte. 
Exactly! I'm glad he disciplined Marte. Finally! But this is the culture Hurdle has allowed for years. Sadly, it always surprises me when I see a Pirates run full speed out of the batter's box. It just doesn't often happen.

Guys like Frazier and Freese.  JHay. They always bust.

I’ll always think Marte was a bad influence on Polanco.  I thought after the PEDS last year Marte was trying harder.  Then the game on Sunday....

I haven’t watched the replay, but it sure looked like Polanco came out of the box in a slow jog.

That's nothing new. :(

I never really saw Polanco's issues as lack of effort as much as lack of awareness--"brain farts" if you will.
That too. But I've seen him run leisurely to 1B many times. He's done better with that lately but my point was that if he was not giving it much effort going to 1B yesterday, it's probably more likely that it's just what he does sometimes rather than showing solidarity with Marte.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: it's probably more likely that it's just what he does sometimes rather than showing solidarity with Marte.

yeah, it's more likely he started to go but then saw something shiny. :D
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Talking about Marte and Polanco not hustling all the time. For once in my life I have found a reason to like Pete Rose and want to get him back in baseball if for not other reason than to come manage the Bucs for a couple years and put the fear of God into the minds and bodies of guys like Marte and Polanco. Rose was a great player but alot of that came from his "Charlie Hustle" attitude in every moment and phase of his game.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6B5955554173505954515E59380 wrote: it's probably more likely that it's just what he does sometimes rather than showing solidarity with Marte.

yeah, it's more likely he started to go but then saw something shiny.  :D
:D :D :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

10222E2E3A082B222F2A2522430 wrote: Are you guys ready for this:  Atlant SP Kevin Gausman has been replace at the starter for tonight's game by rookie Bryse Wilson who was called up specifically to start the game.  The Braves reasoning is that they want to give Gausman and the rest of the SP staff an extra day off.

Looks like a real contender is taking a page from the NH/CH book and giving the guys a rest ala the Clay Holmes game. 

Just hope the the Bryse Wilson game ends up for the Braves like the Clay Holmes game did for the Bucs.
Talk about rushing a player! Bryse Wilson, 20, was in low-A last year. Began this season in high-A for just 5 games before being moved up to AA in May. After 15 games there he was promoted to AAA at the beginning of this month where he has pitched only 3 games and now makes his MLB debut.
I'd note that the Braves, in the midst of a pennant race, are choosing to give their rotation an extra day of rest.  That organization must not care about winning.
Apparently, they didn't care about winning that game. But there's a couple big differences between the Braves' decision and the Pirates' decision to sacrifice a game with Holmes. The Braves have an excellent shot to win their division or at least a WC spot. The Pirates are a longshot even for a WC spot and certainly cannot treat a single game lightly. Also, Holmes started on 8/10. The Pirates were off on 7/30 and 8/2 as well as 3 days after the Holmes start. So they were playing 12 games in a 15 days stretch. That gave plenty of rest to the rotation even without inserting Holmes.

Wilson pitched for the Braves on 8/20. They don't have a day off until a week later (8/27). Furthermore, unlike the Pirates who had 2 days off the week before the Holmes game, the Braves have not had a day off since 8/6. They play everyday from 8/7 to 8/27 including a pair of doubleheaders during that span. That's a stretch of 22 games in 20 days compared to the Pirates stretch of 12 games in 15 days when TBMTIB had to rest the rotation. A case can be made for the Braves looking to give their rotation a rest. The same cannot be said for the Pirates.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

We are starting 5 LMG's tonight so lets just call this one early and put it in the loss column.