I can see interest in this season is really picking up!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

645146464D7446464D4A46230 wrote: We won't be seeing Polanco much longer, so it makes no difference to me.  He'll be traded or released.

We'll lose with him on the bench.  We'll lose with some LMG out there. 

So, do I care if the Never Wuz plays over the Never Willbie?  Not really.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5164737378417373787F73160 wrote: They don't have five guys who are long-term solutions to anything.

First, we'd have to agree to the definition of 'long-term.'  Long-term as in, 'McCutchen,' or, long-term, as in 'Cole?'

Then, how many are capable of taking the team any further than they did, or, even as far?

I see close to 0.

Long-term in sports today is 'two seasons.'  Probably true in most of life.

Long term solutions are consist of guys that help for three years. We are talking the Pirates, so that is why I use three. Bandaids plague this roster like anything. Basically every pitcher is a bandaid ... all the catchers are bandaids ... alot more are bandaids, including Polanco who is a walking bandaid.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D5D5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: When they interview Shelton, I am reminded of Baghdad Bob.  He goes on and on about how good this guy played and how good that guy pitched while we are 2-7 with the worst record in all of baseball. Yea his postgame press conferences are bizarre at times. He seems more concerned with talking about how good this guy did or that guy did rather then concerned about the overall result of the game. Like I’ve been saying I don’t wanna judge this guy too soon he doesn’t have enough of a body of work but so far I’m not seeing much I like about what Shelton brings to the table. He needs to be a lot better to show me he is the right person I want managing this team moving forward because so far I’m just not seeing it at all.

I know this came up before, I'm really starting to believe that they are looking at this year as spring training for 2021. Is this all about seeing who has a glimmer of talent in them and who doesn't? I can't see any other reason for managing this way.

A lot of previous bad Pirates teams were average or below at just about every position on the field. This team is a little different in that there are multiple solid players, but the holes are cavernous. And not even trying to fill them just doesn't make sense if you're taking this season seriously at all. There is absolutely no excuse for having a roster constructed such that you're starting Cole Tucker in center less than ten games into the season. If Shelton is punting on 2020 like a lot of people are suggesting then quit playing guys like Gonzalez, Dyson and Heredia over guys like Newman, Osuna, Tucker and Hayes when he is healthy for example that might have a future on this team moving forward. I don’t need to see Gonzalez playing short one night then 3rd the next night. Gonzalez stinks he can’t hit and isn’t gonna play short over a guy like Newman or play 3rd over guys like Moran or Hayes. I don’t need to see Dyson a guy who nobody in baseball wanted and has less then zero future here starting in CF 4-5 times a week, and a stiff like Heredia who hits .220 taking at bats and playing time away from guys like Osuna and Tucker. Play your best players basically every game in this 60 game stretch. You have nothing to lose by doing so and I just don’t feel so far Shelton has come anywhere close to doing so these first 9 games. He seems more interested in playing Mr Manager then he does winning games and playing his best players.

[highlight]Play the guys that have a chance to be long term solutions.[/highlight]  Polanco isn't a long term solution; neither is Heredia; or Dyson or Gonzo.  I'm intrigued enough in Evans to want to see him.  [highlight]Continuing to play guys that serve no purpose past this year is insane.[/highlight]

This is exactly the point I've been making. I firmly believe this was BC's intention this season, especially knowing what his payroll limitations were. I believe his plan was to see if anyone on this roster could ably serve over the next three to four seasons while he rebuilt the organization.

He has no one to trade and little in the minor leagues to promote. It's as if he's running a first year expansion team that's worse off than the '62 Mets. They at least had some veteran players with track records, such as they were. BC has less than that.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Different shades, just a fresher smell. ;)
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

04233236332E11253233332E570 wrote: Guys I’d like to see playing every night are Bell,Frazier, Newman, Moran, Hayes-(when healthy), Reynolds, Tucker, Osuna. Evans intrigues me some but not enough to see everyday. And I have no interests in seeing Polanco play anymore. Those are the 9 or 10 guys that should be in the lineup every night the rest of the season period end of story. Another thing where is Will Craig at?? I can’t believe he is not good enough to not be on the roster over guys like Dyson or Heredia. This guy made your Minor League All Star team last year call him up and give him some at bats for Crying out loud.
I agree on Dyson, Heredia, are worthless and are taking taking playing time from guy like Martin. Feliz is just a disaster, totally don't know why he's still being ran out there. Hoped the new pitching coach could help but guess not.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4353526573737F100 wrote: They don't have five guys who are long-term solutions to anything.

First, we'd have to agree to the definition of 'long-term.'  Long-term as in, 'McCutchen,' or, long-term, as in 'Cole?'

Then, how many are capable of taking the team any further than they did, or, even as far?

I see close to 0.

Long-term in sports today is 'two seasons.'  Probably true in most of life.

Long term solutions are consist of guys that help for three years.  We are talking the Pirates, so that is why I use three.  Bandaids plague this roster like anything.  Basically every pitcher is a bandaid ... all the catchers are bandaids ... alot more are bandaids, including Polanco who is a walking bandaid.

I'll go along with the three years.

I don't see very many. If there were, we would be far better than we finished last season, and this season would look quite a bit better. Just my opinion.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I've watched most of the games, or at least until the DirecTV baseball recording stops because the game has exceeded this year's 4.5 hr recording time limit.

A few comments ---

1) Cora was a bad third base coach last year. Regardless of what positive actions he may take the rest of the year, sending Stallings home was unforgivable. If Cherington is using this season to evaluate the team, Cora has no place on the team next year.

