Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Managerial Candidates???

Post by IABucFan »

I read an article on the At Bat app that identified three names:

Jeff Banister

Sam Fuld

Derek Shelton

The article said they'd consider other candidates, but it sounds like these three are definitely on the list of candidates. And At Bat is official MLB, so I suspect the team might have pushed these names out there intentionally.
SammyKhalifa

Managerial Candidates???

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Sam Fuld is definitely an interesting name, though sentimentally I kind of pull for Banny too.
DemDog

Managerial Candidates???

Post by DemDog »

Just checked out Fuld's Wiki entry and I am impressed. Not so much with his stats as a pro ballplayer but as his ability to even make it to the bigs and the type of play he was. Read the Wiki and learn more.
mouse

Managerial Candidates???

Post by mouse »

All remains quiet on the manager front. Does that mean they are pretty much decided on who they're hiring and see no need to hurry? Or does it mean they are pondering but not interviewing? They do seem the most closed-mouth team about. I would think if there have been interviews we'd at least hear about it after the fact. The idea of waiting plays into the cheap narrative - they're likely get someone for less once all the other slots are filled (assuming even a bad ML manager job is better than none). But they do seem to put legitimate thought into this sort of thing, so who knows.
BenM

Managerial Candidates???

Post by BenM »

292B313721440 wrote: All remains quiet on the manager front. Does that mean they are pretty much decided on who they're hiring and see no need to hurry? Or does it mean they are pondering but not interviewing? They do seem the most closed-mouth team about. I would think if there have been interviews we'd at least hear about it after the fact. The idea of waiting plays into the cheap narrative - they're likely get someone for less once all the other slots are filled (assuming even a bad ML manager job is better than none). But they do seem to put legitimate thought into this sort of thing, so who knows.

I don't think money will be a factor. Managers are relatively cheap these days. Anyone they are looking at will probably be about 8-900k.

I do think it's weird there haven't been any scheduled interviews. There are seven other teams trying to find a manager while the Bucs are sitting on their butts. Makes me wonder if they haven't already decided (perhaps a handshake deal) on Bannister.

From MLB Trade Rumors

On Friday, shortly after he orchestrated the firing of manager Gabe Kapler, Phillies owner John Middleton met with reporters (including Matt Breen of the Philadelphia Inquirer) to discuss the move and what’s ahead for the team. Kapler was only on the job for two years, seasons in which the Phillies came out of the gate well before faltering in the summer months. In the end, Middleton couldn’t get past those late-season meltdowns.

“Those September collapses. I kept bumping up against them,” said Middleton. “I couldn’t get comfortable or confident enough that if I brought him back we wouldn’t run into other problems and therefore I made the decision I did.”

Imagine that, an owner that publicly takes responsibility for the performance of the team.
JollyRoger

Managerial Candidates???

Post by JollyRoger »

I think they already had pegged Bannister when CH was let go.

I also think Bell would be a good choice. How about Walk as a pitching coach?

Overall it really does not matter who the Manager is. This organization is in terrible shape. Perhaps the least desirable place for any Manager or player to consider.

Management absolutely blew the TV deal by not putting a contender on the field the past few years. That probably cost the team millions.

Being consistently in the bottom 5 in payroll rules out any high end talented free agent. The only free agent players willing to sign with the Pirates would be flawed players or players trying to rebound from poor seasons or injuries.

From a players standpoint, the Pirates are also a team that usually delays a players arbitration clock. Yes, other teams do that also, but the Pirates do it even when they get off to a good start.

We obviously have one of the worst scouting and development departments in baseball. Look at the Dodgers. They draft lower in draft order than the Pirates yet consistently hit on blue chip

Prospects that end up in consideration for ROY. With as many high slot draft positions the Bucs have had; they have hit on a very small percentage.

We have very few nice pieces. (Marte, Newman, Reynolds, Bell- if he gets an extended contract which is unlikely). There is no front of the rotation starting pitching at all in the organization. No catching. We have Kela who I think will be a good closer; but he will not resign here after next year. Perhaps Burdi, Kuhl, & Santana can return to their pre-injury form but that is a very big IF.

Bottom line; I realistically can’t see another World Series appearance in my lifetime. I will have to cherish the memories of Blass & Clemente in 1971 and of Stargell & Teke in 1979.

The Pirate ship is in for a very long stormy dark sailing voyage.

Only new ownership or MLB intervention can save us!
Bobster21

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Bobster21 »

0D282B2B3E1528202235470 wrote: I think they already had pegged Bannister when CH was let go.

I also think Bell would be a good choice. How about Walk as a pitching coach?

Overall it really does not matter who the Manager is. This organization is in terrible shape. Perhaps the least desirable place for any Manager or player to consider.

Management absolutely blew the TV deal by not putting a contender on the field the past few years. That probably cost the team millions.

Being consistently in the bottom 5 in payroll rules out any high end talented free agent. The only free agent players willing to sign with the Pirates would be flawed players or players trying to rebound from poor seasons or injuries.

From a players standpoint, the Pirates are also a team that usually delays a players arbitration clock. Yes, other teams do that also, but the Pirates do it even when they get off to a good start.

We obviously have one of the worst scouting and development departments in baseball. Look at the Dodgers. They draft lower in draft order than the Pirates yet consistently hit on blue chip

Prospects that end up in consideration for ROY. With as many high slot draft positions the Bucs have had; they have hit on a very small percentage.

We have very few nice pieces. (Marte, Newman, Reynolds, Bell- if he gets an extended contract which is unlikely). There is no front of the rotation starting pitching at all in the organization. No catching. We have Kela who I think will be a good closer; but he will not resign here after next year. Perhaps Burdi, Kuhl, & Santana can return to their pre-injury form but that is a very big IF.

Bottom line; I realistically can’t see another World Series appearance in my lifetime. I will have to cherish the memories of Blass & Clemente in 1971 and of Stargell & Teke in 1979.

The Pirate ship is in for a very long stormy dark sailing voyage.

Only new ownership or MLB intervention can save us!
I was surprised they signed a new agreement so quickly. Because of the disappointing performance the last few years I thought they would want to show signs of improvement in order to make a better deal. Firing Hurdle was a start but then they signed the deal before a replacement was named or any players were added. So as far as AT&T knows, it will be more of the same next year. That can't be good when negotiating a new deal.
fjk090852-7

Managerial Candidates???

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Does anyone actually know the terms of the new TV Deal with ATT Sports ? I have not been able to see the amount of money the Pirates will receive or the length of the contract . For all we know it might be a good contract.
BenM

Managerial Candidates???

Post by BenM »

I've always wondered how much team performance plays into cable network deals. They are so long (10-15 even 20 years) that how good a team over time is essentially unknowable.

I suspect that demographics may play a larger factor. How many people in market, how many of them have the cable package that runs Bucco games etc.

Bobster21

Managerial Candidates???

Post by Bobster21 »

1F3833105D0 wrote: I've always wondered how much team performance plays into cable network deals. They are so long (10-15 even 20 years) that how good a team over time is essentially unknowable.

I suspect that demographics may play a larger factor. How many people in market, how many of them have the cable package that runs Bucco games etc.
I think viewership is all the network cares about. So TV market size is a primary concern. However, if a team's performance negatively impacts viewership, it should be a consideration. Seems to me it would be irresponsible for the network to assume the TV audience will be substantially the same regardless of whether the team is a serious contender or a laughingstock with no chance at all.