Game Thread - 7/6 - Bucs vs Yankees

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4876737B6870707B5B7E697A2D1F0 wrote: I's sure that MLB has rules I wonder what would happen if after 8

innings, Shelton just said, "that's it, I am concerned about the players safety". As others have said, this has to be addressed by

MLB
That would be a forfeit. Earl Weaver once did that with the Orioles on 9/15/77. The Blue Jays BP was along the LF line and they had the mounds covered with a tarp. Weaver said it was unsafe for LFer who could trip on the tarp. He forfeited in the 5th inning.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Am I right in saying that NHL teams have a third goalie at every game who is used in the event both of the active goalies are injured during a game? Perhaps baseball can do something similar.

Each team can have a pitcher in reserve who otherwise can't pitch during a game unless there's a blowout situation. Rules can be established that permit this extra pitcher to enter when his team trails or is ahead by "x" number of runs and only during the last inning.

He could be a pitcher from either the Triple or Double A affiliates who spends one week with the team, and then is replaced by another pitcher from one of those teams the next week. The important thing is that he'd be a legitimate pitcher, throwing various pitches at or near major league speeds.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Each team can have a pitcher in reserve who otherwise can't pitch during a game unless there's a blowout situation. Rules can be established that permit this extra pitcher to enter when his team trails or is ahead by "x" number of runs and only during the last inning.

Back in the 20s, the Pirates had this guy for a couple years:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... bu01.shtml

He was a semipro pitcher who looked good when the Pirates visited Kingston, NY for an exhibition. The Pirates signed and used him mostly as a batting practice/exhibition pitcher, but he got into a few games.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

316771656A70606B667143646E626A6F2D60030 wrote: Am I right in saying that NHL teams have a third goalie at every game who is used in the event both of the active goalies are injured during a game?

https://www.nhl.com/news/ebug-emergency ... -329248774
2drfischer@gmail.c

576478797A724479627E6562737F78160 wrote: Each team can have a pitcher in reserve who otherwise can't pitch during a game unless there's a blowout situation.  Rules can be established that permit this extra pitcher to enter when his team trails or is ahead by "x" number of runs and only during the last inning.

Back in the 20s, the Pirates had this guy for a couple years:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... bu01.shtml

He was a semipro pitcher who looked good when the Pirates visited Kingston, NY for an exhibition. The Pirates signed and used him mostly as a batting practice/exhibition pitcher, but he got into a few games.

He had a nice ERA in his short time pitching. He'd have made a good emergency pitcher in this scenario.
2drfischer@gmail.c

7E3D243F2C39283E7E4D0 wrote: Am I right in saying that NHL teams have a third goalie at every game who is used in the event both of the active goalies are injured during a game?

https://www.nhl.com/news/ebug-emergency ... -329248774

Thanks, 3P. I thought I remembered some guy coming in during an emergency and actually helping his team in a win either this past year or the year before.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Former Pirate utility guy Gary Kolb never pitched in MLB but would have been a good option when a position player was needed. Kolb, who played all 9 positions during his minor and major league career, appeared in 41 minor league games as a pitcher and totaled 75 innings with a respectable 4.20 ERA.