Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I read an interesting article (forget where, maybe fangraphs) on how making a big DL trade helped the front-runners more than a borderline playoff team. It said that because of the nature of the playoffs that it helped in reducing the randomness of the best team maybe not winning. I'm not sure about that, but it was intriguing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Cubs just ended a 100 year WS drought. The Dodgers are on 29 years. MLB still needs the other teams. It wasn't long ago when Boston was in that 100 year drought too.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, but with the way things are today they should at least be in the conversation every year (unless they really screw things up).  I think MLB wants it that way.  Every year there will be a KC or a Pirates or a Cleveland around, but they better enjoy it while they can. 
OrlandoMerced

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by OrlandoMerced »

The Cubs were a juggernaut last year, and the Dodgers are a juggernaut this year. LA has looked close, and also dumped probably a billion dollars into players throughout their organization to try and win a world series. To that, you have to say, there's always next year. The Cubs have completely gutted their farm system and really only look like a shell of the team that won last year.

The Pirates still have young controllable MLB assets, some impact prospects in AAA and some other future MLB players sprinkled through Altoona and Bradenton. They've also just completely rebuilt their lower levels with the last two drafts and some international prospects. They should have been less thrifty with prospects in 2014 & 15, but can't cry over spilled milk. They're definitely going to be in the playoff picture for years to come, and will hopefully pull the trigger on some impact deadline deals to make an actual WS run.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

I am concerned about Huntington's drafting. Watson was a Littlefield guy. I don't think the current bullpen has any of Huntington's players.

The only first round pick I didn't like was Tony Sanchez. That was such a weak draft, but still a bad pick. I didn't care for the Cole Tucker pick either, but he has time. Huntington should have had some more guys go further and at least be close to the majors. Where is that random 9th rounder (Watson) or late pick who shined on up.

I like Huntington. I feel he has done a great job overall, but his drafts should probably come into question soon. Austin Meadows needs to star like expected.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Flipping this around for a second, who do people think they should have moved that they didn't?  I am wondering if the team is interested in extending Nicasio as he seems an obvious one. 

I thought some of the position players could have been dealt, but that front was pretty quiet across the entire league.  All SP and RP moving in the deadline. 
UtahPirate

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by UtahPirate »

Given that it ended up being a buyer's market with very little movement anywhere, I was surprised at the negativity here.

But to answer your question, if we were actually building for the future -- and given the fact that the Yankees didn't part with any of their prized prospects for Gray-- he was the one guy I thought would fit well for our future and maybe we would swoop in and make an effort to get at the last minute. Outside of that, it was a boring day all around. The Cards did nothing, the Brewers hardly a peep, and the Reds, who would obviously be a target for trades, did little. Except for the Dodgers and Yankees, little happened. And given the market, they both ended up keeping the prospects they really valued.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

I guess there was no buyer's market. Once Jay Bruce didn't go, I didn't think teams would want Freese or Jaso.

I did think Jaso, Watson, Nicasio, and Hudson would be traded. I thought Stewart had an outside chance too. I wasn't expecting a big return, just something.
Ecbucs

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

69626A666362793C3A4D746C656262236E620D0 wrote: I guess there was no buyer's market.  Once Jay Bruce didn't go, I didn't think teams would want Freese or Jaso. 

I did think Jaso, Watson, Nicasio, and Hudson would be traded.  I thought Stewart had an outside chance too.  I wasn't expecting a big return, just something.

Probably most of these guys would be available on waiver deals in August but it sure seems like nobody feels they need them to get an edge at this point.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

416766716777040 wrote: I guess there was no buyer's market.  Once Jay Bruce didn't go, I didn't think teams would want Freese or Jaso. 

I did think Jaso, Watson, Nicasio, and Hudson would be traded.  I thought Stewart had an outside chance too.  I wasn't expecting a big return, just something.

Probably most of these guys would be available on waiver deals in August but it sure seems like nobody feels they need them to get an edge at this point.

I'd think Nicasio would be a good gain for some team