Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

3pirates3

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by 3pirates3 »

Pirates reportedly among teams looking at Syndergaard.
Doc

Post by Doc »

3pirates3 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 am Pirates reportedly among teams looking at Syndergaard.
Syndergaard? Save the money, Ben, and just buy a cinderblock.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3pirates3 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 am Pirates reportedly among teams looking at Syndergaard.
He is not the pitcher he was a few years ago, but if the price is right maybe he could rebound with the Pirates. Possibly pitching in Pittsburgh away from the large media markets would be what he needs to regain some of the success he had prior to his TJ surgery. He is only 31 years old , so he should have something left in the tank.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 am
He is not the pitcher he was a few years ago, but if the price is right maybe he could rebound with the Pirates. Possibly pitching in Pittsburgh away from the large media markets would be what he needs to regain some of the success he had prior to his TJ surgery. He is only 31 years old , so he should have something left in the tank.
I'd rather they use the spot in the rotation for Skenes.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:58 am
fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:24 am
I'd rather they use the spot in the rotation for Skenes.
Sign Syndergaard on the cheap for 1 yr and then flip him at the deadline and then bring in Skenes.
Let's Go Bucs
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I remember when he was with the Mets. He posted a clip on bleacher report that went like this. The Mets were
rained out in CHicago He was standing in front of a TV set in his motel room and he said, " now what am I going to do today?
I guess I'll have to watch the shitty Pirates". I also remember saying " go f--- yourself you long haired freak" :lol:
Javy

Post by Javy »

I watched Syndergaard during his time with the Phillies. He had absolutely nothing compared to his former abilities. Most pitchers come back from TJS at least as good as before, many even better. Not Noah. The Phils barely used him down the stretch and in their WS run, he was that unreliable.

More often than not, even last year with the Dodgers, he couldn't get into the 5th inning, let alone out of it. He'll certainly tax a bullpen.

Noah needs to build an ark and float away. I really hope the Buc's don't sign him.
Doc

Post by Doc »

If it's true that 2025 is the season BC has targeted to compete, I find that disappointing and frustrating. But, if that's the plan, then stop bringing in guys who have nothing to offer. Give all of the playing time to the young guys who are going to be the foundation of the team. That would include the young pitchers who we began to see last year and the ones who will be in Indy and Altoona this year. Ours is a really messed-up organization.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

With Chapman, it's necessary to differentiate between the 36-year-old version the Pirates acquired and the nearly unhittable younger version we recall from years ago. Between 2012 and 2020 his worst ERA was 3.22 and there were 4 seasons in that span at 2.00 or below. And his worst WHIP during that time was 1.146 with 4 seasons below 0.900. His hits to innings rate has always been great and except for 2018 when his walks per 9 innings jumped to 5.3, he was not known for walking batters. And the next 2 years, his walk rate got down to 3.9 and 3.1.

But the last 3 years show a marked decrease in control. His walks per 9 innings leaped to 6.1 in 2021, 6.9 in 2022 and 5.6 in 2023. Those walk rates put him in Kyle Crick territory, who averaged an awful 6.6 walks per 9 innings his last 4 years before being released. Chapman's walks elevated his WHIP for 2021-2023 to 1.314, 1.431 and 1.251. Those aren't terrible but they're far from the elite numbers he used to achieve. Chapman's ERA shot up to a very poor 4.46 in 2022. But at least he kept the ERA in the 3s in 2021 and 2023 despite putting so many on base via walks.

The good news is that he remains high strikeout pitcher. That enables him to maintain a good hits to innings rate and strand a lot of the batters who receive free passes. But whenever you have a reliever who puts a lot of men on base via walks, it's a problem. Especially when it's late in the game when you can't afford to give up more runs. Hopefully, he can still throw the ball past hitters and not let them cash in on the walks.

But the starting rotation of Keller, Gonzales, Perez, my cat and the peanut vendor is not going to chew up (well, maybe my cat) a lot of innings. Chapman will get plenty of work. But I think expectations should not be too high.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Bobster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:13 pm With Chapman, it's necessary to differentiate between the 36-year-old version the Pirates acquired and the nearly unhittable younger version we recall from years ago. Between 2012 and 2020 his worst ERA was 3.22 and there were 4 seasons in that span at 2.00 or below. And his worst WHIP during that time was 1.146 with 4 seasons below 0.900. His hits to innings rate has always been great and except for 2018 when his walks per 9 innings jumped to 5.3, he was not known for walking batters. And the next 2 years, his walk rate got down to 3.9 and 3.1.

But the last 3 years show a marked decrease in control. His walks per 9 innings leaped to 6.1 in 2021, 6.9 in 2022 and 5.6 in 2023. Those walk rates put him in Kyle Crick territory, who averaged an awful 6.6 walks per 9 innings his last 4 years before being released. Chapman's walks elevated his WHIP for 2021-2023 to 1.314, 1.431 and 1.251. Those aren't terrible but they're far from the elite numbers he used to achieve. Chapman's ERA shot up to a very poor 4.46 in 2022. But at least he kept the ERA in the 3s in 2021 and 2023 despite putting so many on base via walks.

The good news is that he remains high strikeout pitcher. That enables him to maintain a good hits to innings rate and strand a lot of the batters who receive free passes. But whenever you have a reliever who puts a lot of men on base via walks, it's a problem. Especially when it's late in the game when you can't afford to give up more runs. Hopefully, he can still throw the ball past hitters and not let them cash in on the walks.

But the starting rotation of Keller, Gonzales, Perez, my cat and the peanut vendor is not going to chew up (well, maybe my cat) a lot of innings. Chapman will get plenty of work. But I think expectations should not be too high.
yeah, Chapman can't be counted on for many innings. Maybe 55. Hope he is effective when he pitches.