Official Game Thread - 5/24 - Bucs vs. Rangers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

40484B7C6A4F6867090 wrote: BTW, Rodriguez is 1-2 with a homer tonight. Indy game is on MLB.TV if you subscribe. Andujar also with a homer. Lots of people were clamoring for him to come up in place of Maggi. He, too, was raking in AAA. Not so much in MLB. AAA success clearly doesn't necessarily translate to MLB. But, I'd still rather see Davis/Rodriguez getting ABs than Hedges/Delay.

Endy looks to be the closest to Pittsburgh, and Davis has really come on strong this season. I could live with Rodriquez being promoted soon, but I think it would do Davis some good to see at least a month’s-worth of Triple A pitches. Gonzales could benefit by the same thing. Again, I want those guys here, but I’d like them to be a bit more prepared than they currently are.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

184E584C435949424F586A4D474B434604492A0 wrote: BTW, Rodriguez is 1-2 with a homer tonight. Indy game is on MLB.TV if you subscribe. Andujar also with a homer. Lots of people were clamoring for him to come up in place of Maggi. He, too, was raking in AAA. Not so much in MLB. AAA success clearly doesn't necessarily translate to MLB. But, I'd still rather see Davis/Rodriguez getting ABs than Hedges/Delay.

Endy looks to be the closest to Pittsburgh, and Davis has really come on strong this season.  I could live with Rodriquez being promoted soon, but I think it would do Davis some good to see at least a month’s-worth of Triple A pitches.  Gonzales could benefit by the same thing.  Again, I want those guys here, but I’d like them to be a bit more prepared than they currently are.

Another thing to consider is having a third catcher. If they recalled BOTH Davis and Rodriguez, would they have to try to get Hedges and Delay through waivers? Maybe this is why they let Heineman go (even though he cleared). You need a third catcher. Right now, the Bucs don't have one. If Hedges or Delay gets injured, Endy likely comes up, I assume?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Get an adequate catcher. Deal Hayes to get one. We need a third baseman who can hit as a third baseman should and a catcher who can hit at the MLB level.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

356375616E74646F627547606A666E6B2964070 wrote: Pirates are now 5-16 since their 20-8 start and have lost 16 of their last 21 games. Won’t get any easier heading out West to both Seattle and San Fran. Another disappointing homestand should have won at least 1 or 2 more games. I agree unless this offense can start hitting again real soon this team is gonna be under .500 sooner rather then later. This offense flat out stinks.

Nearly two months into the season, weaknesses show themselves.  The Bucs primary weakness:  daily line-ups filled with utility players.  It’s getting to the time to start bringing more of the future to Pittsburgh.  If they’re ready, Endy, Henry Davis, and Nick Gonzales need to be here before July 1.

All 3 need brought up now not on July 1st. You gotta get some kind of spark and life into this offense. Maybe the young guys and some new blood will do it. Guys on the roster now such as Santana, Hayes and Suwinski just to name a few aren’t hitting at all. This season now is in danger I believe of slipping away the next 2 weeks or so if this offense continues to hit the way they are now. Things have to improve and change soon or this team is gonna find themselves 5-10 games under .500 come mid June.

I know that because the Pirates are so close to first place, and haven’t been in this position in a few years, that we want them to go all in to try to win.  But realistically, with the players they have, there’s little chance, even if the division is wanting.  BC has little in the way of trade pieces on the major league team who would bring back a big league-ready guy who would make a difference.  And I absolutely do not want him trading any of the top minor league talent he’s accumulated.

While I want the three minor league guys mentioned above to be here, I want them here when they’re ready and won’t be overwhelmed.  If that means 100 more at bats in Indy or Altoona, then I’m okay with that because I believe that being ready to compete in 2024 is more important than chasing after something unattainable in 2023.

If by July 1, if the team is still in contention, then those three players will be better prepared to help.  At that point, I say go for it and try to win this year.  There would be nothing to lose and lots of experience for them to gain.

winner winner chicken dinner.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Was anyone else listening to MLBNR this morning?

A big-time Pirates fan from Florida called, asking very fair and what I thought were reasonable questions about how the Pirates hacmve been run, especially as the decisions affect games. His point was, that we could have won a few more recently against othe good teams.

Eduardo Perez gave answers that seemed to be in line with some of Shelton's hands are tied behind his back; tgat some decisions are made "in advance" and ""by committee."

The part that concerns me the most was- no one (in management) expected the team to compete, and (my words here, not his)- they're figuring out who has a future with the team.

So what if they're ahead of expectations? When you have a chance to win, win, FCOL. Nobody knows what next year or any year will look like.

This is not ST.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

0D382F2F241D2F2F24232F4A0 wrote: Was anyone else listening to MLBNR this morning?

A big-time Pirates fan from Florida called, asking very fair and what I thought were reasonable questions about how the Pirates hacmve been run, especially as the decisions affect games.  His point was, that we could have won a few more recently against othe good teams.

Eduardo Perez gave answers that seemed to be in line with some of Shelton's hands are tied behind his back; tgat some decisions are made "in advance" and ""by committee."

The part that concerns me the most was- no one (in management) expected the team to compete, and (my words here, not his)- they're figuring out who has a future with the team.

