The calliopes can be heard from here to Sewickley

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7325332728322229243301262C20282D6F22410 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Will Craig has played 15 total MLB games. The guy was a third baseman. He has NO STRATEGY playing First. Why is he in this position? Bob Nutting doesn't value baseball, the Pirates, or the city of Pittsburgh. He doesn't care how the city is represented- he doesn't live in the city or the state. He doesn't care about baseball. He doesn't interact with fans, nor does he sit in the stands. He sits in his ivory tower suite counting his money because he is afraid of his own fanbase.

We have to come to a point where we stop pointing and laughing at players that shouldn't even be playing in the Majors. (Moran and Evans are out, but there has to be a next man up with a strategy at the position.) If a six-year-old is driving a car, you don't point and laugh at the situation. You rip them out of the car, and lecture the adult in the car that handed the kid the keys and said "drive."

When people were getting all over my case about it I pretty much said what you said in the first two paragraphs. Really think I need to take the Pirates license plate holder off my car.

I probably need to be more clear about my finger pointing: I lay the blame for this embarrassment at the feet of one person, and it's not Craig or any of the boys in black and gold.  It's not Ben C.  And its not the manager.

This is a result of one Bob Nutting.  I only know one thing about plumbing - crap rolls down hill.  And while I'm not exactly sure how that applies in this case, this seems like the perfect time to use it.

One question: If Will Craig was playing 1st base on any of the other 29 MLB teams, do you think he would have made the same mistake?  I don't believe there is any chance that this player would have so poorly executed on any other team.  None.  So why did it happen here?

Maybe Ben C needs to do a better job organizationally on fundamentals?  Did he send out the Spring memo on The 1st to Home Rundown?  I seriously doubt it, but he probably never sent the memo on how to chew gun without getting it in their hair or stuck in their throwing hand.  The Pirates don't spend any time on things that never happen, and I doubt any of the other 29 teams do.  So why did it happen here?

So it must be on Shelty - before the game he must have forgotten to remind the team how to execute the 1st to home rundown.  Further, he's clearly encouraging such national embarrassment on the next player by not chewing Craig's rear-end out and humiliating him in the media.  My guess is there is not one coach at any level of professional baseball that has ever mentioned this "play".  It's probably the only time its ever been "executed" in the history of the game.  And the last thing the manager needs to do is to further embarrass Craig or the rest of the team by treating them like this play happened due to lack of interest.  So why did it happen?

Because this embarrassment is simply one more embarrassment by a sh!!!ty organization that embarrasses itself regularly.  Every time the Rays take the field, the Pirates are humiliated.  When the jerk in the Mets uni makes a joke of having to watch the Pirates play, it's another humilation.  When  SI writes about the Pirates draft at 1-1 and they make note that with this ownership anything could happen with the selection, the Pirates are embarrassed. 

S!!t rolls down hill, and sitting at the top of hill is one Bob Nutting.  He's not held accountable.  The origination is not accountable.  The fans and players?  Oh yeah, they get held accountable.  Not in my book - Will Craig simply hasn't had enough time learning to play in a field filled with manure. 

:'( :'( :'(

Very well said and I agree. I have trouble understanding why someone (Mr. Nutting) would buy something very expensive and not want to take some pride in it. I know nothing of the money side of things in MLB but I assume he is making a nice profit off this embarrassment.

I'd love to have heard his private thoughts on the "play".

One thing I'm pretty confident of is that someone had to explain the Will Craig play to him.  He has no idea what's going on on a baseball field.

Once I was with a small group of fans that took a gentlemen from Nigeria to his first ever baseball game. I stuck pretty much to balls and strikes. But one friend who is a great fan was determined to tell our quest about the details. Sacrifice bunts, infield rule, change up versus fast ball, etc. This goes on for about 5 innings when my friend asks our guest "so what do you think about baseball"? Our guest sits there for a minute clearly trying to reply and he finally says: "is good game I think, but one thing i still don't understand." "What's that" my friend asks. Guest with a 100% sincerity: "so I still do not understand why the dirt is curved?" I bust a gut laughing. My friend sits there for about a minute, gets up and disappears for about 10 minutes; had one beer in the concourse and brought another back to the seats; barely said word the rest of the game.

