Official Game Thread - 6/15 - Bucs @ Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

And still in first place. Man, the Central divisions of MLB may stink but going to be fun watching the battle for first place.

As I posted before beware the Reds.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Pirates have a real chance to win the division and BC is sitting on his hands. Go get a difference maker or at least try. The Cards will not be down for long.

Castro first pitch pop up with Joe on 3rd

and no outs was pathetic.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Everyone take a deep breath and stay away from sharp objects and bridges. Every team stinks for some stretch of the season, even against division rivals. And teams like the Pirates, mostly young and not quite talented enough, have a few more of these stretches.

Realistically, the expectations for them to win the division are quite slim, even if the division is bad. If they do win it, it'll be such a wonderful gift to us fanatics. If they don't, we at least feel alive again in that they're giving us hope and are treating us to something we haven't seen in eight long years. The future seems much brighter, something we couldn't say at the end of last season.

So remain calm, stay grounded, and enjoy what's unfolding, even if you have to hold your nose more often than you'd like to. The climb out of the depths, which we can now see is finally underway, takes time and is never easy. It's all going to be worth it soon.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

114751454A50404B465163444E424A4F0D40230 wrote: Everyone take a deep breath and stay away from sharp objects and bridges.  Every team stinks for some stretch of the season, even against division rivals.  And teams like the Pirates, mostly young and not quite talented enough, have a few more of these stretches.

Realistically, the expectations for them to win the division are quite slim, even if the division is bad.  If they do win it, it'll be such a wonderful gift to us fanatics.  If they don't, we at least feel alive again in that they're giving us hope and are treating us to something we haven't seen in eight long years.  The future seems much brighter, something we couldn't say at the end of last season.

So remain calm, stay grounded, and enjoy what's unfolding, even if you have to hold your nose more often than you'd like to.  The climb out of the depths, which we can now see is finally underway, takes time and is never easy.  It's all going to be worth it soon.
I couldn't have said it better, doc. Big series coming up against the team we have learned to hate
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

210A0B0E0E0B0C311603160B0D0C620 wrote: Pirates have a real chance to win the division and BC is sitting on his hands. Go get a difference maker or at least try. The Cards will not be down for long.

Can you make suggestions as to what BC should do, such as potential trades or acquisitions, and who he would have to trade to get the return you want?
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

1F495F4B445E4E45485F6D4A404C4441034E2D0 wrote: Everyone take a deep breath and stay away from sharp objects and bridges.  Every team stinks for some stretch of the season, even against division rivals.  And teams like the Pirates, mostly young and not quite talented enough, have a few more of these stretches.

Realistically, the expectations for them to win the division are quite slim, even if the division is bad.  If they do win it, it'll be such a wonderful gift to us fanatics.  If they don't, we at least feel alive again in that they're giving us hope and are treating us to something we haven't seen in eight long years.  The future seems much brighter, something we couldn't say at the end of last season.

So remain calm, stay grounded, and enjoy what's unfolding, even if you have to hold your nose more often than you'd like to.  The climb out of the depths, which we can now see is finally underway, takes time and is never easy.  It's all going to be worth it soon.

So very right! Tough to do but have to remember I expected them to be 5-10 games under .500 by now.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4B6061646461665B7C697C616766080 wrote: Pirates have a real chance to win the division and BC is sitting on his hands. Go get a difference maker or at least try. The Cards will not be down for long.

My concern is- and, i hope that I am wrong that TCBT doesn't want to win, deep down inside.

Rather, I feel that they choose to delay (again) so that fans see this year.....then, get excited about next season's outlook.

If we succeed this year, less excitement for next.  It will be expected.  I read that in comments on this board.

I say- this year matters a lot.  We've caught opponents when they weren't looking. 

Next year, no one knows.  It could be successful.  It might not be.

We are winning.  We should keep winning.

Just my opinion.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5164737378417373787F73160 wrote: Pirates have a real chance to win the division and BC is sitting on his hands. Go get a difference maker or at least try. The Cards will not be down for long.

My concern is- and, i hope that I am wrong that TCBT doesn't want to win, deep down inside.

Rather, I feel that they choose to delay (again) so that fans see this year.....then, get excited about next season's outlook.

If we succeed this year, less excitement for next.  It will be expected.  I read that in comments on this board.

I say- this year matters a lot.  We've caught opponents when they weren't looking. 

Just my opinion.

As long as they don't claim to be trying to win, they don't face criticism for failing. Since Cherington and Shelton arrived, the focus has always been on tomorrow. Get the fans excited about the possibility of winning at some future time. It's a big leap to say, "Ok, this is it! This is what we've been planning toward. It's happening now!" Because then they are scrutinized solely on results instead of the abstract hope for some unspecified future. This year they are enjoying the luxury of being competitive in a weak division at just 1 game over .500 while still putting the focus on the future. BC doesn't seem to want to "go for it" this year. They're still rotating 2B, SS, RF as if it's spring training and starting Hedges when they have 2 top catching prospects in AAA. The effort still seems geared toward tomorrow rather than today.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7F4A5D5D566F5D5D56515D380 wrote: Pirates have a real chance to win the division and BC is sitting on his hands. Go get a difference maker or at least try. The Cards will not be down for long.

Just my opinion.

People will be less excited next year? Sorry, you're completely off base there. I point to 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015...each year became even better. Attendance figures as the fan base grew more excited in anticipation that the next season would be even better:

2010 (105 losses)-1,613,399

2011 (90 losses)- 1,940,429

2012 (83 losses)- 2,091,918

2013 (68 losses)- 2,256,862

2014 (74 losses)- 2,442,564

2015 (64 losses)- 2,498,596

It took till 2018 before attendance and interest dropped below the 2010 level.

They have a plan in place. That plan has been working. The team they assembled this year at the outset was good enough to win the division, and they know that, IMHO. But like any team, you have no clue who will go down. Cruz. Their pitching depth. That's some huge holes to fill, and they've done it internally instead of doing a stupid knee jerk reaction, by trading for marginal guys at a premium price. They are doing what the Dodgers are doing right now, you ought to read what their fan base has to say, and that team has money. Imagine what Mets fans are going through, highest payroll and highest number or near highest number of games missed by players on the IL.

They're going about things the right way. If they do make any kind of trade, it will be for some marginal guy for a marginal guy.

Just like the team, after a bad loss (or series) we're all starting to learn to wash it off, and look forward to the next series. It's a completely different vibe now from the Ka'ai Tom and John Nogowski days. I know, I'm at the park, and it's like 2011 all over again, with fans coming back and getting on the bandwagon.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

BTW, the Pirates are averaging about 3K more per game than last season, and the summer months have just got here.

If you haven't been to PNC in a while, come on down especially the weekends. It's a blast. If you're not for the big crowds, come to the midweek games. Even those are getting larger now.