Young Players

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Young Players

Post by GreenWeenie »

They don't even want to pay, let alone overpay.

Andy Mac wanted to stay. We'll never know what he was asking for, or what he was offered. But, if I had to guess, he was probably reasonable.

So, what happens? They did all they could to say how washed up he was, or soon would be. So washed up that he was the second-best player on the club.

That's the Pirates treatment. Players know it. Wives and girlfriends know it. Agents know it. Competitors know it.
GreenWeenie

Young Players

Post by GreenWeenie »

Bottom Line: Pittsburgh Pirates

By Paul Ladewski on June 4, 2020

This franchise had it all — tradition, legends and championship banners. Only one (guess who) won more World Series in the 1960s-1970s decades.

Then free agency went bonkers, some jamoke owner took over, and a once-proud franchise was reduced to rubble.

What you see here <best starting nine of all time> is likely what you’ll get decades from now.[highlight] No superstar will ever be in the ‘Burgh long enough.

[/highlight]

<I'm wondering- if for one day, meaning- ever.>
skinnyhorse

Young Players

Post by skinnyhorse »

574F4D4A4A5D4C4B565741240 wrote: The right approach is develop a #1 farm system and make a couple of smart trades, start to have winning seasons consistently and then I have no problem looking for the right free agent to make you better.  Trying to start winning through free agency is a fools errand and will not lead to long term success.
The only way for the pirates to become relevant again in baseball is to do the above. We can wish all we want but you have to have a group of great players developed like we used to with guys like Al Oliver, Richie Hebner, Bob Robertson, the Cobra, John Candelaria, Richie Zisk and on and on. Get busy doing the business of identifying players with exceptional talent and make us relevant again. If this GM doesn't do this and do it quickly we are doomed.
Ecbucs

Young Players

Post by Ecbucs »

352D2F28283F2E29343523460 wrote: The right approach is develop a #1 farm system and make a couple of smart trades, start to have winning seasons consistently and then I have no problem looking for the right free agent to make you better.  Trying to start winning through free agency is a fools errand and will not lead to long term success.
The only way for the pirates to become relevant again in baseball is to do the above.  We can wish all we want but you have to have a group of great players developed like we used to with guys like Al Oliver, Richie Hebner, Bob Robertson, the Cobra, John Candelaria, Richie Zisk and on and on. Get busy doing the business of identifying players with exceptional talent and make us relevant again.  If this GM doesn't do this and do it quickly we are doomed.

Neal H. said that was his plan and he was able to fool people into thinking he had done it when the team won in 2013, 2014, and 2015. Instead he had not built up anything (remember his statement about there is no window for contention but the goal is to always contend or something like that).

Under BC the Pirates need to have one of the top 3 or 4 farms systems by 2023 or it is time to move on.
GreenWeenie

Young Players

Post by GreenWeenie »

Doesn't matter even if he does.

Do you think that, for one moment, BOB Nutting is ever going to pay someone along the lines of Dave Parker alone- just ONE player, who was agruably the best player in the league for about five years.

He wouldn't even pay Gerrit Cole.

He wouldn't pay Andrew McCutchen.

Not both of them.  Neither of them.

So, you tell me- how is he "going to pay" a roster capable of being the best in the game?

He won't. BOB Nutting. End of story.

So much for that.
skinnyhorse

Young Players

Post by skinnyhorse »

6B5E4949427B49494245492C0 wrote: Doesn't matter even if he does.

Do you think that, for one moment, BOB Nutting is ever going to pay someone along the lines of Dave Parker alone- just ONE player, who was agruably the best player in the league for about five years.

So, you tell me- how is he "going to pay" a roster capable of being the best in the game?

He won't.  BOB Nutting.  End of story.

So much for that.
Red Soxs wouldn't pay Mookie's price again players take FA because they ask more than they are worth.
JollyRoger

Young Players

Post by JollyRoger »

1E2B3C3C370E3C3C37303C590 wrote: Doesn't matter even if he does.

He won't.  BOB Nutting.  End of story.

So much for that.
Agreed. He WON’T!!

As stated earlier, the only way for the Bucs to win is to have a large amount of top prospects arrive at the same time like what happened in 1970. BC will need to hit at a high % on all his drafts and augment that with highly productive International signings.

That may give us a 3-4 year window to compete. I do think BC did a good job in the 2020 draft and hopefully the prospects received for Marte will be impact players.

If that doesn’t happen; then someone needs to plant a swastika in Nutting’s dresser so that MLB can throw him out like Marge Schott.

Then we can call on Mark Cuban.
GreenWeenie

Young Players

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree that BC should be able to field a "winning" roster as his predecessor did.

Just not a WORLD SERIES winning one, and that's what I consider "winning." Actually, I'm OK with being one of the two NLCS teams, as I see that as our max out.