Bob to Ogden: Holy smokes dad, did you see that play?!"

O to B: No son, I was asleep. Learned to do that not long after I gave this to you.

B to O: well it was incredible play. I think maybe it was a double play.

O to B - Double play?? Are you sure?

B to O - Of course I'm sure. The guy at 1st ran home and the guy at 3rd ran home. At the same time. I think it was a double play.

O to B - just wake me when the game is over son....
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

292E38303E296E621B3C363A3237753834365B0 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Will Craig has played 15 total MLB games. The guy was a third baseman. He has NO STRATEGY playing First. Why is he in this position? Bob Nutting doesn't value baseball, the Pirates, or the city of Pittsburgh. He doesn't care how the city is represented- he doesn't live in the city or the state. He doesn't care about baseball. He doesn't interact with fans, nor does he sit in the stands. He sits in his ivory tower suite counting his money because he is afraid of his own fanbase.

We have to come to a point where we stop pointing and laughing at players that shouldn't even be playing in the Majors. (Moran and Evans are out, but there has to be a next man up with a strategy at the position.) If a six-year-old is driving a car, you don't point and laugh at the situation. You rip them out of the car, and lecture the adult in the car that handed the kid the keys and said "drive."

When people were getting all over my case about it I pretty much said what you said in the first two paragraphs. Really think I need to take the Pirates license plate holder off my car.

I probably need to be more clear about my finger pointing: I lay the blame for this embarrassment at the feet of one person, and it's not Craig or any of the boys in black and gold.  It's not Ben C.  And its not the manager.

This is a result of one Bob Nutting.  I only know one thing about plumbing - crap rolls down hill.  And while I'm not exactly sure how that applies in this case, this seems like the perfect time to use it.

One question: If Will Craig was playing 1st base on any of the other 29 MLB teams, do you think he would have made the same mistake?  I don't believe there is any chance that this player would have so poorly executed on any other team.  None.  So why did it happen here?

Maybe Ben C needs to do a better job organizationally on fundamentals?  Did he send out the Spring memo on The 1st to Home Rundown?  I seriously doubt it, but he probably never sent the memo on how to chew gun without getting it in their hair or stuck in their throwing hand.  The Pirates don't spend any time on things that never happen, and I doubt any of the other 29 teams do.  So why did it happen here?

So it must be on Shelty - before the game he must have forgotten to remind the team how to execute the 1st to home rundown.  Further, he's clearly encouraging such national embarrassment on the next player by not chewing Craig's rear-end out and humiliating him in the media.  My guess is there is not one coach at any level of professional baseball that has ever mentioned this "play".  It's probably the only time its ever been "executed" in the history of the game.  And the last thing the manager needs to do is to further embarrass Craig or the rest of the team by treating them like this play happened due to lack of interest.  So why did it happen?

Because this embarrassment is simply one more embarrassment by a sh!!!ty organization that embarrasses itself regularly.  Every time the Rays take the field, the Pirates are humiliated.  When the jerk in the Mets uni makes a joke of having to watch the Pirates play, it's another humilation.  When  SI writes about the Pirates draft at 1-1 and they make note that with this ownership anything could happen with the selection, the Pirates are embarrassed. 

S!!t rolls down hill, and sitting at the top of hill is one Bob Nutting.  He's not held accountable.  The origination is not accountable.  The fans and players?  Oh yeah, they get held accountable.  Not in my book - Will Craig simply hasn't had enough time learning to play in a field filled with manure. 

Very well said and I agree. I have trouble understanding why someone (Mr. Nutting) would buy something very expensive and not want to take some pride in it. I know nothing of the money side of things in MLB but I assume he is making a nice profit off this embarrassment.

One thing I'm pretty confident of is that someone had to explain the Will Craig play to him.  He has no idea what's going on on a baseball field.

Once I was with a small group of fans that took a gentlemen from Nigeria to his first ever baseball game.  I stuck pretty much to balls and strikes.  But one friend who is a great fan was determined to tell our quest about the details. Sacrifice bunts, infield rule, change up versus fast ball, etc.  This goes on for about 5 innings when my friend asks our guest "so what do you think about baseball"?  Our guest sits there for a minute clearly trying to reply and he finally says: "is good game I think, but one thing i still don't understand."  "What's that" my friend asks.  Guest with a 100% sincerity: "so I still do not understand why the dirt is curved?"  I bust a gut laughing.  My friend sits there for about a minute, gets up and disappears for about 10 minutes; had one beer in the concourse and brought another back to the seats; barely said word the rest of the game.

