Now I think there's almost no way ......

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

093C2B2B20192B2B20272B4E0 wrote: Examining the financials of the Braves will tell you how much money these teams have rolling in. 

Let's just say that none of them are hurting.

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/public ... s-francesa

"The Braves are the only publicly traded team in Major League Baseball, Francesa explained, so their financial information is subject to public scrutiny in a way that privately owned teams are exempt from."

I believe that the Blue Jays are also publicly traded.
I trust Forbes' numbers on all of MLB, and in particular any franchise publicly traded. Forbes lists the Braves' operating income, which DOES NOT include debt service, of $92 million. To get the true cash flow position (the ability or lack thereof to meet all financial obligations) one must know what the yearly cash impact of the debt is.

Forbes lists the Braves' debt as 21% of their $1.8 billion value. That works out to $378 million total debt. While no one can know for sure how it is all amortized, my experience from being in business a long time would allow us to look at perhaps a conservative 5 years at 5% annual rate. Looking at a financial tool I have that works out to about an $85 million cash outlay per year just to meet this debt! That leaves $7 million in positive cash flow, which eats up 92% of all the profit!

My friends, the Braves ARE NOT rolling in dough!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7853417B534E5F55597A595459360 wrote: Examining the financials of the Braves will tell you how much money these teams have rolling in. 

Let's just say that none of them are hurting.

https://www.radio.com/sports/mlb/public ... s-francesa

"The Braves are the only publicly traded team in Major League Baseball, Francesa explained, so their financial information is subject to public scrutiny in a way that privately owned teams are exempt from."

I believe that the Blue Jays are also publicly traded.
I trust Forbes' numbers on all of MLB, and in particular any franchise publicly traded. Forbes lists the Braves' operating income, which DOES NOT include debt service, of $92 million. To get the true cash flow position (the ability or lack thereof to meet all financial obligations) one must know what the yearly cash impact of the debt is.

Forbes lists the Braves' debt as 21% of their $1.8 billion value. That works out to $378 million per year. While no one can know for sure how it is all amortized, my experience from being in business a long time would allow us to look at perhaps a conservative 5 years at 5% annual rate. Looking at a financial tool I have that works out to about an $85 million cash outlay per year just to meet this debt! That leaves $7 million in positive cash flow, which eats up 92% of all the profit!

My friends, the Braves ARE NOT rolling in dough!

thanks for doing the calculations. A big factor for the Braves is that they have developed the area around the ballpark so I could see them hurting badly as those businesses are impacted by the virus.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

A once in 100-year pandemic of this magnitude will do just about every entity in. About the only people rolling in it now are the mask makers and morticians, sad to say.

But, in the other 99 years, they're far from hurting.

I will believe professsional sports franchises are suffering the next time I see one relocated or sold to avoid insolvency.

BOB didn't sell even during the bleakest of seasons. He has said that he has no interest in selling and turned people away. I'll assume that he must not be doing all that badly. Hard to imagine why not.

The Mets were on the market. Not sure if they still are or if any other franchises are. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some fallout. These are very difficult times for many.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

Except for Bucs60-71-79(Otis) :-/ plays Golf everyday
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

Owners now willing to pay full prorated salaries, but for regular season that will last 50 games or so. Clearly shows they are not willing to play a season "in the red" so this is how they cut their losses. The more games played without fans, the deeper the losses will be.

I think a reasonable compromise for the good of the sport would be to absorb the losses and go with a half season at full prorated salaries.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would wish that the two sides would get together, and hammer out an agreement without leaking information to the media. Baseball could return to play before hockey, and basketball which would be a shot in the arm for the sport , but the owners and players continue to screw it up. Get it done, and begin ST 2.0.!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Time to just shut it down. Right now, as the two sides try and determine if the general public and media is on "their" side, the people who bought tickets have been left in the cold. There has been no scenario discussed that involves fans. Yet as people bicker over "team player" or "team owner" "team pays the bills" hasn't received what they paid for, won't receive what they paid for, and haven't been refunded. My ticket rep responded to me with a tap dance for the ages when I told him we should be getting refunds now, not later.

It's not that hard. Teams were surprisingly generous for the March-April-May refunds by offering bonus to anyone who chose to take future credits. So why not just continue with that, and just refund everyone/credit everyone? I'm not a business man, but I'm thinking if I offer a 25 percent bonus increase on taking a credit, I could just raise the price of the seats in the off season, and recoup that money anyhow.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Another day without an Agreement between the owners and players. Maybe it is time for Rob Manfred and Tony Clark to resign their positions and other individuals could represent both sides in order to agree on a resolution to play baseball during this period. If there is no baseball this season because the sides could not agree on the distribution of players salaries due to the pandemic, it may take a long time until some fans return to follow the game.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

It will take about a day and a half. Fans will get mad for a couple hours. Somebody will do something good. Then, it's back like it never left.

It's baseball. Players are SUPPOSED to fight with owners. And, vice versa.

And, fans fight with each other.

The way it is.

Blame it on the Chinese.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

I didn't want to be right about the prediction when I started this thread almost six weeks ago. Sadly, things don't look good right now.

At this point owners need to compromise and play half a season at full, prorated salaries, even though they will be in the red for 2020 (losing 43% right off the top will do that to even the most profitable of businesses).

MLBPA is being run by the highest paid players (and Scott Boras, of course), who can afford to sit out the season. The rank and file needs to rise up, but it's not like the NFL where players actually VOTED (imagine that!) on the new agreement several months ago and we didn't see any of the garbage we see with this group.