Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Off Season Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5B7A725B70781F0 wrote: Really interesting and encouraging article in today’s Post-Gazette about how the Pirates have changed their teaching methods with regard to their pitchers.  They allow each pitcher to provide his own input, identify his strengths and weaknesses, and what kinds of drills/exercises that he feels will benefit him the most.  The coaching staff is emphasizing that no pitcher is like the others.  They’re not going to make every pitcher throw the same pitches, like the previous regime did in trying to make everyone a sinkerball pitcher. 

BC is putting together good stuff at the bottom of the organization so that when these players reach the big leagues they’ll be much better prepared.  It’ll take a little more time, but we all knew that.
I read the article as well. It really appears that the current Baseball Ops. Department lead by Ben Cherington and Steve Sanders are bringing in talented instructors and coaches to develop their players  to become solid major league players for the Pirates organization. I may be more optimistic than most, but I believe better days are ahead for Pirate fans.
I found it disturbing that such a common sense approach was just now being implemented.

More good articles today.  A piece on some of the young arms and the impact Henry Davis is already having just in leadership.  It’s clear the young guys look up to him. 

Also a hopeful piece on Yean. 

Like you I am a glass-half-full rather than a glass-half-full guy with a hole in the bottom.  It is time to move beyond those guys.  Hi, to Mrs. VaPirate and J for us.

Yep. When there was no hope, well there was no hope. There is hope now. I’ve been reviewing all of Ben’s transactions and I’m genuinely excited for the future. Transition year coming up, lots of talent to be watching for. The future is starting now and I’m going to enjoy it. Sad that some will be looking for any negative, but Ben has done a good job. Let’s hope it all produces like we hope.

And back to you and the Mrs’! You sir, are one suave possum.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

I think BC is doing what he can while understanding the dire financial constraints under which he works. Working for Nutting precludes the ability to sign impact FAs or retain his own productive players. That necessitates the unpopular practice of always trading off his productive players to get prospects in return before they can walk away as FAs. And trading away top prospects for veterans with just 1 or 2 years left on their contracts is something few if any MLB teams are now willing to do. So GMs making such trades are forced to settle for 2nd tier prospects at higher levels (i.e., Marcano, Crowe) or prospects at lower levels who have potential (like the return on the Marte trade (a pair of 19 year olds) that could yield their SS of the futire-Peguero). All the innovative training stuff is nice but all teams are trying to develop their prospects as best they can. Such practices do not offset the inability to acquire productive MLB players to fill needs. So I think BC is doing the best he can under the circumstances. It's not a blueprint for building a champion but it's the best--and only--strategy available on a Nutting owned team.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

220F02131405125251600 wrote: I think BC is doing what he can while understanding the dire financial constraints under which he works. Working for Nutting precludes the ability to sign impact FAs or retain his own productive players. That necessitates the unpopular practice of always trading off his productive players to get prospects in return before they can walk away as FAs. And trading away top prospects for veterans with just 1 or 2 years left on their contracts is something few if any MLB teams are now willing to do. So GMs making such trades are forced to settle for 2nd tier prospects at higher levels (i.e., Marcano, Crowe) or prospects at lower levels who have potential (like the return on the Marte trade (a pair of 19 year olds) that could yield their SS of the futire-Peguero). All the innovative training stuff is nice but all teams are trying to develop their prospects as best they can. Such practices do not offset the inability to acquire productive MLB players to fill needs. So I think BC is doing the best he can under the circumstances. [highlight]It's not a blueprint for building a champion but it's the best--and only--strategy available on a Nutting owned team.[/highlight]   

And that right there is what it comes down to. The Pirates inability to compete like other comparable franchises is the result of the owner's unwillingness to do what those other franchises do.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

446964757263743437060 wrote: I think BC is doing what he can while understanding the dire financial constraints under which he works. Working for Nutting precludes the ability to sign impact FAs or retain his own productive players. That necessitates the unpopular practice of always trading off his productive players to get prospects in return before they can walk away as FAs. And trading away top prospects for veterans with just 1 or 2 years left on their contracts is something few if any MLB teams are now willing to do. So GMs making such trades are forced to settle for 2nd tier prospects at higher levels (i.e., Marcano, Crowe) or prospects at lower levels who have potential (like the return on the Marte trade (a pair of 19 year olds) that could yield their SS of the futire-Peguero). All the innovative training stuff is nice but all teams are trying to develop their prospects as best they can. Such practices do not offset the inability to acquire productive MLB players to fill needs. So I think BC is doing the best he can under the circumstances. It's not a blueprint for building a champion but it's the best--and only--strategy available on a Nutting owned team.   
To change the subject. You guys might be interesting in reading the article in today's PG about the multimillion $ project to renovate the Outfield area at PNC. Believe it or not, the Pirates are paying for it
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

075147535C46565D5047755258545C591B56350 wrote: I think BC is doing what he can while understanding the dire financial constraints under which he works. Working for Nutting precludes the ability to sign impact FAs or retain his own productive players. That necessitates the unpopular practice of always trading off his productive players to get prospects in return before they can walk away as FAs. And trading away top prospects for veterans with just 1 or 2 years left on their contracts is something few if any MLB teams are now willing to do. So GMs making such trades are forced to settle for 2nd tier prospects at higher levels (i.e., Marcano, Crowe) or prospects at lower levels who have potential (like the return on the Marte trade (a pair of 19 year olds) that could yield their SS of the futire-Peguero). All the innovative training stuff is nice but all teams are trying to develop their prospects as best they can. Such practices do not offset the inability to acquire productive MLB players to fill needs. So I think BC is doing the best he can under the circumstances. [highlight]It's not a blueprint for building a champion but it's the best--and only--strategy available on a Nutting owned team.[/highlight]   

And that right there is what it comes down to.  The Pirates inability to compete like other comparable franchises is the result of the owner's unwillingness to do what those other franchises do. 

