Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

A Second Slow Free Agent Offseason

Post by Roberto218 »

Bucs have plenty of salary flexibility!
BenM

Post by BenM »

Deadspin has more on free agency and it's pretty much what I thought. Baseball Is Broken. Can Anything Short of a Strike Fix It?

Manny Machado and Bryce Harper remain unsigned. One of the sport’s best catchers had to settle for a one-year deal. Kyler Murray might play another sport if he can’t get paid. Only the players can fix this, but to do so, they’ll have to risk a work stoppage they’re not currently prepared to win.

The article notes that Andrew McCutchen's contract is the largest signed so far.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F6863400D0 wrote: Deadspin has more on free agency and it's pretty much what I thought. Baseball Is Broken. Can Anything Short of a Strike Fix It?

Manny Machado and Bryce Harper remain unsigned. One of the sport’s best catchers had to settle for a one-year deal. Kyler Murray might play another sport if he can’t get paid. Only the players can fix this, but to do so, they’ll have to risk a work stoppage they’re not currently prepared to win.

The article notes that Andrew McCutchen's contract is the largest signed so far.

this article is saying baseball salaries are too low (the Bucs are doing their part to make it so).
notes34

Post by notes34 »

01333F3F2B193A333E3B3433520 wrote: I would hate a 3 year window for free agency. Few players reach their potential in their first 3 years. It's already bad enough with pitchers, who generally take more time to reach their potential than hitters. The Pirates go thru the growing pains with young pitchers only to see them walk within about a year of becoming the pitcher the team had hoped they would become. It would be difficult for teams to know what to pay a free agent pitcher after 3 years as suitors would be bidding more on potential than productivity. And a small market team would say goodbye to young hitters as soon as they become productive. I believe a 3-year window for free agency would absolutely doom the Pirates. 

I think three year would doom Bucs too.  Possibly go to 5 (if it is five full years you can have a player for 6 seasons) but anything lower than that would kill low budget teams.

I don't think a floor and cap are even on the table among the owners. They would have to agree it is a good idea before even starting to talk to players.  The luxury tax does seem to work as the high payroll teams usually try to avoid going over it.  A cap of $200 million with a floor of $100 million does nothing to help the Pirates. Several teams would still spend $100 million more than the Pirates.

A cap of $200 million with a floor of $140 would help the Pirates but the Pirates would be against it.

I'd love to see a salary floor of around $140M. It just might put enough of a drain on Nutting's revenue-sharing cash cow that he'd be willing to sell the franchise.

You'd be dooming franchises in about 10-12 cities if you do that.  At least not without revenue sharing. 

Sure some SM teams will have salaries around there, but not every single year.  The Brewers are spending now but they sure werent a few years ago when their salary was something like 70MM.  They'd be in a constant fight to hit that number and not have the room to make a big move like they seem to be now.

And if the salary cap is double the floor I'm not really sure what changing the numbers really does.  It's all still relative.  I certainly wouldn't feel any better knowing that we handed some player more money than they deserved just because the Pirates were contractually obligated to.
Other sports have salary caps in the same markets. If MLB really wanted parity there would be more revenue sharing.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Heard this morning that the Chisox are offering $175 M for 7 years. We should offer Machado a 1-yr. deal for as much as 30M. He probably wouldn't sign, but the team has saved $30M dumping the contracts of Nova, Harrison, Mercer, & Freese, so it has no reason not to try. I think he would get us a wildcard spot.

Come on Pirates, shock the world!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

517B70407761616D020 wrote: Heard this morning that the Chisox are offering $175 M for 7 years. We should offer Machado a 1-yr. deal for as much as 30M. He probably wouldn't sign, but the team has saved $30M dumping the contracts of Nova, Harrison, Mercer, & Freese, so it has no reason not to try. I think he would get us a wildcard spot.

Aside from the fact that Nutting would never make a serious bid for Machado and that Machado just left a noncompetitive Oriole team, it's very doubtful he would want to hitch his wagon to a Pirate team whose owner notoriously lacks the incentive to win. But another consideration is that Machado had major surgery on both knees in 2013 (L) and 2014 (R) and is probably aware that his career could be cut short or at least his production could be reduced in the event of further injury. He may prefer a large multi-year deal to a larger annual salary for a single season.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

634942724553535F300 wrote: Heard this morning that the Chisox are offering $175 M for 7 years. We should offer Machado a 1-yr. deal for as much as 30M. He probably wouldn't sign, but the team has saved $30M dumping the contracts of Nova, Harrison, Mercer, & Freese, so it has no reason not to try. I think he would get us a wildcard spot.

I have been mulling something like this over. Maybe even $55 to $60 over two years. I mean, that would only make the payroll around a $100m.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

No reason to even dream about this. They aren't going to commit $25M plus to a guy when they are not expressing any desire to move to a payroll over 100M. If they were to make a decision to boost their target payroll, it would still be questionable, as then you are committing way to high of a percentage to one player.
mouse

Post by mouse »

It seems like they are pained at the thought of moving payroll over 70 MM -- no way they offer any top free agent.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Nick Markakis reups with the Braves. One year $4 million, $2 million buy out. $6 million team option for 2020.

Not that the Bucs should have signed him, but sitting out two free agency periods this slow is criminal.