Bryan Reynolds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Javy »

02312D2C2F27112C372B3037262A2D430 wrote: The idea then- as it is today- was to replace guys who left with suitable talent.

I'm not sure this is the idea today. Fifteen years ago, the Coonelly-Huntington team talked about "waves of talent," but they were breaking records in draft spending. Both that and international spending are tightly regulated now. Huntington seemed to think there were a lot of "inefficiencies" that could be exploited in the player market. This group doesn't seem to see those.

It seems to me that what we're seeing is the plan: in two years we'll be good for maybe 3-4 years, but then the team will be razed again and we'll have 4-5 years of losing. I know that sounds pessimistic, but it's only last August that Cherington first used the word "rebuild."
One thing to note Babe, is that when the Huntington/Coonelly teams started winning, their core was primarily Littlefield draft picks (Cutch, Walker, Marte, Mercer), and they were supplemented by a fortunate trade with the Yankees where they acquired Burnett with NY paying most of the salaries, and signed Russell Martin for a rather inexpensive contract, They did their part in drafting Pedro, and had successful pick-ups like Garrett Jones, Jason Grilli, Francisco Liriano, etc. and tried their best in the trade market with Blanton, Melancon, and before him, Hanrahan. Justin Morneau didn't work out but at least they made the effort to go get him.

What we need to see is more and better internally developed players from the present farm system and future drafts. Not likely to strike gold again like they did with Burnett and Martin, or acquire potential breakout guys like melancon and Hanrahan.
GreenWeenie

Bryan Reynolds

Post by GreenWeenie »

Babe may be correct. I based my comment on what Burgh and national media was writing and saying, which could've been different from what Pirates FO were thinking at the time.

I dnk what their process is. I'm not sure what they're trying to do.
mouse

Bryan Reynolds

Post by mouse »

Here's some perspective on the Pirates "best offer they've ever made" argument - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/ ... eam-2.html

An offer would have to be a lot more to be consistent with other teams offers.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

393B212731540 wrote: Here's some perspective on the Pirates "best offer they've ever made" argument - https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/ ... eam-2.html

An offer would have to be a lot more to be consistent with other teams offers.

I suppose none of us should be surprised that the Pirates are at the bottom of the list. (The Athletics contract with Chavez was almost 20 years ago, and for more money per yer, so it’s really much better than the Pirates deal with Hayes.). I can’t imagine it’ll change as long as Nutting owns the franchise. His greed will make sure of that.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I kind of wonder with the signing of Rich Hill as to whether the Pirates are getting close to moving Reynolds. Possibly a pitcher such as Wilson, Thompson or Brubaker could be included in a deal. The Pirates are beginning to need roster space with the acquisition of Hill, and the eventual addition of Garcia.
Ecbucs

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Ecbucs »

2824257E777E767B7C63794E0 wrote: I kind of wonder with the signing of Rich Hill as to whether the Pirates are getting close to moving Reynolds. Possibly a pitcher such as Wilson, Thompson or Brubaker could be included in a deal. The Pirates are beginning to need roster space with the acquisition of Hill, and the eventual addition of Garcia.

I am thinking that if Reynolds is dealt they are going to need roster spaces too. Reynolds is probably going to bring back 2 players on 40 man and one who doesn't have to be on it yet. So at least one additional roster space. Can Underwood make it to spring training?
Surgnbuck

Bryan Reynolds

Post by Surgnbuck »

7A76772C252C24292E312B1C0 wrote: I kind of wonder with the signing of Rich Hill as to whether the Pirates are getting close to moving Reynolds. Possibly a pitcher such as Wilson, Thompson or Brubaker could be included in a deal. The Pirates are beginning to need roster space with the acquisition of Hill, and the eventual addition of Garcia.
I'm guessing two pitchers would go, I don't think Reynolds has anything to do with it.

I've been trying to find when teams can place a player on the 60 day IL, but can't find a specific date. Max Kranick would most certainly be added due to TJ. So, if teams can't start stashing guys on the 60 day yet, he'd also be a good DFA candidate I would think, he'd certainly clear waivers. I'm thinking Underwood, Thompson, and Wilson would also be in the crosshairs.
fjk090852-7

Bryan Reynolds

Post by fjk090852-7 »

684E495C55594E58503B0 wrote: I kind of wonder with the signing of Rich Hill as to whether the Pirates are getting close to moving Reynolds. Possibly a pitcher such as Wilson, Thompson or Brubaker could be included in a deal. The Pirates are beginning to need roster space with the acquisition of Hill, and the eventual addition of Garcia.
I'm guessing two pitchers would go, I don't think Reynolds has anything to do with it.

I've been trying to find when teams can place a player on the 60 day IL, but can't find a specific date. Max Kranick would most certainly be added due to TJ. So, if teams can't start stashing guys on the 60 day yet, he'd also be a good DFA candidate I would think, he'd certainly clear waivers. I'm thinking Underwood, Thompson, and Wilson would also be in the crosshairs.
I am not sure when a player can be placed on the 60 day IL, but when Kranick goes go on the IL they may use his slot for the backup catcher position. I agree with you that the 3 players you listed as being possibly designated as well as Swaggerty who I don’t believe this FO thinks to highly of.
3pirates3

Bryan Reynolds

Post by 3pirates3 »

steve49

Bryan Reynolds

Post by steve49 »

6E2D342F3C29382E6E5D0 wrote: https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1718739/ ... ers-moves/

good read