The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

Interesting salary news. I suspect it's a little bit of secondary pressure on the Union. I'm waiting to see the Commissioner's Office release the earnings of each team from all sources, including those secondary deals where the team owns an interest in the broadcast partner. But then, the Union is waiting for that as well.

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2021/12 ... teams.html
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It has been a month since the lockout, and I would hope with the New Year the Owners and Players return to the bargaining table. I for one want to see an agreement which gives any teams a better chance to compete. I have read in a couple places negotiations may not get serious until February. It would be good if talks begin much sooner.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

2C20217A737A727F78677D4A0 wrote: It has been a month since the lockout, and I would hope with the New Year the Owners and Players return to the bargaining table. I for one want to see an agreement which gives any teams a better chance to compete. I have read in a couple places negotiations may not get serious until February. It would be good if talks begin much sooner.
I'd just like to start hearing if they're even in the same room. It's like the commish said, "lockout" everyone said "okay" and they all went home to their lives, and kind of forgot what they do.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

507671646D61766068030 wrote: It has been a month since the lockout, and I would hope with the New Year the Owners and Players return to the bargaining table. I for one want to see an agreement which gives any teams a better chance to compete. I have read in a couple places negotiations may not get serious until February. It would be good if talks begin much sooner.
I'd just like to start hearing if they're even in the same room. It's like the commish said, "lockout" everyone said "okay" and they all went home to their lives, and kind of forgot what they do.

From what little I've heard, it doesn't matter if they were even in the same room, Surg.  They'd all just walk out of it.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB Trade Rumors did a chat with ex-Bucco player Jody Gerut (only played a few games with Bucs) and a couple questions were about CBA. Here is one and the link to entire chat is below:

10:41 Hey Jody Cleveland fan here…thanks for giving us some good memories during some down years…do you think complete revenue sharing and a hard salary cap will ever be in MLB in order for small market teams to be able to compete with the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc.? Also can we get umpires to force hitters to stay in the box between pitches and pitchers stay on the mound in order to move games along faster? Thanks for your time and thoughts

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat- ... 12156.html

Jody Gerut

10:46 I think that the smaller market teams and their accountants should all go camping, have a beer, share their stretches of the truth, laugh about The Great Equalizer (TV contracts), and then rejoin the world with a message that they understand why rev sharing exists. Further, they should start reinvesting in the franchises with the funds, and not feign losses while their franchise values grow. Hey owners, it's not terrible to "lose" on operating expenses if your franchise grew to $1.5B. Why operate your franchise in line with gate rev or otherwise if your franchise grew in value??? Aren't you guys BILLIONAIRES?

10:47 Sorry I lost my head on that last entry. Sorry owners, we love you and I thank you for giving me a chance to play. Especially the Rockies ownership. THANK YOU!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

507677607666150 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors did a chat with ex-Bucco player Jody Gerut (only played a few games with Bucs) and a couple questions were about CBA. Here is one and the link to entire chat is below:

10:41 Hey Jody Cleveland fan here…thanks for giving us some good memories during some down years…do you think complete revenue sharing and a hard salary cap will ever be in MLB in order for small market teams to be able to compete with the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc.? Also can we get umpires to force hitters to stay in the box between pitches and pitchers stay on the mound in order to move games along faster? Thanks for your time and thoughts

Jody Gerut

10:46 I think that the smaller market teams and their accountants should all go camping, have a beer, share their stretches of the truth, laugh about The Great Equalizer (TV contracts), and then rejoin the world with a message that they understand why rev sharing exists. Further, they should start reinvesting in the franchises with the funds, and not feign losses while their franchise values grow. Hey owners, it's not terrible to "lose" on operating expenses if your franchise grew to $1.5B. Why operate your franchise in line with gate rev or otherwise if your franchise grew in value??? Aren't you guys BILLIONAIRES?

10:47 Sorry I lost my head on that last entry. Sorry owners, we love you and I thank you for giving me a chance to play. Especially the Rockies ownership. THANK YOU!
MLBPA and MLB set to meet on Thurs. Jan 13
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

06383D35263E3E351530273463510 wrote: MLB Trade Rumors did a chat with ex-Bucco player Jody Gerut (only played a few games with Bucs) and a couple questions were about CBA. Here is one and the link to entire chat is below:

Jody Gerut

MLBPA and MLB set to meet on Thurs. Jan 13
First day of talks were not productive!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I sure hope the two sides begin to soon hammer out an agreement which evens the playing field between the large and small market teams. At this point I wonder if ST will begin on time. Six weeks from today the Bucs have a scheduled split squad game. It seems like neither side feels pressure to settle the agreement. It is us fans who enjoy the game, as well as the offseason trades and signings that the lockout hurts. In my opinion the clock is ticking to get an agreement soon , or else ST will be delayed.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

3C30316A636A626F68776D5A0 wrote: I sure hope the two sides begin to  soon hammer out an agreement which  evens the playing field between the large and small market teams. At this point I wonder if ST will begin on time. Six weeks from today the Bucs have a scheduled split squad game. It seems like neither side feels pressure to settle the agreement. It is us fans who enjoy the game, as well as the offseason trades and signings that the lockout hurts. In my opinion the clock is ticking to get an agreement soon , or else ST will be delayed.

fjk, I don't think the owners or the players care even a little bit about the fans. Pretty much throughout the whole history of the game that's been true. They know we'll come back no matter how we're mistreated because we love the game so much.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

3D31306B626B636E69766C5B0 wrote: I sure hope the two sides begin to  soon hammer out an agreement which  evens the playing field between the large and small market teams. At this point I wonder if ST will begin on time. Six weeks from today the Bucs have a scheduled split squad game. It seems like neither side feels pressure to settle the agreement. It is us fans who enjoy the game, as well as the offseason trades and signings that the lockout hurts. In my opinion the clock is ticking to get an agreement soon , or else ST will be delayed.
I'm just wondering what their drop dead date is for having to cancel/adjust the regular season schedule. As a STH, this is exceptionally frustrating, but I know we'll get credits if games are missed. But I bought extra tickets for the Yankees series, and I will be upset if that series is scrapped once again.

I also want to get a deposit down for a suite for my son's birthday party on skyblast night, but I don't want to do that until I know the schedule will stay the way it is. So frustrating wanting to make plans. All they are doing is taking deposits to "put you in line".