Troy Tulowitski...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by GermanTownship »

Think that even though Tulo has not played for a long time, he is still the most attractive free agent at shortstop. Others that play the same position will, in all probability, have to wait for him to be signed before they are. Should our Buccos wait for him to decide before they make a trade or sign a good free agent shortstop? I definitely feel that we need an upgrade at the position.
Bobster21

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by Bobster21 »

2705120D010E340F170E13080910600 wrote: Think that even though Tulo has not played for a long time, he is still the most attractive free agent at shortstop. Others that play the same position will, in all probability, have to wait for him to be signed before they are. Should our Buccos wait for him to decide before they make a trade or sign a good free agent shortstop? I definitely feel that we need an upgrade at the position.

From what I've read, it very questionable that Tulo can still play SS. He's even saying he will now play 2B or 3B. And that's separate from the issue of whether he can even remain healthy enough to play any position for very long. Therefore, most teams will not consider him a viable candidate for their starting SS. A contender does not want to rely on him and would have to also have a 2nd legit starting SS on the bench ready to fill in the rest of the season at any time. Tulo is aware of the risk he presents to a team that would rely on him and is saying he wants to go to a team that will promise him steady playing time and a lot of ABs. If he was younger and without his history of injuries, that wouldn't even be an issue. Even at minimum salary with Toronto paying the rest, contending teams will be reluctant to count on him. He may get that offer from a contender to play 2B or 3B but even then the question of his durability remains.

The Pirates could be exactly what Tulo is looking for. They have nothing to lose. They could promise him the SS job and have Gonzalez and/or Newman if Tulo doesn't last long there. Realistically, they aren't a serious threat to contend this year so even if he is not the SS he used to be, how much difference would that make to the Pirates? And if they had to move him to 3B instead of Moran, it would be a plus. While Tulo's health and declining abilities might not be attractive to a contender, he would be a drawing card for PNC Park and could mentor younger players.
OrlandoMerced

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

303C3D666F666E63647B61560 wrote: Is there any reason to think that Rollison has reliable sources?
Rollison was the first to report that the Bucs had a strong interest in Chisenhall prior to his signing. That turned out to be a correct report.

Sounds like he has sources on the Pirates' side of things, but considering this comes down 100% on Tulowitzki's choice, he might not have any insight from people that know what will actually happen, as opposed to what the Pirates think is happening.
SyrBucco

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by SyrBucco »

For the record, I don't want Tulo because he was cut by the Blue Jays and that wouldn't have happened if he still had any real value. I want Iglesias.

However, I think the Bucs will take a shot at him. It's a low cost move, and the Bucs can simply cut him if he doesn't work out, and go to Newman & Gonzalez. They are one of a few teams that can honestly say they will give him a shot to start at SS.

That's why I suspect he wouldn't mind coming here for a year.
Ecbucs

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by Ecbucs »

4F7D71716557747D70757A7D1C0 wrote: OK...before this goes down, I want to be on the record as stating my thoughts...no Monday morning quarterbacking from this guy!

If the Pirates sign Tulo, it's such a typical Pirates move. I hope it works, but this type of signing just epitomizes the way the PBC does business. It reeks of Littlefield, frankly. Washed up, past his prime, former star player. Bring him in for one last go round before the reality of retirement hits. In 2003 it was Reggie Sanders and Kenny Lofton. About a decade later, it was Burnett and Liriano.

Now, I realize that Burnett and Liriano worked out. And, I hope that Tulo proves me wrong and works out as well. But, color me skeptical, at best. In my mind, this is a PR move designed to put butts in seats, have more people tuning in to ATT&T Sports, and sell a few jerseys. I don't see this as being a good baseball move at all.

Like I said back on page one of this thread, five to seven years ago, Tulo was the best SS in MLB, and I frankly don't think there was a close second. This isn't five years ago. And he won't be playing in Coors. Instead, he'll be in one of the worst parks in MLB for a RH power hitter. He's lost a step (or two) defensively. He's been oft-injured, and without watching, I'd bet he's lost some bat speed.

Is Tulo an upgrade over Mercer? Maybe. I'd say it's negligible at this point. But, hey, he costs less. Maybe they'll use the money they save and get another starter to take Nova's spot in the rotation.  ::)

The Chisenhall signing I liked, because he's only keeping a spot warm until Polanco comes back. My guess is the Bucs are the front runners for Tulo because they've offered him either a guaranteed starting role, or at least the inside track to one. And heck, if they bring him in, he probably SHOULD have the inside track to starting based on name alone. But that doesn't mean he's a better baseball player than Newman, Kramer, Gonzalez, et all AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

If they were bringing Tulo in to be infield depth off the bench, maybe play a little third, a little first, start at ss once a week, fine. But, I'm guessing that they are selling him on Pittsburgh by promising that his name will be written on the lineup card every day with a "6" next to it, and the chance to play for Hurdle again.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like this move.

To be fair Reggie Sanders had an OPS over .900 with over 30 HR while on the Pirates, and Kenny Lofton wasn't looking too bad either.  That team should have been better than it ended up being. 

Not trading Sanders that season and letting him go for nothing was another big mistake by DL
fjk090852-7

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just a guess, but if the Pirates end up signing Tulowitzki, I think it will happen this week before Christmas. If it doesn’t happen I think they will pursue Galvis or trade for Ahmed after the New Year.
Bobster21

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by Bobster21 »

MLB Network reported Tulo worked out for the teams interested and looked very good. I think that greatly reduces the chances of him signing with the Pirates, which only makes sense for him if he doesn't get much interest from the others.
mouse

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by mouse »

This is a weird all-around deal. He may well want a one-year pact to rebuild his value and resign for something longer term (beyond his current Blue Jays deal), or he might want something longer term right away. But on this one unique occasion, the Pirates are able to bid with anyone (until it goes beyond the current two-year Toronto assist).
OrlandoMerced

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm pretty sure almost every team would have been willing to take a flyer on him, regardless of how healthy he looked in his workout.

The Pirates have to just throw their hat in the ring, state their desire to have him be their starting short stop and let him choose. I'm sure plenty of other teams have infield spots he could step into, but I'm not sure other teams have the complete hole at SS the Pirates do.
Bobster21

Troy Tulowitski...

Post by Bobster21 »

32302A2C3A5F0 wrote: This is a weird all-around deal. He may well want a one-year pact to rebuild his value and resign for something longer term (beyond his current Blue Jays deal), or he might want something longer term right away. But on this one unique occasion, the Pirates are able to bid with anyone (until it goes beyond the current two-year Toronto assist).

His deal is already set. Any team that signs him takes over his current contract. The catch is that because Toronto released him, they are responsible for continuing to pay all but the MLB minimum each year. His contract calls for 20 million in 2019, 14 million for 2020 and the 4 million buyout for 2021. But the team that signs him will pay only $555,000 for 2019 and whatever the increase is for 2020. So because his contract is already established and any team that signs him pays only the MLB minimum portion of it, Tulo's only issue is how much and where he will play. Any team has nothing to lose by taking him while Toronto pays him, but his injury history makes it tough for top contenders to rely on him. So while he wants to be a starter, a team that signs him and starts him will have to have a solid plan B in case he can't make it thru the season. But the better he looks in a workout, the more likely a top contender is to sign him. IMHO, the Pirates would be a last resort for him if they were offering him the starting SS job while better teams weren't promising him he would start.