The other games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

The other games

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

You mean the Mike Schmidt who quit on his team mid-season?

The Mike Schmidt who quit in San Diego?

I stopped caring what Mike Schmidt thinks on that day.

He was a great player.  I'll hand him only that.
Yeah, what a quitter.  ::)

He was 39 and in his 18th season. He was coming off the worst season of his career that ended in August with rotator cuff surgery. He tried to come back for another season but it was clear he had nothing left. After a career of being one of MLB's best, he had become a 39 year old liability to his team hitting .203 with more errors (8) than HRs (6) after 42 games. The Phillies were out west on a road trip that began May 23rd and went from LA to SF to SD. After a costly error in the last game of the SF series Schmidt realized that he was hurting the team and announced his retirement when they got to SD on May 29. He was hitting .088 (5 singles in 57 ABs) over his previous 18 games. It was probably a relief to the Phillies who realized he just couldn't play anymore but would not have wanted to bench their legendary star.

Three weeks later the Phillies solved their 3B problem by acquiring Charlie Hayes from SF. Hayes was an upgrade both offensively and defensively over the 39 year old Schmidt. (I believe I heard he has a kid playing somewhere now.)

Schmidt obviously played about 2 years too many. By 1989 he was finished and knew it and retired for the benefit of his team.

So it wasn't midseason. It was about a quarter of the season. And it wasn't so much quitting on his team as it was retiring for the good of the team when it was obvious he could no longer play adequately. 

I'd forgotten about the circumstances that led to Schmidt's sudden retirement. I do remember, though, how he was so broken up at the press conference when he retired. Few players want to face that time, especially the great ones who still think they can compete with the best. I can't imagine what it must have taken for him to be in front of those people, and the cameras, and tell the baseball world that he was through after all those years of being front and center.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7F293F2B243E2E25283F0D2A202C2421632E4D0 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

He was 39 and in his 18th season. He was coming off the worst season of his career that ended in August with rotator cuff surgery. He tried to come back for another season but it was clear he had nothing left. After a career of being one of MLB's best, he had become a 39 year old liability to his team hitting .203 with more errors (8) than HRs (6) after 42 games. The Phillies were out west on a road trip that began May 23rd and went from LA to SF to SD. After a costly error in the last game of the SF series Schmidt realized that he was hurting the team and announced his retirement when they got to SD on May 29. He was hitting .088 (5 singles in 57 ABs) over his previous 18 games. It was probably a relief to the Phillies who realized he just couldn't play anymore but would not have wanted to bench their legendary star.

Three weeks later the Phillies solved their 3B problem by acquiring Charlie Hayes from SF. Hayes was an upgrade both offensively and defensively over the 39 year old Schmidt. (I believe I heard he has a kid playing somewhere now.)

Schmidt obviously played about 2 years too many. By 1989 he was finished and knew it and retired for the benefit of his team.

So it wasn't midseason. It was about a quarter of the season. And it wasn't so much quitting on his team as it was retiring for the good of the team when it was obvious he could no longer play adequately. 

I'd forgotten about the circumstances that led to Schmidt's sudden retirement.  I do remember, though, how he was so broken up at the press conference when he retired.  Few players want to face that time, especially the great ones who still think they can compete with the best.  I can't imagine what it must have taken for him to be in front of those people, and the cameras, and tell the baseball world that he was through after all those years of being front and center.
Doc's Brewers currently have MLB's longest winning streak at 6
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2274627679637378756250777D71797C3E73100 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

I'd forgotten about the circumstances that led to Schmidt's sudden retirement.  I do remember, though, how he was so broken up at the press conference when he retired.  Few players want to face that time, especially the great ones who still think they can compete with the best.  I can't imagine what it must have taken for him to be in front of those people, and the cameras, and tell the baseball world that he was through after all those years of being front and center.

Kyle Schwarber hit two home runs Monday. This makes 15 homers in 17 days. According to STATS it is the shortest span for a player to hit 15 home runs.
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

The small-market Cubs start out of the gate with 7 runs, only to see that large-market Brew Crew scratch away and are 8 runs ahead as I peck away at this.

Not sure whether that's good baseball, bad baseball, but it sure is baseball.
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

For the first game in modern MLB history.....teams trade 7-run leads within four innings. Wow.
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

073225252E1725252E2925400 wrote: For the first game in modern MLB history.....teams trade 7-run leads within four innings.  Wow.
Brewers drop 15 on the Cubs to sweep the series. They are now licking their chops as they head to PNC for four games
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

Almost Unbelievable Stat Of The Day:

Prior to today, teams that had a 7-run lead were 234 and 1.

It's 234 and 2 now.
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

6856535B4850505B7B5E495A0D3F0 wrote: For the first game in modern MLB history.....teams trade 7-run leads within four innings.  Wow.
Brewers drop 15 on the Cubs to sweep the series. They are now licking their chops as they head to PNC for four games

Can we talk them into spotting us 8 runs?
WildwoodDave2

The other games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

104650444B51414A475062454F434B4E0C41220 wrote: Mike Schmidt?

College World series Final tonight- Bednar vs. Rocker
GreenWeenie

The other games

Post by GreenWeenie »

Too bad for Rocker. If he waited until next year, he'd get more from Vandy than the Bucs. ;)