Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: Man am I sick of hearing the Mark Cuban buying the Pirates angle. 

I don't understand.  Why?

Mario, Cuban. I don't care.  I just want somebody that can afford to at least run the team like a small mkt team.  Cuban would be fine by me. 

Just feels like people are waiting for a knight in shining armor to come who won't be anything like they've built up in their minds. Ever seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? They couldn't wait to get to Bolivia. Sure things suck now, but things will be great once they get to Bolivia.

It also just seems so radio call-in show cliche at this point, akin to yelling "Shoot the Puck!" at all times or declaring that "Tomlin can't win the big game."
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

794B47475361424B46434C4B2A0 wrote: Man am I sick of hearing the Mark Cuban buying the Pirates angle. 

I don't understand.  Why?

Mario, Cuban. I don't care.  I just want somebody that can afford to at least run the team like a small mkt team.  Cuban would be fine by me. 

Just feels like people are waiting for a knight in shining armor to come who won't be anything like they've built up in their minds.  Ever seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid?  They couldn't wait to get to Bolivia.  Sure things suck now, but things will be great once they get to Bolivia.   

It also just seems so radio call-in show cliche at this point, akin to yelling "Shoot the Puck!" at all times or declaring that "Tomlin can't win the big game."

Lol at "shoot the puke!"

Hey, I'm trying to find some hope here! (Said in my best Mike Lang voice)!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote:

Plenty of reasons to not like what the club's doing, but not sure why about this deadline specifically.  Team was going nowhere.  Trading to boost now is throwing good money after bad.  Cardinals thought so too, who also did nothing.  Brewers got two relievers. 

The time to do something was like three months ago--at this juncture not sure I'd see the point. 

Yes. Exactly right. I don't understand the outrage either. I'm kind of surprised by it. Most here knew they were going to do nothing and were going to sell (we all knew Watson was going, all of us) some.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote:

Plenty of reasons to not like what the club's doing, but not sure why about this deadline specifically.  Team was going nowhere.  Trading to boost now is throwing good money after bad.  Cardinals thought so too, who also did nothing.  Brewers got two relievers. 

The time to do something was like three months ago--at this juncture not sure I'd see the point. 

Yes.  Exactly right.  I don't understand the outrage either.  I'm kind of surprised by it.  Most here knew they were going to do nothing and were going to sell (we all knew Watson was going, all of us) some. 

Though that being said, I was kind of interested in seeing who our SP project was going to be this time around.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

2328202C2928337670073E262F2828692428470 wrote:

Yes.  Exactly right.  I don't understand the outrage either.  I'm kind of surprised by it.  Most here knew they were going to do nothing and were going to sell (we all knew Watson was going, all of us) some. 

Just because we "we knew" doesn't mean we agree with it. I'm pretty sure north Koreans know there's not going to be a lot of variety at the local K-Mart but that doesn't mean the like it.

I think Gorman is letting out a season's worth of frustrations: the deadline is simply the end of the story. A perfectly logical place and time to tell the story.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

383F29212F387F730A2D272B2326642925274A0 wrote:

Just because we "we knew" doesn't mean we agree with it. I'm pretty sure north Koreans know there's not going to be a lot of variety at the local K-Mart but that doesn't mean the like it.

I think Gorman is letting out a season's worth of frustrations: the deadline is simply the end of the story.  A perfectly logical place and time to tell the story.

Even a waiver wire outfielder at the beginning of the season would have been good. You weren't going to get a Marte but at least go after some competence.

I place most blame for this season on players that made dumb personal decisions, but also the mgt has been bad at coming up with contingency plans. That's been a running theme even during the good years actually.
johnfluharty

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by johnfluharty »

3A3D2B232D3A7D71082F25292124662B2725480 wrote: Cuban was blocked by MLB from buying the Cubs in the past.  What makes you think he would be accepted now?

Easy - Bob Nutting.  I think MLB would throw a party if deep pockets bought the Pirates. 

Plus, whatever the issues were with Cuban are long in the past.  He's been a good owner from all I know. I think concerns are gone.

MLB doesn't care about the Pirates. MLB cares about teams in big markets.
IABucFan

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by IABucFan »

6560676169637A676E7D7B760F0 wrote: Cuban was blocked by MLB from buying the Cubs in the past.  What makes you think he would be accepted now?

Easy - Bob Nutting.  I think MLB would throw a party if deep pockets bought the Pirates. 

Plus, whatever the issues were with Cuban are long in the past.  He's been a good owner from all I know. I think concerns are gone.

MLB doesn't care about the Pirates.  MLB cares about teams in big markets.

True. 100%. But, the big market teams are tired of paying welfare to the Pirates. I have to believe that the Steinbrenners, Richetts, and Morenos of MLB would welcome a changing at the helm of the Pirates.

And Cuban has been fined for speaking his mind. The man wants to win. Can't fault him for that. Personally, I love Cuban. Most owners sit in their suite wining and dining others. Cuban is down on the floor in Mavs gear cheering as loudly as the guy sitting in Section 318. I think Cuban's great, personally.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7471767078726B767F6C6A671E0 wrote: Cuban was blocked by MLB from buying the Cubs in the past.  What makes you think he would be accepted now?

Just look at the teams that DID make "big" moves this deadline. NY, Chicago, LA. They'll always want those teams and Boston to be good almost all the time. Then if one of the "outside" 20 or so teams make a run they can point to them and say that what they're doing is working, basically to placate people.
rucker59@gmail.com

Trade Deadline Thread

01333F3F2B193A333E3B3433520 wrote: Cuban was blocked by MLB from buying the Cubs in the past.  What makes you think he would be accepted now?

Just look at the teams that DID make "big" moves this deadline.  NY, Chicago, LA.  They'll always want those teams and Boston to be good almost all the time.  Then if one of the "outside" 20 or so teams make a run they can point to them and say that what they're doing is working, basically to placate people. 

The irony though, is that most of those moves were not big market moves. The Pirates could've done them.