Official Game Thread - 4/15 - Bucs vs Padres 12:35 start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4D565B5A535F503E0 wrote: Who was Shelton going to pinch hit?  Difo?  Alford?  Cheringtopn has left this roster completely devoid of pinch hitters.

with bases loaded I think you should use your best hitter on the bench.  No use of saving him for later as this is the chance to get back into the game and you may not get another one.

As someone else posted, what is the most Keller can give on the mound, 1 more inning (which it turns out he couldn't do).

I had high hopes that Keller was going to put everything together this season.  I still have some hope for him but he is starting to look like a failed starter.

_______

If Shelton had pinch hit Evans in thee 2nd inning and Evans made an out, Fans would be screaming for Shelton's head for using Evans so early.

Alford got a hit
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Teams have been running at will on the bucs and lt leads to a run
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Huh. Imagine that. Alford AND Difo with pinch hits today but shedman defends shelton letting keller to bat. Shed must have keller going in fantasy hoping to squeeze out that inning
shedman

Post by shedman »

587E796C65697E68600B0 wrote: Huh. Imagine that. Alford AND Difo with pinch hits today but shedman defends shelton letting keller to bat. Shed must have keller going in fantasy hoping to squeeze out that inning
______

Nope, I have Paddack in fantasy. :)
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: It was so worth it to keep Keller in the game so that he could continue his horrid "pitching" and get removed less than 2 innings later anyway. At least he gained valuable experience striking out with the bases loaded and 1 out, down by 5. Can we get John Russell back so that he can do absolutely nothing every game instead of the incredibly idiotic things Shelton routinely does?   :(

Memories of John Russell the walking zombie. God he was awful and Shelton is following in his footsteps. I know some on this board did not like Hurdle; but I would welcome him back with open arms to get Shelton out of town
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

64414242577C41494B5C2E0 wrote: It was so worth it to keep Keller in the game so that he could continue his horrid "pitching" and get removed less than 2 innings later anyway. At least he gained valuable experience striking out with the bases loaded and 1 out, down by 5. Can we get John Russell back so that he can do absolutely nothing every game instead of the incredibly idiotic things Shelton routinely does?   :(

Memories of John Russell the walking zombie. God he was awful and Shelton is following in his footsteps. I know some on this board did not like Hurdle; but I would welcome him back with open arms to get Shelton out of town

I thought McClendon was the worst of all. Russell did nothing, which I found preferable to doing dumb things like McClendon. Shelton is now giving McClendon a run for his money. So I'm back to wishing for a manager who does nothing again. IMHO, Hurdle was an average manager who did everything by formula even when it wasn't the right choice for his team. The Pirates needed better than a formula-driven average manager. The Pirates never seem to find a manager who gets the most out of his team even if there's not much there to begin with. But as Shelton demonstrates, a bad manager makes a bad team even worse than it has to be,
WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

Heh. Some of you guys are being a tad harsh on the skipper. This being another punt year, he's not going to manage like these games matter that much. And giving a young pitcher a chance to chalk up some good innings while avoiding another full-blown bullpen game is better than letting Keller stew about his start today in the shower while some PH (likely) whiffs with the bases loaded.

Some of these guys, like it or not, still have some training wheels on. Shelton is more in-line with what Cherington wants to see than us impatient and irritated fans.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7E656869606C630D0 wrote: Who was Shelton going to pinch hit?  Difo?  Alford?  Cheringtopn has left this roster completely devoid of pinch hitters.

with bases loaded I think you should use your best hitter on the bench.  No use of saving him for later as this is the chance to get back into the game and you may not get another one.

As someone else posted, what is the most Keller can give on the mound, 1 more inning (which it turns out he couldn't do).

I had high hopes that Keller was going to put everything together this season.  I still have some hope for him but he is starting to look like a failed starter.

_______

If Shelton had pinch hit Evans in thee 2nd inning and Evans made an out, Fans would be screaming for Shelton's head for using Evans so early.

only the dumb ones.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B353A3A30393E3D303014392E335C0 wrote: Heh.  Some of you guys are being a tad harsh on the skipper.  This being another punt year, he's not going to manage like these games matter that much.  And giving a young pitcher a chance to chalk up some good innings while avoiding another full-blown bullpen game is better than letting Keller stew about his start today in the shower while some PH (likely) whiffs with the bases loaded.

Some of these guys, like it or not, still have some training wheels on.  Shelton is more in-line with what Cherington wants to see than us impatient and irritated fans.
Shelton doesn't rile me up. Nah. No way.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

It's so great that Newman batted .606 in ST and never struck out. He's currently hitting .174. :o