Deal with Tribe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Deal with Tribe

Post by Aaron »

092D393134580 wrote:

This is pretty much what I see as the Pirates typical operating procedure. With this deal the Pirates have their middle infield insurance at a pre-arb eligible price, which will be cheaper than any of the (even bargain-basement) free agents would have been. NH can then begin spinning how the in-house versatility of players like Frazier and Reyes allow them the flexibility to cover Polanco's spot until his return without having to look elsewhere. The recent Archer deal does give me some hope that perhaps their approach is changing, but I can't help but view this deal through the prism of this team's years of penny-pinching predictability.

Yup.

And I think the Archer and Kela trades signal that they were what they consider, "the big spending offseason moves." They not only gave up prospects, they added the salaries. They also resigned Kang.

NH's shopping list is pretty much already completed, other than some spare parts and NRIs.

And NH won't really be concerned about Gonzales if he doesn't hit. He has years of control, which is much more important than production to NH.
notes34

Deal with Tribe

Post by notes34 »

6D4D5E43422C0 wrote:

This is pretty much what I see as the Pirates typical operating procedure. With this deal the Pirates have their middle infield insurance at a pre-arb eligible price, which will be cheaper than any of the (even bargain-basement) free agents would have been. NH can then begin spinning how the in-house versatility of players like Frazier and Reyes allow them the flexibility to cover Polanco's spot until his return without having to look elsewhere. The recent Archer deal does give me some hope that perhaps their approach is changing, but I can't help but view this deal through the prism of this team's years of penny-pinching predictability.

Yup.

And I think the Archer and Kela trades signal that they were what they consider, "the big spending offseason moves." They not only gave up prospects, they added the salaries. They also resigned Kang.

NH's shopping list is pretty much already completed, other than some spare parts and NRIs.

And NH won't really be concerned about Gonzales if he doesn't hit. He has years of control, which is much more important than production to NH.
No question that is the thought process. If someone falls into their laps they will take a flier. They absolutely need an OF but we all know what happened the last time they needed an OF.
BenM

Deal with Tribe

Post by BenM »

6646554849270 wrote:

Yup.

From an interview with Huntington on the Fan this week."Neal Huntington On Pirates Offseason: 'We Went For It Aggressively This Summer"
Ecbucs

Deal with Tribe

Post by Ecbucs »

6B4C4764290 wrote:

Yup.

From an interview with Huntington on the Fan this week."Neal Huntington On Pirates Offseason: 'We Went For It Aggressively This Summer"

I haven't said this for awhile but it feels good to spew it out now and then.

I despise NH.
Bobster21

Deal with Tribe

Post by Bobster21 »

6545564B4A240 wrote:

Yup.

I agree 100%, Aaron. I have long since passed the point of expecting more. Getting Archer was huge for them and we have to hope he does better next year. The rotation is now set and there won't be any high priced upgrades there or anywhere else. The BP needs only an additional LH reliever who's better than Brault. That's not asking much. Polanco is due back in June so there won't be a big money replacement in RF. And let's not forget that Polanco struggled for large chunks of the season. It's not as if they are replacing Trout. Reyes looked good at bat and in the field and will probably hold down RF until June. So they need to add a 4th OFer for the bench. SS is still a question and maybe Gonzalez starts there. If not, he's a versatile reserve and they can get a reasonably inexpensive starting SS until Newman or Tucker is ready.

Some teams would look at a roster like the Pirates and conclude that they should spend big bucks to upgrade the rotation, the BP, the IF or the OF. The Pirates stepped out of character last year to add Archer. In keeping with their business model, that will be the exception rather than the new normal. They will depend on what they already have plus a few modest additions. I'm not trying to criticize them. It's just how they operate. I think Aaron hit the nail on the head and there's no reason to expect the Pirates to do anything different.
UtahPirate

Deal with Tribe

Post by UtahPirate »

Just thought you'd enjoy a view from an Indians site. More neutral than the Bucco fans view, but that's based on what the writer sees as replaceable parts within the Indians system.

He sure doesn't think they received much in Luplow and Moroff. Just a swap of players who didn't have room on the 40-man for either team. Only player with any ceiling (in his opinion) is Thomas.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/11/15/i ... eal-brb11/
Aaron

Deal with Tribe

Post by Aaron »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote:

Yup.

I agree 100%, Aaron. I have long since passed the point of expecting more. Getting Archer was huge for them and we have to hope he does better next year. The rotation is now set and there won't be any high priced upgrades there or anywhere else. The BP needs only an additional LH reliever who's better than Brault. That's not asking much. Polanco is due back in June so there won't be a big money replacement in RF. And let's not forget that Polanco struggled for large chunks of the season. It's not as if they are replacing Trout. Reyes looked good at bat and in the field and will probably hold down RF until June. So they need to add a 4th OFer for the bench. SS is still a question and maybe Gonzalez starts there. If not, he's a versatile reserve and they can get a reasonably inexpensive starting SS until Newman or Tucker is ready.

Some teams would look at a roster like the Pirates and conclude that they should spend big bucks to upgrade the rotation, the BP, the IF or the OF. The Pirates stepped out of character last year to add Archer. In keeping with their business model, that will be the exception rather than the new normal. They will depend on what they already have plus a few modest additions. I'm not trying to criticize them. It's just how they operate. I think Aaron hit the nail on the head and there's no reason to expect the Pirates to do anything different.

And they didn't bring back JHay, who would have made like $10.5 mil. That's what Archer and Kela will roughly make combined, so they actually added nothing.

They'll point to arbitration raises as payroll additions. It's just a sad, sad organization.
DemDog

Deal with Tribe

Post by DemDog »

4D6C797048716A796C7D180 wrote: Just thought you'd enjoy a view from an Indians site. More neutral than the Bucco fans view, but that's based on what the writer sees as replaceable parts within the Indians system.

He sure doesn't think they received much in Luplow and Moroff. Just a swap of players who didn't have room on the 40-man for either team. Only player with any ceiling (in his opinion) is Thomas.

I sure hope that Luplow does not turn into a righty hitting Brian Giles!
BillyMeyer

Deal with Tribe

Post by BillyMeyer »

18392C251D243F2C39284D0 wrote: Just thought you'd enjoy a view from an Indians site. More neutral than the Bucco fans view, but that's based on what the writer sees as replaceable parts within the Indians system.

Says EG features a good glove at multiple positions. It would be a bonus if he could cut down on the strikeouts. He's had a good start in the Dominican, so maybe that could serve as a catalyst for the season to come.
mouse

Deal with Tribe

Post by mouse »

Wow, the sense from reading that article is that the Indians traded someone who has a chance, however remote, to be a good pitcher, for some people they can stuff at AAA and forget. You have to wonder why they made the deal. I'm guessing there's some value to Luplow and Moroff or the Indians wouldn't have made the deal. Easier just to release the guys they didn't want anymore.

I do like the note that we got someone who is strong defensively. Seems to suggest an effort to support the pitchers - NH must consider that to be the strength of the team heading into next year.