The other games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

614740555C50475159320 wrote: Tigers win 1-0 against the Twins, the only run scoring when Robbie Grossman hit a leadoff HR in the bottom of the first.

Reminds me of a similar game at Dodger Stadium on Sept 4th 1982, on Willie Stargell day no less. The Pirates won that game 1-0 when Lee Lacy hit a HR as the second batter of the game, and Lee Tunnell got the win over Fernando Valenzuela (who pitched a complete game). I was at the game with some Marine classmates of mine.

Along with Willie NOT getting to even PH, which really PO'd some Dodger fans, they had this giant helium filled baseball tethered at home plate, that Willie swung at and released, as he was at the time still the only player to hit a ball out of Dodger Stadium, and he had done it twice.

Also memorable that night was an Orioles fan friend of mine, who was amazed at number 88 taking fielding practice at shortstop and asked who he was.  I told him, "That's not 88. That's 'BB'...he's the Pirates batboy."
:D ;D :D ;D
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

744A4F47544C4C476742554611230 wrote: Tigers win 1-0 against the Twins, the only run scoring when Robbie Grossman hit a leadoff HR in the bottom of the first.

Reminds me of a similar game at Dodger Stadium on Sept 4th 1982, on Willie Stargell day no less. The Pirates won that game 1-0 when Lee Lacy hit a HR as the second batter of the game, and Lee Tunnell got the win over Fernando Valenzuela (who pitched a complete game). I was at the game with some Marine classmates of mine.

Along with Willie NOT getting to even PH, which really PO'd some Dodger fans, they had this giant helium filled baseball tethered at home plate, that Willie swung at and released, as he was at the time still the only player to hit a ball out of Dodger Stadium, and he had done it twice.

Also memorable that night was an Orioles fan friend of mine, who was amazed at number 88 taking fielding practice at shortstop and asked who he was.  I told him, "That's not 88. That's 'BB'...he's the Pirates batboy."
:D ;D :D ;D
Speaking of the Tigers, they are currently on the list for overachievers at this time. They are now 41-51. Much better than most baseball people predicted
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

FWIW, Tigers' vice president of player development, none other than David Littlefield.
Javy

The other games

Post by Javy »

655047474C7547474C4B47220 wrote: FWIW, Tigers' vice president of player development, none other than David Littlefield.

Obviously, while he may hold that position, I find it hard to believe he has anything to do with the collection of talent the Tigers are gathering.

Found this little gem reading about Littlefield. These 2 clowns set the Bucs back a generation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/865 ... -two-evils

Pretty bad when you consider Neal actually turned out better than either of those 2, and that's not saying much.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

123433262F2334222A410 wrote: Tigers win 1-0 against the Twins, the only run scoring when Robbie Grossman hit a leadoff HR in the bottom of the first.

I just read that the last time that the Dodgers weren't in first place at the All Star break was in 2016. As of today, Giants- 58-33 Dodgers 58-35
Surgnbuck

The other games

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bottom 6th in AZ and Dbacks have bases loaded one out. Ball grounded to first and Cubs come home with throw and get the force. As the nall was fielded momentum carried player towards foul ground and when he threw the ball the runner ducked out of the way and fell and did a tumble, came to his feet and watched what was going on at home. He then realized ball was still live and one of the cubs yelled to the catcher to go to first and the double play completed. Bad baseball all through MLB.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

163037222B2730262E450 wrote: Bottom 6th in AZ and Dbacks have bases loaded one out. Ball grounded to first and Cubs come home with throw and get the force. As the nall was fielded momentum carried player towards foul ground and when he threw the ball the runner ducked out of the way and fell and did a tumble, came to his feet and watched what was going on at home. He then realized ball was still live and one of the cubs yelled to the catcher to go to first and the double play completed. Bad baseball all through MLB.
I happened to see that play. You are correct about bad baseball
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7F41444C5F47474C6C495E4D1A280 wrote: Bottom 6th in AZ and Dbacks have bases loaded one out. Ball grounded to first and Cubs come home with throw and get the force. As the nall was fielded momentum carried player towards foul ground and when he threw the ball the runner ducked out of the way and fell and did a tumble, came to his feet and watched what was going on at home. He then realized ball was still live and one of the cubs yelled to the catcher to go to first and the double play completed. Bad baseball all through MLB.
Giants and Dodgers both lost today- Giants to Cards - Dodgers to Rockies. Giants maintain a slight lead
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

556B6E66756D6D664663746730020 wrote: Bottom 6th in AZ and Dbacks have bases loaded one out. Ball grounded to first and Cubs come home with throw and get the force. As the nall was fielded momentum carried player towards foul ground and when he threw the ball the runner ducked out of the way and fell and did a tumble, came to his feet and watched what was going on at home. He then realized ball was still live and one of the cubs yelled to the catcher to go to first and the double play completed. Bad baseball all through MLB.
Giants and Dodgers both lost today- Giants to Cards - Dodgers to Rockies. Giants maintain a slight lead
I was thinking of dropping this but I know how much Green Weenie looks forward to it.

The lowly two in the battle for #1

Arizona 27-68

Baltimore - 30-62

Texas is a distant third at 35-58

Bucs are in fourth place at 36-57

It should be noted that Arizona is 32 1/2 games out of 1st
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

457B7E76657D7D765673647720120 wrote: Bottom 6th in AZ and Dbacks have bases loaded one out. Ball grounded to first and Cubs come home with throw and get the force. As the nall was fielded momentum carried player towards foul ground and when he threw the ball the runner ducked out of the way and fell and did a tumble, came to his feet and watched what was going on at home. He then realized ball was still live and one of the cubs yelled to the catcher to go to first and the double play completed. Bad baseball all through MLB.
I was thinking of dropping this but I know how much Green Weenie looks forward to it.

The lowly two in the battle for #1

Arizona 27-68

Baltimore - 30-62

Texas is a distant third at 35-58

Bucs are in fourth place at 36-57

It should be noted that Arizona is 32 1/2 games out of 1st
Pirates are dead last in the Majors in HR's at 78

Arizona is next with 83