4/24 Game Thread - Bucs @ Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

If Littlefield or Huntington ever lost 21-0, we'd never hear the end of it anfld you know it.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C796E6E655C6E6E65626E0B0 wrote: If Littlefield or Huntington ever lost 21-0, we'd never hear the end of it anfld you know it.
Huntington lost 20-0 on 4/22/10.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

That changes things. If Littlefield or Huntington lost 21-0....
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

21-0. Big deal?

See World Series, 1960.

rucker59@gmail.com

7A584B56555057587B4C5A5A56390 wrote: I agree, Freddy, it's been a very enjoyable first 2 weeks. And like VaPirate has written, it feels like this team is MUCH improved in terms of fundamentals and having guys on the roster who actually know how to play baseball. It's such a refreshing change.

But like like you said, I remember last year's team opening with a surprising 12-11 record before they crashed and burned completely.

Not trying to be a downer, just realistic ... but I don't hold out much hope for this team.

It's just not sustainable with no starting pitching. And we essentially have no starting pitching. You can't have a rotation that averages about 3.2 innings per start. A rotation that gives up runs in the first inning every game. A rotation in which the starter leaves every game trailing 4-1 in the 4th inning. It just won't work.

The bullpen has been ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR. But they cannot give 5-6 innings every single game, night after night.

Also, offensively, this team has no power whatsoever, so when the bullpen finally wears down and starts giving up runs, this team isn't going to outscore anyone.

Bottom line ... I'm absolutely enjoying this season so far ... but  unfortunately I do expect this team to fall apart sooner than later.

Correct, IMHO - the Pirates can’t sustain a 500 record without starting pitching. They may lose 100 games (but I expect they will be closer to 81 wins than 62 wins).

Point #1 for 2022 season: starting pitching is woeful.

Point #2 - no surprise

Point #3 - of the current starters who has room for upgrade?

Point #4 - of the current starters, who will be in the rotation on 8/1/2023?

Welcome to Pirates 2022.

This is the first year that Ben works on Pittsburgh. Our young guys are looking promising in PGH. Our Young guys looking good at every level. We get to see Cherington add pieces: who doesn’t like Perez, Yushi, VanMeter, Chaviz, Gamel. And Marisnick.

Check out this preseason quote from the Trib: The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Marisnick, who has 75 defensive runs saved, is considered an above-average defender who can play all three outfield spots.…

Watch the Pirates beat the Cubs on Sunday because Marisnick made two SPECTACULAR plays in right field. Excellent acquisition, excellent managing to insert him in the game, excellent execution (and sheer hustle) and the Pirates win.

Can’t paint a better picture of an organization working right.

I have no doubt starting pitching will be a tough problem to solve. I have no doubt Cherington is the guy I want to try to solve the problem.

I have no doubt this season, whatever the record, is going to be a textbook on building a winning team in the not so distant future.
mouse

Post by mouse »

This year feels like 2012. I'm expecting to see some of the young prospects by mid-season.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

6265737B7562252950777D71797C3E737F7D100 wrote: 21-0. Big deal?

See World Series, 1960. 

Great.  This is the 1960 Pirates now., and the Cubs must be the 1960 Yankees.

A franchise's all-time record is big, but, to your point, only so big.  It's good that we shook that off.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

457067676C5567676C6B67020 wrote: 21-0. Big deal?

See World Series, 1960. 

A franchise's all-time record is big, but, to your point, only so big.  It's good that we shook that off.

In your never ending quest to bash the Pirates at any angle, it's no surprise that went completely over your head.

Pirates Fans: "Wooo Hooo! Took 3 of 4 from the Cubs at Wrigley where they have owned us over the last few years!"

Green Weenie: "Look at that, a 21-0 loss. BC must go"
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We've lost so much in recent decades that not even an all-time worsrt performance against a less-than-powerhouse opponent causes you concern.  We're immune to losing.

As I've written, it's good to have bounced back.

Your attacks say more about you than they say about me. I don't recall saying that Cherington should be dismissed. But, yeah, take your shot.

rucker59@gmail.com

655047474C7547474C4B47220 wrote: 21-0. Big deal?

See World Series, 1960. 

Even though Surgnbuck made my point I’ll make it myself:

No, a record breaking loss means literally ONE thing: one loss.  Nothing more.  And I trust you really do understand my point about 1960 despite your attempt to belittle it. 

Really, I have no issue with you being miserable this year. Have at it.  You’ll have plenty of company.  Those fans that want to pick apart anything possible are going to have a great year cause there will always be stuff to pick apart. 

But if you can’t see the points I made in my subsequent post about positives to see then you simply don’t want to see.