Game Thread 5/27/2022 Pirates vs. Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0C212C3D3A2B3C7C7F4E0 wrote: I'll play Devil's Advocate.

What would the reaction have been around here had Yoshi left, and if folks knew that the Pirates wouldn't even offer him $4 million?

If there were many unfavorable comments made here of that signing, I don't recall them.

Who would we have if not Yoshi?  Whomever it would be- that guy might not have worked out, either.

I'll give a pass.  $4 mil is not a large sum of MLB.... or, even Pirates money.  Polanco and Marte earned more.  If the Pirates can't handle a $4 million loss, then time to get out.
That's true. Based on what Yoshi did for the Bucs last year, fans would have been irate. However, if that was the outlier it now appears to be, and Yoshi was hitting .177 for his new team, Cherington would have earned a lot of trust from fans who would be less apt to criticize future moves. 
Not sure what happened to Yoshi, I actually thought it was a good signing based on what he did for us last year.  He supplied the Pirates with more clutch home runs than anyone I can remember in our recent past.  But he's lost presently I'm not sure what happened but he had the same issue for at least the 1st half of last year.  So maybe bench him and start playing him last of July.
The knock on him before coming to the Pirates last year was that he couldn't handle a MLB fastball. But that wasn't a problem with the Pirates last year. But it seems to be again this year. He rarely pulls anything. Most balls he hits are to LF and not with power.
Originally I thought that he was trying to beat the shift but now he can't do much of anything
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I see from the lineup posted for tonight's game that VanMeter earned the starting 1B job. I hope he remembers to read the instructions that came with the base this time.

And of course his red hot bat is in the 5 hole. WE HAVE GOT OURSELVES A MANAGER!!!