Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

5E78796E78681B0 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors says the Marlins may not tender Derek Dietrich, in which case he'd be a great add for us - better than Marwin Gonzalez.

Also read in Bucs Dugout that Stallings has another option, so we don't need to worry about losing him unless we keep 3 catchers. That's good for Stalliongs and for Pirates fans.

Dietrich is the kind of player that it would be worth sending a low ranking prospect to get rights to offer him arbitration.  I think he could do better than arbitration on free agent market. 
Yeah. Dietrich fits the mold nicely too. He's been more consistent than M. Gonzalez with .750+ OPS each of the last 3 years. And he doesn't play in the hitters' park that MG does.

He'll probably take a decent asset to get back as there is bound to be competition for him. Would Osuna be enough (assumes Kang will stay)? Miami needs a 1Bman(?).

Gonzalez has the the benefit of having some experience at SS and 1B though the metrics don't love him at either. Still, he's a far better version of SRod even if he costs more. Other teams are surely looking at him the same way, so his price may get driven up. I'd think he'd be worth $6-7M/yr for three years - which fits the budget well since they probably won't be going for any big fish.

They should also consider Kang (if he's part of the plan) for some time at 1B. He should be a good glove there. He could move over or come in late in games for D and not leave a gaping hole in the lineup. Then again, Osuna can do that if he makes it (and isn't traded for Dietrich :-/).
mouse

Post by mouse »

I keep thinking Moran might work as a backup at first.Mobility isn't as important there.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

3D3F252335500 wrote: I keep thinking Moran might work as a backup at first.Mobility isn't as important there.
Hitting for power is though and he doesn't provide that either.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Marwin Gonzalez with a homer in Game 2 of ALCS.  The Bucs should pursue him once he declares free agency. I wonder if his name was brought up when the Astros and Bucs were discussing the Cole deal. If it was the Bucs probably passed due his pending free agency after this season.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I just read that Marwin Gonzalez is represented by Scott Boras. I guess we can count the Bucs out on that free agent signing. Even though the relationship with Boras is a little better than in the past, I think there is not a lot of good will between the Bucs and Mr. Boras.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4F4342191019111C1B041E290 wrote: I just read that Marwin Gonzalez is represented by Scott Boras. I guess we can count the Bucs out on that free agent signing. Even though the relationship with Boras is a little better than in the past, I think there is not a lot of good will between the Bucs and Mr. Boras.
I don't know if the relationship between Boras and the Pirates is any better. The only difference is that where they once would not even draft a Boras client (Wieters) they subsequently drafted Alvarez and Cole. The Alvarez signing was very contentious as Boras did everything he could to prevent the signing. And Alvarez turned out to be far less than what was expected. The Cole signing went down to the wire as he signed 15 minutes prior to the deadline and only after being paid the highest signing bonus ever offered to a rookie. And Cole regressed his last 2 years as a Pirate and was traded because everyone on the planet knew he'd never stay with the Bucs when he became a FA. I don't believe they've drafted a Boras client since and have none on the current roster. Tony Watson hired Boras in May 2017 and was traded 2 months later. I think the odds of me winning the Powerball are better than a Boras client signing a free agent contract with the Pirates.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: I just read that Marwin Gonzalez is represented by Scott Boras. I guess we can count the Bucs out on that free agent signing. Even though the relationship with Boras is a little better than in the past, I think there is not a lot of good will between the Bucs and Mr. Boras.
I don't know if the relationship between Boras and the Pirates is any better. The only difference is that where they once would not even draft a Boras client (Wieters) they subsequently drafted Alvarez and Cole. The Alvarez signing was very contentious as Boras did everything he could to prevent the signing. And Alvarez turned out to be far less than what was expected. The Cole signing went down to the wire as he signed 15 minutes prior to the deadline and only after being paid the highest signing bonus ever offered to a rookie. And Cole regressed his last 2 years as a Pirate and was traded because everyone on the planet knew he'd never stay with the Bucs when he became a FA. I don't believe they've drafted a Boras client since and have none on the current roster. Tony Watson hired Boras in May 2017 and was traded 2 months later. I think the odds of me winning the Powerball are better than a Boras client signing a free agent contract with the Pirates.

On the surface, I would agree with your last statement. However, he took a major step back this year play wise. I'm sure a lot of teams will be in on him due to his power and versatility, but he won't be garnering the contract he would have if he duplicated or came close to his 2017 season stats.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think the Bucs have a Boras player on their roster. If I remember correctly, I think Josh Bell is represented by Boras.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Saw the dude on mlbtraderumors do predictions for the top 50 free agents and where they would land and for how much. Martin Gonzalez to the Royals for 3 years at 9 million per. Doesn't mean he will go for that, but if so, that is very doable for the Pirates. Pittsburgh wasn't listed as the destination for any of them.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C4C4D7A6C6C600F0 wrote: Saw the dude on mlbtraderumors do predictions for the top 50 free agents and where they would land and for how much.  Martin Gonzalez to the Royals for 3 years at 9 million per.  Doesn't mean he will go for that, but if so, that is very doable for the Pirates.  Pittsburgh wasn't listed as the destination for any of them.
Shocking! :o :)