The other games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1F323F2E29382F6F6C5D0 wrote: Nats are leading the Marlins 18-0 in the 7th. Marlins catcher Sandy Leon is pitching.
Game wound up 18-1

Mets beat Reds 15-11

Tigers beat Rangers 14-0

seems teams are scoring lots of runs lately Looks like pitchers were cheating  :D
And the Pirates chipped in with 2 more runs!  :D
Bobster, you seem to be up on these things.I read this morning that since acquiring Willie Adams from Tampa Bay (who I never heard about) the Brewers are 35-16.Adams is batting .314. Why did Tampa let him go? I'm sure this is very upsetting to doc  ;D
Looks like a combination of things falling right for the Brewers. Adames isn't great but was an upgrade offensively and defensively over Urias. He's been on a hot streak with the bat. Urias was hitting only .208 and looked to become a utility player when Adames took over SS. And 3Bman Travis Shaw (.191) was really struggling. But about 2 weeks after Adames was acquired, Shaw injured his shoulder and Urias took over 3B. He's hit .271 since that time. So the Brewers improved at both SS and 3B. And the Brewers pitching has a lot to do with it too. They are averaging less than 3 runs allowed per game over their last 18 games. 
I knew you were the one to ask!! As I alluded to earlier, I am sure that this is upsetting to doc
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

0B3530382B333338183D2A396E5C0 wrote: Nats are leading the Marlins 18-0 in the 7th. Marlins catcher Sandy Leon is pitching.
Game wound up 18-1

Mets beat Reds 15-11

Tigers beat Rangers 14-0

seems teams are scoring lots of runs lately Looks like pitchers were cheating  :D
Bobster, you seem to be up on these things.I read this morning that since acquiring Willie Adams from Tampa Bay (who I never heard about) the Brewers are 35-16.Adams is batting .314. Why did Tampa let him go? I'm sure this is very upsetting to doc  ;D
Looks like a combination of things falling right for the Brewers. Adames isn't great but was an upgrade offensively and defensively over Urias. He's been on a hot streak with the bat. Urias was hitting only .208 and looked to become a utility player when Adames took over SS. And 3Bman Travis Shaw (.191) was really struggling. But about 2 weeks after Adames was acquired, Shaw injured his shoulder and Urias took over 3B. He's hit .271 since that time. So the Brewers improved at both SS and 3B. And the Brewers pitching has a lot to do with it too. They are averaging less than 3 runs allowed per game over their last 18 games. 
I knew you were the one to ask!! As I alluded to earlier, I am sure that this is upsetting to doc
I'm sure there are other factors. Other guys getting hot, etc. But I just looked at how the acquisition of Adames impacted them. That strengthened SS while indirectly leading to also strengthening 3B.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

546A6F67746C6C674762756631030 wrote: Nats are leading the Marlins 18-0 in the 7th. Marlins catcher Sandy Leon is pitching.
Game wound up 18-1

Mets beat Reds 15-11

Tigers beat Rangers 14-0

I knew you were the one to ask!! As I alluded to earlier, [highlight]I am sure that this is upsetting to doc[/highlight]

My wife won't let me near any sharp objects.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

There’s an all-women crew broadcasting the Orioles-Rays game tonight. I listened for a few minutes and I was impressed with Melanie Newman, the play-by-play announcer. She keeps it simple and describes the action well. I’d like to see her replace Joe Block.
Surgnbuck

The other games

Post by Surgnbuck »

643224303F25353E332416313B373F3A7835560 wrote: There’s an all-women crew broadcasting the Orioles-Rays game tonight.  I listened for a few minutes and I was impressed with Melanie Newman, the play-by-play announcer.  She keeps it simple and describes the action well.  I’d like to see her replace Joe Block.
IDK if it was Newman I've heard before, and a number of times, and have always enjoyed listening to her. The Yankees have had a woman in the booth for a couple years. I like her. The woman with Newman though, she's a little slow on the uptake, but not sure if they are a regular tandem.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

742234202F35252E233406212B272F2A6825460 wrote: There’s an all-women crew broadcasting the Orioles-Rays game tonight.  I listened for a few minutes and I was impressed with Melanie Newman, the play-by-play announcer.  She keeps it simple and describes the action well.  I’d like to see her replace Joe Block.
I would just like to see Joe Block replaced
Surgnbuck

The other games

Post by Surgnbuck »

Gerritt Cole Top Gun Bobblehead night at Yankee Stadium August 6 if anyone's interested.

I want one.
Bobster21

The other games

Post by Bobster21 »

340A0F07140C0C072702150651630 wrote: There’s an all-women crew broadcasting the Orioles-Rays game tonight.  I listened for a few minutes and I was impressed with Melanie Newman, the play-by-play announcer.  She keeps it simple and describes the action well.  I’d like to see her replace Joe Block.
I would just like to see Joe Block replaced
Even a mime would be better than Joe Block.
johnfluharty

The other games

Post by johnfluharty »

I listen to Joe Block and Kevin Young on the radio the other day and Joe actually talked baseball and didn't just feel the air with his useless rambling - it was actually nice for change; I never cringed once.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, but there was an interesting obituary that appeared in this morning's Post-Gazette. 

A woman named Marjorie Adams passed away on July 7.  She was the great granddaughter of a man named Daniel "Doc" Adams (he had a medical degree from Harvard) who was a member/player with the Knickerbockers Club in 1845.  He, as it turns out, not Alexander Cartwright, is credited with codifying 90' between the bases, nine players per side, and the nine inning format.  In addition, he invented the shortstop position.

Marjorie Adams worked hard much of her adult life to have her great grandfather inducted into the Hall of Fame.  His election came up two votes short a few years ago but he is on the ballot again coming up in December.