Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I saw a photo that Bob Nutting has arrived in Bradenton. I wonder what the players think of him, and if they make any comments when they see him.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

So I went over to Pirate City this morning. I was taken back that the usual place where you could stand behind the catchers was not used and the pitchers were throwing behind a large tarp where the general public could not see them. Whoever came up with that one should be taken to the woodshed. Several of us named the new area the secret pitching garden. Several theories quickly surfaced as to the reason why. One is the Pirates had lured Mariano Rivera out of retirement and they were trying to keep it a secret. Anyway for an organization trying to build interest in the club, we found it strange they would take that away. The pitchers came out after 10 and the rest of the position players came out at 11:15 so no one seemed to be in a hurry.

I really wanted to see Polanco throw the ball but all the outfielders did was do some light running drills and then they caught some fly balls shot out of a machine. I also saw some infield practice on the minor league field. Watched Cruz and Tucker take a lot of ground balls and I am starting to change my mind about Cruz's position he is a slick fielder and throws bullets. If they keep him at short he will push Tucker I imagine next year.

I am not sure I am going to invest any more of my time going over there we shall see. I will go over once the minor league teams start to play mid March. Games start this Friday.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5C50510A030A020F08170D3A0 wrote: I saw a photo that Bob Nutting has arrived in Bradenton. I wonder what the players think of him, and if they make any comments when they see him.

Mind you, I'm not a violent person but, every time I see Nutting, I want to take his glasses and twist them into a pretzel.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

2C05030F0D600 wrote: So I went over to Pirate City this morning. I was taken back that the usual place where you could stand behind the catchers was not used and the pitchers were throwing behind a large tarp where the general public could not see them. Whoever came up with that one should be taken to the woodshed. Several of us named the new area the secret pitching garden. Several theories quickly surfaced as to the reason why. One is the Pirates had lured Mariano Rivera out of retirement and they were trying to keep it a secret. Anyway for an organization trying to build interest in the club, we found it strange they would take that away. The pitchers came out after 10 and the rest of the position players came out at 11:15 so no one seemed to be in a hurry.

I really wanted to see Polanco throw the ball but all the outfielders did was do some light running drills and then they caught some fly balls shot out of a machine. I also saw some infield practice on the minor league field. Watched Cruz and Tucker take a lot of ground balls and I am starting to change my mind about Cruz's position he is a slick fielder and throws bullets. If they keep him at short he will push Tucker I imagine next year.

I am not sure I am going to invest any more of my time going over there we shall see. Games start this Friday.

Maybe the tarp is to keep the Astros from seeing the signs from the catchers.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

1C4A5C48475D4D464B5C6E49434F4742004D2E0 wrote: So I went over to Pirate City this morning. I was taken back that the usual place where you could stand behind the catchers was not used and the pitchers were throwing behind a large tarp where the general public could not see them. Whoever came up with that one should be taken to the woodshed. Several of us named the new area the secret pitching garden. Several theories quickly surfaced as to the reason why. One is the Pirates had lured Mariano Rivera out of retirement and they were trying to keep it a secret. Anyway for an organization trying to build interest in the club, we found it strange they would take that away. The pitchers came out after 10 and the rest of the position players came out at 11:15 so no one seemed to be in a hurry.

I am not sure I am going to invest any more of my time going over there we shall see. Games start this Friday.

I think we talked about how we liked to stand behind the catcher and watch the ball come in from the pitcher. Really dumb in my opinion but it is the Pirates . :0))))
BenM

Spring Training Thread

Post by BenM »

0D5B4D59564C5C575A4D7F58525E5653115C3F0 wrote: So I went over to Pirate City this morning. I was taken back that the usual place where you could stand behind the catchers was not used and the pitchers were throwing behind a large tarp where the general public could not see them. Whoever came up with that one should be taken to the woodshed. Several of us named the new area the secret pitching garden. Several theories quickly surfaced as to the reason why. One is the Pirates had lured Mariano Rivera out of retirement and they were trying to keep it a secret. Anyway for an organization trying to build interest in the club, we found it strange they would take that away. The pitchers came out after 10 and the rest of the position players came out at 11:15 so no one seemed to be in a hurry.

Gotta be careful, "You know how it is, man. This is interesting times. Drones and so forth,"

2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

6E47414D4F220 wrote: So I went over to Pirate City this morning. I was taken back that the usual place where you could stand behind the catchers was not used and the pitchers were throwing behind a large tarp where the general public could not see them. Whoever came up with that one should be taken to the woodshed. Several of us named the new area the secret pitching garden. Several theories quickly surfaced as to the reason why. One is the Pirates had lured Mariano Rivera out of retirement and they were trying to keep it a secret. Anyway for an organization trying to build interest in the club, we found it strange they would take that away. The pitchers came out after 10 and the rest of the position players came out at 11:15 so no one seemed to be in a hurry.

I think we talked about how we liked to stand behind the catcher and watch the ball come in from the pitcher. Really dumb in my opinion but it is the Pirates . :0))))

I agree. One of the great features of Spring Training is to give the fans a view of the players and what they can do that's not available at any other time. If people are protected by a fence, and they're behaving themselves, which I'm certain is the case, then I can't think of a good reason to put up the tarp.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Spring Training Thread

6D4A41622F0 wrote: So I went over to Pirate City this morning. I was taken back that the usual place where you could stand behind the catchers was not used and the pitchers were throwing behind a large tarp where the general public could not see them. Whoever came up with that one should be taken to the woodshed. Several of us named the new area the secret pitching garden. Several theories quickly surfaced as to the reason why. One is the Pirates had lured Mariano Rivera out of retirement and they were trying to keep it a secret. Anyway for an organization trying to build interest in the club, we found it strange they would take that away. The pitchers came out after 10 and the rest of the position players came out at 11:15 so no one seemed to be in a hurry.

Gotta be careful, "You know how it is, man. This is interesting times. Drones and so forth,"

I see that's a Tomlin quote. I don't follow football but him saying that doesn't surprise me. He's an odd man with a weird way of saying things.
fjk090852-7

Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I noticed a list today on another site which had groups of players holding infield practice. Cole Tucker was listed on group #2 which from seeing the names on that group it would appear players on that group may not make the Opening Day roster. I hope Tucker performs well in spring training, because I think he has the potential to be a very good player. Many games last season while in Pittsburgh he hit down in the batting order, and I think he would be a good top of the order hitter.
Lecom

Spring Training Thread

Post by Lecom »

6864653E373E363B3C23390E0 wrote: I noticed a list today on another site which had groups of players holding infield practice. Cole Tucker was listed on group #2 which from seeing the names on that group it would appear players on that group may not make the Opening Day roster. I hope Tucker performs well in spring training, because I think he has the potential to be a very good player. Many games last season while in Pittsburgh  he hit down in the batting order, and I think he would be a good top of the order hitter.

The minor guys always seem to be the guys on the first field on the left as you go into Pirate city. That is where he was today.