The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

The Departed

Post by skinnyhorse »

727A794E587D5A553B0 wrote: Cole with 14 Ks in seven innings last night. Gave up two runs on two dingers. He was either disgruntled here and didn’t give everything he had, or was misused. Because he’s a different pitcher now.
It's probably both, what was so frustrating is you knew this was going to happen. I can't believe we didn't get more for him you don't give up a #1 pitcher for a couple of maybe's and one of them damaged merchandise, NH obviously not a good negotiator. As for developing pitchers we're not doing so well look at Glasnow a golden arm but somehow we can't develop him into serviceable pitcher. Very frustrating to see guys struggle here for years and go to another org. and become stars immediately. I realize you can't change a guy's attitude but you should be able to get a fair return for an obvious stud.
PMike

The Departed

Post by PMike »

30282A2D2D3A2B2C313026430 wrote: Cole with 14 Ks in seven innings last night. Gave up two runs on two dingers. He was either disgruntled here and didn’t give everything he had, or was misused. Because he’s a different pitcher now.
It's probably both, what was so frustrating is you knew this was going to happen.  I can't believe we didn't get more for him you don't give up a #1 pitcher for a couple of maybe's and one of them damaged merchandise, NH obviously not a good negotiator.  As for developing pitchers we're not doing so well look at Glasnow a golden arm but somehow we can't develop him into serviceable pitcher.  Very frustrating to see guys struggle here for years and go to another org. and become stars immediately.  I realize you can't change a guy's attitude but you should be able to get a fair return for an obvious stud.

As you said, he struggled for years here. That's why they got the return they got. He was a bad clubhouse guy and it's pretty clear he didn't like being in Pittsburgh. Too bad. I won't be a fan of his.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

637E5A5856330 wrote: Cole with 14 Ks in seven innings last night. Gave up two runs on two dingers. He was either disgruntled here and didn’t give everything he had, or was misused. Because he’s a different pitcher now.
It's probably both, what was so frustrating is you knew this was going to happen.  I can't believe we didn't get more for him you don't give up a #1 pitcher for a couple of maybe's and one of them damaged merchandise, NH obviously not a good negotiator.  As for developing pitchers we're not doing so well look at Glasnow a golden arm but somehow we can't develop him into serviceable pitcher.  Very frustrating to see guys struggle here for years and go to another org. and become stars immediately.  I realize you can't change a guy's attitude but you should be able to get a fair return for an obvious stud.

As you said, he struggled for years here.  That's why they got the return they got.  He was a bad clubhouse guy and it's pretty clear he didn't like being in Pittsburgh.  Too bad.  I won't be a fan of his.

how was Cole a bad clubhouse guy? I thought he was a pretty serious competitor who tried to do too much.
dmetz

The Departed

Post by dmetz »

557372657363100 wrote: Cole with 14 Ks in seven innings last night. Gave up two runs on two dingers. He was either disgruntled here and didn’t give everything he had, or was misused. Because he’s a different pitcher now.

As you said, he struggled for years here.  That's why they got the return they got.  He was a bad clubhouse guy and it's pretty clear he didn't like being in Pittsburgh.  Too bad.  I won't be a fan of his.

how was Cole a bad clubhouse guy? I thought he was a pretty serious competitor who tried to do too much.

Come on EC, everyone who leaves Pittsburgh pretty much was a bad clubhouse guy. It's only a matter of time before Cutch is made into a bad clubhouse guy. I'm already hearing the rumblings...
dmetz

The Departed

Post by dmetz »

081531333D580 wrote: Cole with 14 Ks in seven innings last night. Gave up two runs on two dingers. He was either disgruntled here and didn’t give everything he had, or was misused. Because he’s a different pitcher now.

Nah.  They got the return they got because the GM sucks and he sold into a terrible market.  He didn't struggle here,  really.  he has a career 3.24 FIP.   If that's struggling, I'll take some more of it please!

Probably (past) time to re-evaluate our pitching philosophy and stop forcing very talented pitchers with "stuff" to throw so many fastballs and hard sliders. The curveball is a useful pitch!   
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

watched ex-Bucco Shane Carle pitch an inning for Braves tonight.

Struck on Cespedes, gave up a double to Cabrera, then a wild pitch, Todd Frazier popped up and Wilmer Flores with a long flyout to left.

Was surprised that Carle threw 95-96. Has belonged to Bucs twice, here is his transaction history:

June 7, 2013: Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 10th round of the 2013 amateur draft. Player signed June 14, 2013.

November 11, 2014: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Colorado Rockies for Rob Scahill.

January 4, 2018: Selected off waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates from the Colorado Rockies.

January 17, 2018: Traded by the Pittsburgh Pirates to the Atlanta Braves for player to be named or cash.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Did you hear about the speculation of Gerrit Cole using a foreign substance so far this year? His spin rates are way up compared to previous seasons.

Pitchers have been caught with pine tar before and rumors more and more pitchers using it too. Cole's name was mentioned. Baseball needs to address this if it's true. Pitchers are said to have spots on their gloves that TV cameras are picking up.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

565D55595C5D460305724B535A5D5D1C515D320 wrote: Did you hear about the speculation of Gerrit Cole using a foreign substance so far this year? His spin rates are way up compared to previous seasons.

Pitchers have been caught with pine tar before and rumors more and more pitchers using it too. Cole's name was mentioned. Baseball needs to address this if it's true. Pitchers are said to have spots on their gloves that TV cameras are picking up.
maybe cheating is secret to Astros success.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

The Departed

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

173130273121520 wrote: Did you hear about the speculation of Gerrit Cole using a foreign substance so far this year? His spin rates are way up compared to previous seasons.

The Cardinals cheating helped the Astros win a World Series. So, they know first hand it helps.
skinnyhorse

The Departed

Post by skinnyhorse »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: Did you hear about the speculation of Gerrit Cole using a foreign substance so far this year? His spin rates are way up compared to previous seasons.

The Cardinals cheating helped the Astros win a World Series. So, they know first hand it helps.
Cardinals are the best at cheating, I can't believe there was not a investigation made of Molina after a batter swung and missed at a ball in the dirt and the ball stuck to his chest protector. You think he might have some sticky stuff on him. I've never seen a ball stick to a catcher. Just saying very supicious yet no one said anything.