The Future . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

The Future . . .

Post by GreenWeenie »

We've seen Hayes for a couple of seasons.  Yes, we saw Alvarez' weaknesses.  We moved on from him before any long-term commitment.  We're seeing Hayes' weaknesses now.

Hayes is certainly thought of, along with Reynolds, Cruz, and Keller, as a guy who is part of the team's reSURGence. 

I dont advocate for moving away from him today.  I'm just not counting on him.  I dont think that the team should, either, until he improves.  I think that's a fair and reasonable assessment. I consider him adequate for the team as it is today, unless winning in 2023 is the goal  If we're able to improve upon that, I'm all for it.

As it is, he's a late-inning defensive replacement.
Surgnbuck

The Future . . .

Post by Surgnbuck »

He was injured most of last season. But I get, he's the flavor of the day. I have played the game too with Hedges, and not long after we saw the Delay debacle. Next in line it's looking like Connor Joe. Hill is about ready for a second spin. Funny how the merry go round works. Just about every guy has been it.
ChillinStation

The Future . . .

Post by ChillinStation »

Hayes is very lucky to have signed that contract. Pirates will be eating it for a few more years. It`s not really that bad most teams could take it on. Just need to hide him for the rest of year at the 7/8 spot. I can see some late season rest for Hayes if he doesnt pick things up.Gonzales has been playing 3B at Indy and needs to come up soon.
GreenWeenie

The Future . . .

Post by GreenWeenie »

Probably deserves to be under The Present, but we all know The Present.

The Present is that our first baseman, Carlos Santana, hasn't been smooth at all.

I do not fault Cherington for acquiring Santana.  I supported the move and I won't be hypocritical.  What I will do is admit my error.  It is a mistake.  But, it's a bigger mistake to keep him.  He's not pulling his weight.

I couldn't care less how great a guy the guy is.  I'm not interested in his alleged leadership presence or anything he does in the clubhouse.  He's been a disappointment out there.  We didn't acquire the guy expecting these numbers.  He's aged and well beyond his prime, when I had hoped that a change of atmosphere would be good for him and us.  Hasn't been.

The Cardinals will most likely make Paul Goldschmidt available.  Whether they would make Goldy available to the Pirates or Brewers might be another story.  He will go for one suspect, and it won't be a top tier suspect, unless they would be asked to do some salary swallowing.

So, the Cardinals don't want to make a deal with the Pirates, you say?  Offer two Top 20 suspects.  Their minds will suddenly change.

We won't miss the suspects, and we might not miss out on the division or the LCS.  Make the move before a competitor does.

Paul Goldschmidt in a Pirates uniform will look far better than Carlos Santana in one.  Paul Goldschmidt in a Pirates uniform will look far better than Paul Goldschmidt in any other uniform.  This is the offensive move to make.  I'd also look to make a pitching deal. 

Bobster21

The Future . . .

Post by Bobster21 »

083D2A2A21182A2A21262A4F0 wrote: Probably deserves to be under The Present, but we all know The Present.

The Present is that our first baseman, Carlos Santana, hasn't been smooth at all.

I do not fault Cherington for acquiring Santana.  I supported the move and I won't be hypocritical.  What I will do is admit my error.  It is a mistake.  But, it's a bigger mistake to keep him.  He's not pulling his weight.

I couldn't care less how great a guy the guy is.  I'm not interested in his alleged leadership presence or anything he does in the clubhouse.  He's been a disappointment out there.  We didn't acquire the guy expecting these numbers.  He's aged and well beyond his prime, when I had hoped that a change of atmosphere would be good for him and us.  Hasn't been.

The Cardinals will most likely make Paul Goldschmidt available.  Whether they would make Goldy available to the Pirates or Brewers might be another story.  He will go for one suspect, and it won't be a top tier suspect, unless they would be asked to do some salary swallowing.

So, the Cardinals don't want to make a deal with the Pirates, you say?  Offer two Top 20 suspects.  Their minds will suddenly change.

We won't miss the suspects, and we might not miss out on the division or the LCS.  Make the move before a competitor does.

Paul Goldschmidt in a Pirates uniform will look far better than Carlos Santana in one.  Paul Goldschmidt in a Pirates uniform will look far better than Paul Goldschmidt in any other uniform.  This is the offensive move to make.  I'd also look to make a pitching deal.   
Actually, I think they are getting more out of Santana than they expected. And that's not saying much. He was signed as a 37 year-old, 13-year veteran whose career has been in serious decline. In 2020, he hit .199. In 2021, he hit .214. In 2022, he hit .202. His power has also diminished since 2019 and seems to be at a career low right now. I believe Cherington signed him to be a positive influence on young players despite his evaporating offense. Currently at .227, he's probably exceeding expectations and playing great defense. I doubt he will maintain that BA and will likely finish below .220.

I think most teams expect more at 1B but BC set the bar pretty low when he signed Santana. He knew what he was getting.
ChillinStation

The Future . . .

Post by ChillinStation »

At least we have a Choi return to look forward to.
Surgnbuck

The Future . . .

Post by Surgnbuck »

073225252E1725252E2925400 wrote: Probably deserves to be under The Present, but we all know The Present.

[highlight]The Present is that our first baseman, Carlos Santana, hasn't been smooth at all.[/highlight]

Sorry, you really don't know how good this dude has been for the team. This is the advantage of getting to go to games, and watching the guy play first base.

He's immeasurably better than anything we've had over at first base in a long, long time.

He's being played too much, but that's simply because Choi is out. Dude is 100% hustle at the plate, and 50 year old Scotch smooth on the field.
IABucFan

The Future . . .

Post by IABucFan »

His most recent pop up in the third inning notwithstanding, which happened about one minute before I posted this, Santana has been good for the Bucs. His defense has been excellent, and he's provided more than I expected with the bat. Having to play nearly everyday has been detrimental to him, IMO. They need to get Choi back or have Joe take a couple of starts a week at first base. He seems to be better at the plate when he gets regular rest.
GreenWeenie

The Future . . .

Post by GreenWeenie »

Being so "immensely" better than other guys is no reason to keep him.  Goldschmidt is immensely better than him.

He isn't any better than his numbers.  You are what your record says that you are.  His record this year is poor.

They haven't named any illness for him yet, but if we wait a little longer, they just might.
Surgnbuck

The Future . . .

Post by Surgnbuck »

685D4A4A41784A4A41464A2F0 wrote: Being so "immensely" better than other guys is no reason to keep him.  Goldschmidt is immensely better than him.

He isn't any better than his numbers.  You are what your record says that you are.  His record this year is poor.

They haven't named any illness for him yet, but if we wait a little longer, they just might.
Weenie....please, just stop.

A. We're not getting Goldschmidt.

B. Yes, it is better having someone way better than what we have had in the past.

C. Goldy isn't coming here.

D. The team Goldy is on is in last place.

E. Goldy isn't coming here even if the Cardinals paid his entire salary, which by my estimation is around 39 million dollars.

F. Santana is just fine. He plays too much. That's a product of some injuries around the horn. He's still driven in 3 fewer than Goldy. I know, I know it's parsing a stat. But run production, that's what people are complaining about, right? Goldy has THREE, count them 3 more RBI than Santana. And that's playing for a team loaded with offensive players.

G. G is for Goldy.

H. H is for He isn't coming here.

I. I is for, yeah, in reality, I would rather have Goldy than Santana.

J. J is for just listen to me. Goldy isn't coming here.

K, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z. They are all for something, but most of all....Goldy isn't coming here.