2) I understand putting pitchers on a pitch count at the beginning of a season, but pulling Brault yesterday after 3 innings and 35 pitches was disrespectful to Brault and to the game. And, how is it that Brault can only pitch 3 innings while your other starters can go more. That's right, we have the very crafty left/right tandem of Brault/Kuhl; don't want to mess with something that is all of a 2 game experiment. Note to Team - Keller is now hurt. You need another starter. Perhaps Kuhl could enter a game at its beginning instead of in the 4th.

3) I concur with Bobster regarding bunting a guy to 3rd with no outs. Go with the shot of driving them in from 2nd with the next 3 guys at the plate.

4) I concur with several who suggested that guys like Dyson, Heredia and Gonzalez should be used as pinch-runners and Sunday players rather than being frequent starters. If Newman is your regular SS, then Cole should be seeing regular time in the outfield.

5) Bell and Polanco need to get hot and soon so they have potential trade value before the end of August. In this short season, a player on a tear could help lead a number of competing teams to the play-offs. And, where is Kela. He needs to be on the mound to show that he has some trade value.

6) The broadcasters have stated that the atmosphere in the Pirate clubhouse is so much better this year than last. While I hope that this is true, after a while, there is not much fun in losing every night.

7) Does anyone know if Jimmy Anderson is still available to pitch? The way the Bucs are burning through pitchers, they are going to need to search far and wide just to find enough folks to finish the season.

8) Waiting for Shelton to do something to make me feel good about him.

9) Good that Stallings was not hurt when he tried to score. Catching nearly every day is hard enough, but it is even worse when you are sent home on a kamikaze mission.

10) 2 and 7. Yep. I am a Pirate fan.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

18343C3B3017203626550 wrote: I've watched most of the games, or at least until the DirecTV baseball recording stops because the game has exceeded this year's 4.5 hr recording time limit.

A few comments ---

1)  Cora was a bad third base coach last year.   Regardless of what positive actions he may take the rest of the year, sending Stallings home was unforgivable.  If Cherington is using this season to evaluate the team, Cora has no place on the team next year.   

2)  I understand putting pitchers on a pitch count at the beginning of a season, but pulling Brault yesterday after 3 innings and 35 pitches was disrespectful to Brault and to the game.  And, how is it that Brault can only pitch 3 innings while your other starters can go more.   That's right, we have the very crafty left/right tandem of Brault/Kuhl; don't want to mess with something that is all of a 2 game experiment.   Note to Team - Keller is now hurt.  You need another starter.  Perhaps Kuhl could enter a game at its beginning instead of in the 4th.

3)  I concur with Bobster regarding bunting a guy to 3rd with no outs.  Go with the shot of driving them in from 2nd with the next 3 guys at the plate.

4)  I concur with several who suggested that guys like Dyson, Heredia and Gonzalez should be used as pinch-runners and Sunday players rather than being frequent starters.  If Newman is your regular SS, then Cole should be seeing regular time in the outfield.

5)  Bell and Polanco need to get hot and soon so they have potential trade value before the end of August.  In this short season, a player on a tear could help lead a number of competing teams to the play-offs.   And, where is Kela.  He needs to be on the mound to show that he has some trade value.   

[highlight] 6 The broadcasters have stated that the atmosphere in the Pirate clubhouse is so much better this year than last. [/highlight] While I hope that this is true, after a while, there is not much fun in losing every night.

7)  Does anyone know if Jimmy Anderson is still available to pitch?  The way the Bucs are burning through pitchers, they are going to need to search far and wide just to find enough folks to finish the season.

8)  Waiting for Shelton to do something to make me feel good about him.

9)  Good that Stallings was not hurt when he tried to score.  Catching nearly every day is hard enough, but it is even worse when you are sent home on a kamikaze mission.

10)  2 and 7.   Yep.   I am a Pirate fan.   

I'd hate to see it if that wasn't the case.  ;)  I mean, that isn't the toughest rope to jump over.  ;) 
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

207660747B61717A776052757F737B7E3C71120 wrote: No game thread about a week into the season on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm already turning hard on Shelton. I hate his lineups. Hate that he pulled Brault after getting nine easy outs. (I get that maybe he's not stretched out for a long game but he couldn't have gone four?)

There are few things worse than a team that doesn't have a set group of eight starters.  Shelton has too many choices to play too many of the positions, but few of them are good enough to be quality major league players who can help win a championship.  Who among them would start for any of the top 25 clubs?

Other GMs aren't going to feel sorry for the Pirates and let BC win any trades.  In fact, they'll do everything they can to take advantage of his situation.  His only trade piece is Bell, but how solid is that when he's had one, three-month streak of hitting to hang his hat on?  Cherington's in a poker game with less than nothing in his hand.

That doesn't mean he shouldn't try, of course.  He has to be able to get the right free agents to sign here, convince them that he's going to make the Pirates legitimate.  Otherwise, those players will have 15-20 other more competitive clubs to choose from.  Then he's got to have three good drafts in a row, along with a handful of quality international signings, with players who can reach Pittsburgh quickly, like we've seen in Atlanta, Washington, and Los Angeles.  It won't be easy but I believe he's more capable of making it happen than Huntington.

Sadly, he still has the Nutting roadblock to overcome.  We've all seen that act before.

Not allowing fans to attend games, will save Nutting from additional embarrassment.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You think BOB's embarrassed?

Come on, man. You've been following this team.

BOB is probably on some Carribean island drinking Mai Tais, watching the boats go by, fanning himself with $100 bills. If one falls on the beach, he doesn't even bother to pick it up.

That's the only kind of fan he even knows.