O to B: No son, I was asleep.  Learned to do that not long after I gave this to you.

B to O: well it was incredible play.  I think maybe  it was a double play. 

O to B - Double play??  Are you sure?

B to O - Of course I'm sure.  The guy at 1st ran home and the guy at 3rd ran home.  At the same time.  I think it was a double play.

;D. I can see that happening.

Great story about the Nigerian fellow. Funny stuff.
rucker59@gmail.com

6A3C2A3E312B3B303D2A183F35393134763B580 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Once I was with a small group of fans that took a gentlemen from Nigeria to his first ever baseball game.  I stuck pretty much to balls and strikes.  But one friend who is a great fan was determined to tell our quest about the details. Sacrifice bunts, infield rule, change up versus fast ball, etc.  This goes on for about 5 innings when my friend asks our guest "so what do you think about baseball"?  Our guest sits there for a minute clearly trying to reply and he finally says: "is good game I think, but one thing i still don't understand."  "What's that" my friend asks.  Guest with a 100% sincerity: "so I still do not understand why the dirt is curved?"  I bust a gut laughing.  My friend sits there for about a minute, gets up and disappears for about 10 minutes; had one beer in the concourse and brought another back to the seats; barely said word the rest of the game.

O to B: No son, I was asleep.  Learned to do that not long after I gave this to you.

B to O - Of course I'm sure.  The guy at 1st ran home and the guy at 3rd ran home.  At the same time.  I think it was a double play.

Great story about the Nigerian fellow.  Funny stuff.

LOL!

I’ve actually sat near Ogden.  He seems like a real fan.  And a nice guy, though I never actually bugged him.  I felt like I could have spoken to him.  I’ve never seen Bob.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

707761696770373B42656F636B6E2C616D6F020 wrote: Here we are again. The laughing stock of the league. Instead of people pointing the finger at ownership and the front office, they're pointing and laughing at the boys put in the position to represent us.

Great story about the Nigerian fellow.  Funny stuff.

LOL!

I’ve actually sat near Ogden.  He seems like a real fan.  And a nice guy, though I never actually bugged him.  I felt like I could have spoken to him.  I’ve never seen Bob.

I've never seen Bob in person, either, but he looks really nerdish and geeky on television. And wish someone would tell him to button the top button on his shirts. I don't know what he's trying to say but he looks ridiculous.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Once I was with a small group of fans that took a gentlemen from Nigeria to his first ever baseball game. I stuck pretty much to balls and strikes. But one friend who is a great fan was determined to tell our quest about the details. Sacrifice bunts, infield rule, change up versus fast ball, etc. This goes on for about 5 innings when my friend asks our guest "so what do you think about baseball"? Our guest sits there for a minute clearly trying to reply and he finally says: "is good game I think, but one thing i still don't understand." "What's that" my friend asks. Guest with a 100% sincerity: "so I still do not understand why the dirt is curved?" I bust a gut laughing. My friend sits there for about a minute, gets up and disappears for about 10 minutes; had one beer in the concourse and brought another back to the seats; barely said word the rest of the game.

O to B: No son, I was asleep. Learned to do that not long after I gave this to you.

B to O: well it was incredible play. I think maybe it was a double play.

O to B - Double play?? Are you sure?

B to O - Of course I'm sure. The guy at 1st ran home and the guy at 3rd ran home. At the same time. I think it was a double play.

That was a great story. Gave me a good early morning laugh. [smiley=beer.gif]
rucker59@gmail.com

4750465613151214121C250 wrote:

That was a great story. Gave me a good early morning laugh. [smiley=beer.gif]

A good story. In real time, a couple of us just busted out laughing as soon as our guest asked about the dirt (and I gave a direct quote, I’ll never forget it). He was so sincere, spoke with a very dignified accent, trying hard to honor my friend who was doing all the explaining. It was the perfect answer delivered perfectly for the moment.

Bar keep, another round!

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]