Should Rob Manfred Be Replaced

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

So, what's it say that we don't already know about him? "Great" guy....."great" guy who hasn't done all that much "great." We've had a lot of great guys who don't win.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

606771797760272B52757F737B7E3C717D7F120 wrote: I've taken the past few months off from baseball.  My reasons were Bob Nutting and then the unbelievable inability for MLB to accomplish anything once the season was postponed.  Once a 2020 season became likely, I started thinking about the game that I love and how it is destroying itself.  I have all kinds of ideas that will never happen (most of them have to do with Bob, but no sense going there....).  I truly believe there is no problem with the game.  It is not too slow, it is not too long, etc.  Attention spans are not the problem.  The double switch (or whatever) is not the problem.  Instead, most games simply have no meaning. Fans get bored with games that seem to have no purpose.  It doesn't matter if its the NFL or MLB.  Once a team is "out of it", the game and atmosphere takes on an entirely different meaning.

I know people who think they hate baseball.  But they actually love COLLEGE baseball.  They've discovered that when a game has meaning, the rhythm and pace of the game actually adds to the suspense, the nerves, the excitement.  Take somebody to MLB playoffs and its the same thing. 

So I'm breaking with tradition in a different way: not with the game itself, but change the season and playoff format.  

NHL (assume 32 teams with Seattle coming in) plays an 82 game schedule.  There are 16 (the upper 1/2) playoff teams; resulting in 4 rounds, each matchup being best of 7.  The NHL plays (counting Seattle) 1,312 regular season games, leading to a possible 105 playoff games involving a total of 16 teams.  I assume the NBA is about the same.

But MLB plays 2,430 regular season games leading to a possibility of 43 playoff games.  There are 10 teams involved, but two get bounced after one game. This is what needs to be changed.  If MLB wants to fix itself, start with a 105 game schedle (12 games against each team in the division, 6 games against each of other teams; no interleague games).  Top 16 teams make the play offs.  Best of seven for each series.  Start the season two weeks later, end the season on Friday of Labor day weekend.  Begin playoffs on Monday Labor Day with 2 games starting at noon, two at 3:00, 2 at 6:00 and 2 at 9:00 (western TZ).  Make Labor Day weekend all about baseball.

Fans would go crazy.  TV ratings would be through the roof and there would be no more talk about baseball dying. 

It's not impossible (only NEXT to impossible).  If they do expand playoffs this year I think the response will force MLB to reconsider the playoffs. 

I get traditional fans; that's me too.  I understand the implications to records; huge.  But this is about saving the game for the next 140 years or whatever.  MLB probably won't make any good decisions, but there is a good opportunity to reinvent the sport while leaving the game alone.  I think it would be a blast.

At first thought, your 105-game season idea (actually, it adds up to 106 games) wasn't one that I thought had merit because baseball's long season, for me, has always been wonderful.  There's something about taking from early spring, through the entire summer, and a month of the fall to determine a champion that is so fulfilling.  But, admittedly, when one's team is bad, it becomes somewhat frustrating watching as fans with contending teams are having all the fun.

After thinking about it, when one's favorite team is bad, a 106-game season would be no different than a 162-game season.  Either way, that team is out of consideration by September 1.  It's just now the day-to-day slogging through the final month of losing baseball is over.  But in your scenario, for the fans of the teams now in the playoffs, the excitement of September baseball is greater than ever.

And while 106 games isn't the marathon that is 162 games, it's still enough to satisfy, especially knowing four, seven-game playoff rounds would await.  The first round between the league's best and worst teams, on the surface, might seem like a waste of time, but what we all know is that, in baseball, above all other sports, winning a series is the most difficult.  We see it all the time during the season when a bad team beats a good team two out of three in a series.  First round series' in baseball would be more unpredictable than any other sport.

Hockey's playoffs are the best of all the sports.  A team that wins four rounds has earned it like no other team in any sport.  Many would say the same about a baseball team that wins out over 162 games and then the World Series.  But in baseball, the winning team may not play the Wildcard game so they get a pass in what amounts to the first round.  Playing a shorter regular season, and then having to win four, seven-game series', I think, would be a greater, more satisfying feat.

I love how you constructed the schedule, eliminating Interleague games.  106 games, all within the league, puts far greater emphasis on winning those games, and sorts out better which teams have earned a higher seeding for the playoffs. 

Of course, the owners would never go for your idea.  Giving up the revenue that comes with the additional 56 games currently played would never fly with them.  But, if those revenues would be equaled by the extra money made by between 56 and 112 playoff games, upwards of another entire season of games, they'd be foolish not to consider it. 

I'm a solid traditionalist, but I think your idea is something to seriously think about.

[highlight]The reality is, neither the owners or the union would go for this because of short term thinking.[/highlight]  But there could be serious financial benefit.  League-wide Average attendance would go up Significantly.  TV rights, frankly, would become more valuable (due to many more playoff games).  Player careers would be extended, especially pitchers.  Most importantly, it would give baseball a fresh re-start. 

My hope (and expectation) was expanded playoffs this year.  If the owners and union witnessed the success I believe would result, MAYBE they could do a lot of “thinking outside the box” next year for the new CBA. I think there is still the possibility of expanded playoffs. 