So what if they're ahead of expectations?  When you have a chance to win, win, FCOL.  Nobody knows what next year or any year will look like.

This is not ST.

Can't say I was listening to that, but I agree with you. I doubt anyone at MLBN knows what's going on in the Pirates FO, or any other team for the matter.

But regardless, the fact remains that as we sit here on the morning of May 25, 2023, the Pittsburgh Pirates would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. And it's not "early" anymore. In five games, or by the end of this road trip, we'll have played exactly 1/3 of the season. Maybe they're "ahead of schedule." Maybe they just played over their heads for a month. It doesn't matter. With a third of the season in the books, the Pirates are in a playoff position. They also play in what is shaping up to be a VERY winnable division. And if you want proof of what sneaking into the playoffs can bring, look no further than Miami, as they prepare to watch both the 8-seeded Heat and Panthers play for titles.

Maybe they had an eye to next year. Who cares? They're in it THIS year. Play your best players. Heck, I don't care if they draft Dylan Crews and realize the next day that he's their best option in CF. If he is, and they're still in contention, bring him up! This team, who played over their heads for a month to put themselves in this position, and their fanbase who have suffered through three decades of being the laughing stock of MLB, deserve at least that much.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm fairly sure that these guys and women have connections in the industry and the team.  I've had mine in all of the industries that I've worked in.  It's fairly common.  Some of these people have served in similar roles. 

Think of all the places where MLB executives, managers. coaches, and players have worked.  They get around.  They talk.  Not that many secrets.

Things might not be 100% correct, bit I'm sure there's a lot of truth to this.

It fits perfectly well with Nutting's reported "collaborative effort" style.  He might be the aggressive type.  He just don't come across to me as aggressive.  Anything but.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

744156565D6456565D5A56330 wrote: I'm fairly sure that these guys and women have connections in the industry and the team.  I've had mine in all of the industries that I've worked in.  It's fairly common.  Some of these people have served in similar roles. 

Think of all the places where MLB executives, managers. coaches, and players have worked.  They get around.  They talk.  Not that many secrets.

Things might not be 100% correct, bit I'm sure there's a lot of truth to this.

It fits perfectly well with Nutting's reported "collaborative effort" style.  He might be the aggressive type.  He just don't come across to me as aggressive.  Anything but.
The comments from Eduardo Perez are consistent with Joe Maddon's book, in which he said decisions are made by GMs prior to the game regarding who is or isn't available and also with Jason Mackey's answer to my question on Friday in the PPG in which he said decisions are "a collaboration."
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

They started out really hot. Everyone knows they weren't THAT good, they were on a 115 win pace. Then they've been ice cold, at a 40 wins in a season pace. Everyone knows they're not THAT bad.

I think what's driving a lot of decisions is management trying to figure out where the actual level point is with this team. It's really hard to make decisions when everyone seems to be going the same direction at the same time, good or bad.

The only part of the team with any consistency has been the starting rotation. I looked at all the boxes of the games they lost, and only count 8 where the starter buried the team. The other losses were leads blown by the bullpen, sloppy play, or because there was no offense to speak of.

I can't hardly blame them right now for not overreacting. My only issues are why they keep bringing up outfielders who were hot in Indy, only to play them sporadically when they call them up, and not settling on a consistent middle infield.

Palacios is the latest outfielder. He's had all of 18 AB's in 13 games. Andujar and Smith-Njigba went through the same thing. If you're afraid to sit Suwinski for an extended period to give someone else a legitimate look, then don't bring these guys up. Go find yourself another Gamel.

Cruz going down has really been felt on both sides of the ball. It always amazed me how mediocre his numbers were, simply because Cruz always seemed to come through. Guy on third, nobody or one out? Seemed he never failed to bring that guy in. We see now how his impact at short was too. Though he was prone to errors, the plays he made that no one else could seemed to balance that a bit. Castro only makes a lot of errors.

Bae wasn't much better. Now Marcano is playing more, and still gets the platoon treatment. Just let him stay at short until Cruz is back. Let Castro stay at second even if a righty is pitching. I've seen enough to know, those two need to be the every day players, and Bae rarely seeing the field, and if possible Owings never.

One other thing. Cutch and Santana are being used way too much. We now see the value of Choi. You know who's been playing some first base? Endy Rodriguez. He also has played some second base and left field. With this kind of versatility, those two can get the time off, and we have a third catcher to boot. We can say goodbye to Owings, is a painless process.

But my guess is this move is about 3-4 weeks away. It's so obvious. I just hope the team can hold their head above water. Rodriguez isn't going to be a savior, but he possibly can improve the the team in a number of ways based upon his versatility.

steve49

Post by steve49 »

595152657356717E100 wrote: BTW, Rodriguez is 1-2 with a homer tonight. Indy game is on MLB.TV if you subscribe. Andujar also with a homer. Lots of people were clamoring for him to come up in place of Maggi. He, too, was raking in AAA. Not so much in MLB. AAA success clearly doesn't necessarily translate to MLB. But, I'd still rather see Davis/Rodriguez getting ABs than Hedges/Delay.

Rodriguez was 0-6 with 3 K's last night and is now down to .233. I think you meant to say at one point Gonzales was 1-2 with a Hr ? He ended up 1-5 .