The next CBA and the future of MLB

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

2621373F3126616D143339353D387A373B39540 wrote: Correction;

April 12th.
Anxious to read the nuts and bolts of the agreement.

The nuts and bolts are likely that little has changed to make competition more equitable.  Pirates fans everywhere are losers once again.

I would say the Pirate fans are net losers: the DH will make strong teams stronger and the cheapskates (ie, Pirates) less competitive 1-9. 

No truer words .. .
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote: I'm not a big supporter of watering-down the playoffs, but I can live with it.

The owners who are Type A's will still "go for it" in hopes of winning it all.

My concern, though, is with the others.  If it's not hard to make it, will they maintain their aggressiveness.....or, just coast in?

I suppose that we'll see some of both.

I messed up my math.

I should've written- six (in each league) is easier than (the current) five. ;)
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

386E786C637969626F784A6D676B636624690A0 wrote: Correction;

April 12th.

The nuts and bolts are likely that little has changed to make competition more equitable.  Pirates fans everywhere are losers once again.

Right you are.This is what a well known sports writer said.Teams

can still spend whatever they want and Bob can spend as little as he wants. The richest teams in the largest markets don't have

to share any more of the revenue than they already did. The Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox will still buy up the best players

and teams like the Pirates will still sell the idea that bargain basement players like Jose Quintana have a fountain of youth to tap into.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4D73767E6D75757E5E7B6C7F281A0 wrote: Correction;

April 12th.

can still spend whatever they want and Bob can spend as little as he wants. The richest teams in the largest markets don't have

to share any more of the revenue than they already did. The Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox will still buy up the best players

and teams like the Pirates will still sell the idea that bargain basement players like Jose Quintana have a fountain of youth to tap into.

Yep. Meet the new CBA, same as the old CBA.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

7E40454D5E46464D6D485F4C1B290 wrote: Correction;

April 12th.

You've fallen for The Burgh Baseball Shuck and Jive.

What they [highlight]want [/highlight]you to think is that guys like Quintana have that FOY to tap into.

But, what they [highlight]truly[/highlight] want you to think is that BOB has his fingers on the pulse and that he is actually determined to bring championship-level baseball to the city.

BenM

Post by BenM »

Remember when Nutting said he was going to work on competitive balance issues?
2drfischer@gmail.c

51767D5E130 wrote: Remember when Nutting said he was going to work on competitive balance issues?

I think that came after the club explained to us that if they could get a new ballpark with luxury boxes, they'd be able to compete for big time free agents. These guys have perfected lying like no one before them.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

63444F6C210 wrote: Remember when Nutting said he was going to work on competitive balance issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NtksEHYtK4
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: Remember when Nutting said he was going to work on competitive balance issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NtksEHYtK4

He said it before he was even born.  :)))

Believe the man at one's own risk.  About anything.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7D2B3D29263C2C272A3D0F28222E2623612C4F0 wrote:

Yep.  Meet the new CBA, same as the old CBA.

I disagree. In fact, the owners approving it 30-0 tells me this one is still going to work in their favor.

We already know the owners wised up and quit throwing huge contracts at guys past their primes, the "getting paid for what they did" kind of Pujols contract. Someone finally woke them up, "why am I paying this guy for something he never did, and never will do for me?"

In three seasons, Bryan Reynolds has 10.6 WAR, has been paid league minimum, and entering his first year of arbitration. Had a 6 WAR season last year. Another fellow has 13.3 WAR in those same three seasons, posted a 6.6 WAR last year and was paid $1,714,238. The difference between the two is while Reynolds hits arbitration for the first time, that other fellow signed an extension for 338 million. That fellow is Tatis Jr.

I think with the incentives to play younger players sooner rather than trying to save that year of control due to the bonus pool, we're going to see more younger players hitting FA sooner. Good players. Reynolds types, who (reportedly) turned down extension offers.

What I think a lot of owners are going to realize, including some of the richer teams, that there's really no reason to pay 338 million to a young guy who, though one of the most dynamic players in the game, has already shown that this might be a huge albatross contract ala Pujols, because of his shoulder issues. Right now, Tatis Jr. is an enormous bargain, even with missing 32 games, and being subpar for how many others, especially down the stretch when San Diego faltered to a 2012 Piratesque type of finish?

There are going to be more younger players hitting FA, and a much larger and much more quality pool of them. I think the players thought they were looking out for the top earners, the Scherzers and Coles. They actually inadvertantly did what they supposedly were intending to do, help that mid tier guys get their money. And they will. Except those mid tier guys will be 25, 26, 27 and not 31, 32, 33.

Hope I'm alive to see it happen, but I honestly think this CBA backfired on the players. There are going to be a lot of Reynolds every year in FA classes. When there's one Reynolds, there's a huge 100 million plus contract waiting. When there are 20 Reynolds, then what?

I think this CBA is going to help the small market teams. They won't really be penalized for playing young guys, because if they're ROY types, they'll get paid from a bonus pool, and the fans will enjoy seeing those young phenoms. Sure it will be the same old same old, "enjoy them while they're here" type of thing. But when those guys hit FA with a whole bunch of other phenoms, the FA pool won't be comprised of a few top guys, a few legit bounce back guys, and the rest reclamation projects and dumpster dives. Those are the 30 something guys I think we'll be seeing fewer and fewer of.

I think the new status quo is going to be the only guys getting the massive contracts and still playing well into their 30's are the elite pitchers, and pure designated hitters.

The 10-15 year career journeymen, the mid 30's fading stars? I think their days are numbered. They will be replaced by guys 10 years younger.

When you can take 338 million over ten years and instead of paying one elite 6.6 WAR guy you can pay five 4-6 WAR type players instead, you may not have the sizzle anymore but you'll have the steak.

I think that's why the players wanted a universal DH. It didn't create anymore jobs like some people think. It just created what I think outside of pitching will be the only 300 million dollar contract type players, but I don't think the players realized that. When that FA class has a lot of Reynolds, you keep your Tatis Jr., someone will just get them 2-3 Reynolds instead.

Small market teams will now be able to field their best teams, and I think in a few years the FA market will be higher quality, but more affordable just from the sheer numbers.

2023 Pirates....look out world!!!!