What makes me scratch my head is that they seem willing to alter long-standing rules to the way the game is played but are unlikely to examine ways off the field that might help them accomplish the same thing, which is to increase and improve the interest in baseball. I don't want the game as it's played changed.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think that after 9 innings I will turn the games off and not care who wins the mutated version of the game that gets played at that point. How do you get excited about winning a game based on a runner scoring who never even got on base but was merely placed there as a gift? I'll watch the baseball game until it ends after 9 innings. I have no interest in watching whatever that thing is that will be played after that.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: I think that after 9 innings I will turn the games off and not care who wins the mutated version of the game that gets played at that point. How do you get excited about winning a game based on a runner scoring who never even got on base but was merely placed there as a gift? I'll watch the baseball game until it ends after 9 innings. I have no interest in watching whatever that thing is that will be played after that.

I have no interest this year, period. I want to see all the rules changes put back. Throw four pitches for an IBB. Get rid of the DH in the NL. Pitchers can pitch to as many batters as the manager deems appropriate. Extra innings will be played under the same rules as the actual game.

But alas, I don’t think we'll ever get these back. I really like baseball. But these rule changes just don’t sit well with me. I don’t care if the other leagues change their rules. That’s fine. The NFL changes their rules every offseason. It’s what they do. But baseball is supposed to be constant. Baseball is different. Not to mention that our team is even further behind the eight ball now. We can’t afford eight regulars let alone nine.

Look at our catching situation this year. Not one competent MLB catcher in that group. No true center fielder. A rotation that would struggle in AAA. And on top of that, the big market teams like the Dodgers and Cubs now have one more spot to put another big bat, never mind the fact that the AL game is the professional version of beer league softball with no strategy, no calculations. No trusting your gut as a manager.

I’m not that old; I’ll be 39 in a month. But the league has clearly said that they’re not interested in fans like me. That’s ok. More time to read and golf, I guess.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

575F5C6B7D587F701E0 wrote: I think that after 9 innings I will turn the games off and not care who wins the mutated version of the game that gets played at that point. How do you get excited about winning a game based on a runner scoring who never even got on base but was merely placed there as a gift? I'll watch the baseball game until it ends after 9 innings. I have no interest in watching whatever that thing is that will be played after that.

I have no interest this year, period. I want to see all the rules changes put back. Throw four pitches for an IBB. Get rid of the DH in the NL. Pitchers can pitch to as many batters as the manager deems appropriate. Extra innings will be played under the same rules as the actual game.

But alas, I don’t think we'll ever get these back. I really like baseball. But these rule changes just don’t sit well with me. I don’t care if the other leagues change their rules. That’s fine. The NFL changes their rules every offseason. It’s what they do. But baseball is supposed to be constant. Baseball is different. Not to mention that our team is even further behind the eight ball now. We can’t afford eight regulars let alone nine.

Look at our catching situation this year. Not one competent MLB catcher in that group. No true center fielder. A rotation that would struggle in AAA. And on top of that, the big market teams like the Dodgers and Cubs now have one more spot to put another big bat, never mind the fact that the AL game is the professional version of beer league softball with no strategy, no calculations. No trusting your gut as a manager.

I’m not that old; I’ll be 39 in a month. But the league has clearly said that they’re not interested in fans like me. That’s ok. More time to read and golf, I guess.

Great post!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This bizarre extra inning mutation of the game is a radical concession to the casual fans they try so hard to appeal to. The fans for whom 9 innings is enough baseball for one day, and let's just get this over with and do something else. But those fans will leave the ballpark or turn off the TV when they've had enough. The more devoted fans of both the team and the game of baseball want to see it through. and not a make believe version of the game they've just invested so much time in. ("Let's pretend a man opened the inning with a double to speed this along.") This whole country is going to hell. Why should baseball be any different?
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I know they're connecting the two, but the extra inning rule doesn't have anything to do with the length of games. It's negligible in the course of the season. They're trying to find a way out of the thing where they have a fifteen.-inning game and then have to send two guys to Triple A because no reliever can throw more than one inning at a time.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

675448494A427449524E5552434F48260 wrote: I know they're connecting the two, but the extra inning rule doesn't have anything to do with the length of games. It's negligible in the course of the season.  They're trying to find a way out of the thing where they have a fifteen.-inning game and then have to send two guys to Triple A because no reliever can throw more than one inning at a time. 
I hope that's all it is and that it will go away the next year. I hate it. Did I mention I hate it? I hate it. Lemme think....nope, still hate it. How about now? Yep, still hate it.

:)
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The only thing that needs changed in MLB is that the Pirates need legitimate, bonafide, authentic, dyed-in-the-wool major league talent.

Anything else falls after that and is merely a diversion.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: I know they're connecting the two, but the extra inning rule doesn't have anything to do with the length of games. It's negligible in the course of the season.  They're trying to find a way out of the thing where they have a fifteen.-inning game and then have to send two guys to Triple A because no reliever can throw more than one inning at a time. 
I hope that's all it is and that it will go away the next year. I hate it. Did I mention I hate it? I hate it. Lemme think....nope, still hate it. How about now? Yep, still hate it.

:)

Both of these posts are good. And accurate. The NFL's overtime rules are a little different than the actual game. College football is. LOT different. But I can live with that. The NHL is a lot different (4 on 4, then a shootout). But I can live with that. It makes sense in those two sports which are MUCH more physically demanding. But basketball plays actual 5-5, same rules, until there's a winner. As it should be. Whatever MLB is trying to do from the tenth inning on, it isn't professional baseball.

As for the NL DH, I can live with it this year. But basing this off of a pitcher potentially getting hurt while hitting or running the bases is...dumb. Millions of little leaguers and high school players manage to do this incredibly dangerous thing everyday without tearing an ACL. But apparently it's too much for the most elitely trained professional athletes in the world on the most pristine playing surfaces on earth.