Doc, two words for you. "Snowball" "Hell"
Doc

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:06 am
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:00 am
Great news, Bellinger hasn’t chosen a team yet! We still have a chance! :roll:
So you’re saying there’s still a chance?
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:12 pm I’m OK with going with the young pitchers we have in our system
10 of the top 12 players in our system are pitchers.
Jones is ready to pitch in the Majors. Skenes and Solometo are close. We still need to find out what Priester, Contreras, Ortiz , Brubaker, and Burrows can contribute. I would rather give our internal options a chance rather than watering down our farm system with a trade or signing a pitcher that is over his prime
I agree JR
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:35 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:00 am

Great news, Bellinger hasn’t chosen a team yet! We still have a chance! :roll:
Yep-slim and none
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:56 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:35 pm
Yep-slim and none
So we should expect an announcement any day now?
Doc

Post by Doc »

Just what we need in the rotation: a walk machine. Why bother with this kind of signing? Let Contrares and Priester earn the final two spots and see if they can do the job. If they can, then we have two guys for the next four plus years who can help. If not, whoever is behind them (Solometo, Jones, Chandler, Skenes, Brubaker, Burrows, Falter) pushes them aside. If BC isn't going to make a serious signing then why has he drafted all of these pitchers?
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:38 pm
Just what we need in the rotation: a walk machine. Why bother with this kind of signing? Let Contrares and Priester earn the final two spots and see if they can do the job. If they can, then we have two guys for the next four plus years who can help. If not, whoever is behind them (Solometo, Jones, Chandler, Skenes, Brubaker, Burrows, Falter) pushes them aside. If BC isn't going to make a serious signing then why has he drafted all of these pitchers?
It won't surprise me if he's in the rotation, at least to begin the season. But he was a reliever last year. Other than Keller, it looks like the rotation will likely require bullpen help by the 5th inning or sooner most games. The BP is going to have to pitch a lot of innings so, if nothing else, Peralta could be a multi-inning arm in the BP.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:29 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:38 pm
It won't surprise me if he's in the rotation, at least to begin the season. But he was a reliever last year. Other than Keller, it looks like the rotation will likely require bullpen help by the 5th inning or sooner most games. The BP is going to have to pitch a lot of innings so, if nothing else, Peralta could be a multi-inning arm in the BP.
I am thinking if the Pirates don’t sign another starting pitcher they may use Peralta as an opener. I would still hope they pursue another starting pitcher to cover innings for the first couple months of the season until hopefully some of the young pitchers are ready to be promoted to Pittsburgh.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There is a rumor floating that the Pirates have an interest in catcher Gary Sanchez. I have read previously his defense is not the best, but he would add a little power to the lineup.