Pirate Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirate Moves

Post by Bobster21 »

135049524154455313200 wrote: "We have selected RHP Luis Ortiz from Triple-A Indianapolis and recalled C/INF Zack Collins from Indianapolis.

In addition, we have optioned INF/OF Tucupita Marcano to Indianapolis and designated INF/OF Bligh Madris for assignment." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1569699618736447492
Interesting. Marcano wasn't hitting and they probably expect Madris to clear waivers and be outrighted to Indy.
MaineBucs

Pirate Moves

Post by MaineBucs »

No concerns with sending Marcano down. As noted, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't getting any playing time, and he is still young.

Madris may never amount to much, but I hope he clears waivers and remains in the organization.

A year or two ago MLB initiated the extra player rule for DH's. I would like to see baseball expand on that rule to automatically allow a team to call up and carry a 3rd catcher. In the past, many teams routinely carried 3 catchers. However, with the advent of the 11, then the 12, and now the 13 man pitching staff, it is very rare to see any team with 3 catchers on the roster. Just a thought.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Moves

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5B777F787354637565160 wrote: No concerns with sending Marcano down.  As noted, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't getting any playing time, and he is still young.

Madris may never amount to much, but I hope he clears waivers and remains in the organization. 

A year or two ago MLB initiated the extra player rule for DH's.   I would like to see baseball expand on that rule to automatically allow a team to call up and carry a 3rd catcher.   In the past, many teams routinely carried 3 catchers.  However, with the advent of the 11, then the 12, and now the 13 man pitching staff, it is very rare to see any team with 3 catchers on the roster.  Just a thought. 

While I’m not big on changing or adding rules, I think allowing for a third catcher to be available to a team each game only if both catchers are injured during the game should be considered. He would not be permitted to be used in any other capacity.
DemDog

Pirate Moves

Post by DemDog »

I would not take much stock in Collins even though he is starting in the nightcap tonight. I don't see any reason for him to be kept on the 40-man at the end of the season.
Osushawn

Pirate Moves

Post by Osushawn »

6B3D2B3F302A3A313C2B193E34383035773A590 wrote: No concerns with sending Marcano down.  As noted, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't getting any playing time, and he is still young.

A year or two ago MLB initiated the extra player rule for DH's.   I would like to see baseball expand on that rule to automatically allow a team to call up and carry a 3rd catcher.   In the past, many teams routinely carried 3 catchers.  However, with the advent of the 11, then the 12, and now the 13 man pitching staff, it is very rare to see any team with 3 catchers on the roster.  Just a thought. 

While I’m not big on changing or adding rules, I think allowing for a third catcher to be available to a team each game only if both catchers are injured during the game should be considered.  He would not be permitted to be used in any other capacity.

Maybe something similar to the emergency goalie in hockey
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Moves

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

734F494F545D4B523C0 wrote: No concerns with sending Marcano down.  As noted, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't getting any playing time, and he is still young.

While I’m not big on changing or adding rules, I think allowing for a third catcher to be available to a team each game only if both catchers are injured during the game should be considered.  He would not be permitted to be used in any other capacity.

Maybe something similar to the emergency goalie in hockey

That’s exactly what I was thinking.
MaineBucs

Pirate Moves

Post by MaineBucs »

No team should have to do what the Pirates did earlier this year and use a player like JVM as an emergency catcher.

Continuing, even though Collins is now on the team (for some inexplicable reason), if he wasn't, and both Delay and Heineman were injured or if one of them had already been removed from the game (quite common in the late innings when a pinch-hitter is used), who would be the emergency catcher? I'm guessing Castillo, but that wouldn't be fair to him or the team.

The MLBPA seems to support nearly all rules changes that result in more players on the roster; more jobs for all. Emergency catchers who wouldn't count against the 40 man roster size seems like a good move to me.
ArnoldRothstein

Pirate Moves

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

"Collins"

Collins was a substantial prospect when drafted. He just hasn't hit at all for average. Very likely BC remembers the potential and wants to see for himself why it hasn't come out.

MaineBucs

Pirate Moves

Post by MaineBucs »

Just say on the MLB Trade Rumors site that the Pirates have DFA'd both Tyler Beede and Dillon Peters, and that Eric Strout has been recalled.

Beede did not show a lot in his time i Pittsburgh. Peters was very effective earlier in the season, but his health deserted him. Peters will catch on with someone next year.
3pirates3

Pirate Moves

Post by 3pirates3 »

"We have placed RHP JT Brubaker on the 15-day injured list and recalled RHP Luis Ortiz from Triple-A Indianapolis." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1571543486721150976