I'm unaware of any MLB club, regardless of revenue size, that hasn't had cycles. 

Reloading, restocking, re-tooling, whatever buzz words, let's look at it.  Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking Cubs, Guardians, Astros, Red Sox, Tigers, Royals.  I'm sure that I've missed some along the lines.  My point is- franchises of all revenue sizes have done it.  The Pirates are hardly alone in it.  We know where the differences have been in retaining the talent. 

Writing only for myself, I see no reason that we shouldn't be as successful as franchises along the Pittsburgh demographic.  I'm confident that we will, as, back to the first point, these things go in cycles.

I dont care so much about peripherals and December Sales Jobs.  Show me on the field.

Every exec thinks their brand of magic is the best.  I have no idea who is and who isn't.  We'll find out.

I just hope that we DO find out and get the season underway.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

744A4F47544C4C476742554611230 wrote:

To change the subject. You guys might be interesting in reading the article in today's PG about the multimillion $ project to renovate the Outfield area at PNC. Believe it or not, the Pirates are paying for it
The goal is to use the Allegheny riverfront “more actively” and to create more energy for fans and visitors, Pirates representatives told Sports & Exhibition Authority board members during a briefing Thursday.

mong the improvements, the team is planning to remove six rows of outfield seats from two sections so that fans in the ballpark plaza behind them will have an unobstructed view of the game.

The Pirates plan to add stools, tables, and drink rails to the plaza area “so that fans can be out there and enjoy both the riverfront and the game at the same time,” Ms. Smith said.

Other enhancements include renovations to three concession stands with the addition of new food concepts, improvements to group gathering spaces and more children’s play areas.

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/d ... 2112090171

There seemed to be sufficient energy from 2013-15 when the Pirates made the post season. Maybe focusing on a better team instead of better concessions stands would enhance the energy.
rucker59@gmail.com

Off Season Thread

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote:

The goal is to use the Allegheny riverfront “more actively” and to create more energy for fans and visitors, Pirates representatives told Sports & Exhibition Authority board members during a briefing Thursday.

mong the improvements, the team is planning to remove six rows of outfield seats from two sections so that fans in the ballpark plaza behind them will have an unobstructed view of the game.

The Pirates plan to add stools, tables, and drink rails to the plaza area “so that fans can be out there and enjoy both the riverfront and the game at the same time,” Ms. Smith said.

Other enhancements include renovations to three concession stands with the addition of new food concepts, improvements to group gathering spaces and more children’s play areas.

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/d ... 2112090171

There seemed to be sufficient energy from 2013-15 when the Pirates made the post season. Maybe focusing on a better team instead of better concessions stands would enhance the energy.

Proof! that the Nutting is not going to move the team to Charlotte! ;)
rucker59@gmail.com

Off Season Thread

5204120609130308051220070D01090C4E03600 wrote: I think BC is doing what he can while understanding the dire financial constraints under which he works. Working for Nutting precludes the ability to sign impact FAs or retain his own productive players. That necessitates the unpopular practice of always trading off his productive players to get prospects in return before they can walk away as FAs. And trading away top prospects for veterans with just 1 or 2 years left on their contracts is something few if any MLB teams are now willing to do. So GMs making such trades are forced to settle for 2nd tier prospects at higher levels (i.e., Marcano, Crowe) or prospects at lower levels who have potential (like the return on the Marte trade (a pair of 19 year olds) that could yield their SS of the futire-Peguero). All the innovative training stuff is nice but all teams are trying to develop their prospects as best they can. Such practices do not offset the inability to acquire productive MLB players to fill needs. So I think BC is doing the best he can under the circumstances. [highlight]It's not a blueprint for building a champion but it's the best--and only--strategy available on a Nutting owned team.[/highlight]   

And that right there is what it comes down to.  The Pirates inability to compete like other comparable franchises is the result of the owner's unwillingness to do what those other franchises do. 

So....is there any chance the new labor agreement will have a material impact in making the Pirates more competitive???

I know the Pirates are expecting to get a full season in; that makes me think that both parties are going to have common interest. Of course, the Pirates might not be in agreement....
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm not sure what to expect.

My guess is that, if there are any "competitiveness" issues at all, that CBA changes will be meant to "increase competitiveness" in general, but not geared to benefit any franchises more than the others.

In other words, yes, it could benefit the Pirates, but some other clubs, too.

rucker59@gmail.com

Off Season Thread

6D584F4F447D4F4F44434F2A0 wrote: I'm not sure what to expect.

My guess is that, if there are any "competitiveness" issues at all,  that CBA changes will be meant to "increase competitiveness" in general, but not geared to benefit any franchises more than the others.

In other words, yes, it could benefit the Pirates, but some other clubs, too.

I'm hoping the MLB will "nudge" Bob along. But I guess I don't really expect anything. Hearing that the Pirates are not expecting the loss of games, that makes me think there won't be anything significant.