Davis being promoted to the Bucs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

426463767F7364727A110 wrote: So they stick Davis in the OF and the poor guy is hoping like hell nobody hits the ball to him. Thats just a terrible position to be in.

He's played 13 games this year in RF. When you have a fantastic catching duo like Hedges and Delay, it's hard to crack the lineup.  ::)

In the olden days the Bucs thought Manny Sanguillen could be a decent right fielder. 

I remember listening to a game on the radio where the Expos had put catcher (but primarily pinch hitter) into left field to get his bat in the line up.  Nelly King and Bob Prince felt sorry for him as he showed he didn't know how to catch a fly ball.  They kept laughing.  I'm not sure PNC is the best place to start a player in the outfield as the Clemente Wall is going to be tricky. 

At this point, Davis has not even tried first base.
The only reason the Pirates put Sanguillen in right field was because he was a beloved member of the team, and a very close friend of Clemente. The fans would not give him a hard time. It would have been an impossible task for anyone to take over right field in 1973 and not feel they had to live up to Clemente. Sanguillen was the perfect choice.

Under that circumstance, Manny was about the only choice....unless they left RF unfilled. Agree, Surg. Sangy was not auditioning or throwing gum on any wall. We needed him there. He went. Someone had to.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D5B5C49404C5B4D452E0 wrote: So they stick Davis in the OF and the poor guy is hoping like hell nobody hits the ball to him. Thats just a terrible position to be in.

He's played 13 games this year in RF. When you have a fantastic catching duo like Hedges and Delay, it's hard to crack the lineup.  ::)

In the olden days the Bucs thought Manny Sanguillen could be a decent right fielder. 

I remember listening to a game on the radio where the Expos had put catcher (but primarily pinch hitter) into left field to get his bat in the line up.  Nelly King and Bob Prince felt sorry for him as he showed he didn't know how to catch a fly ball.  They kept laughing.  I'm not sure PNC is the best place to start a player in the outfield as the Clemente Wall is going to be tricky. 

At this point, Davis has not even tried first base.
The only reason the Pirates put Sanguillen in right field was because he was a beloved member of the team, and a very close friend of Clemente. The fans would not give him a hard time. I[highlight]t would have been an impossible task for anyone to take over right field in 1973 and not feel they had to live up to Clemente.[/highlight] Sanguillen was the perfect choice.
I agree he was the perfect choice especially since they had catcher covered with Milt May. However, my point is that you can't just throw somebody out in right field and expect him to be okay defensively.

I don't know if fans would have given another right fielder a hard time for trying to replace Clemente. I don't think any one gave Ritchie Zisk a hard time for replacing Clemente (although it helped that he played well)
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It didn't need to be forever Ebucs, just long enough for people to know it was time to move on.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

66474F664D45220 wrote: Hey guys, I am back but on a rehab assignment.  I plan to listen to the game and do the Official Game Day Thread if possible.

This being a big game will you take the night off and go to the game Surg?  It would be fun to see your commentary on the game.

I hope you bounce back well. Are you rehabbing in the minors somewhere? Will you be buying your teammates a nice, new, fancy, bus or just buy all of them a new Rolex?
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Does nobody else here think he shouldn't be here at all yet?

Josh Rowntree

@JRown32

·

Jun 18

From what I can find... with 421 minor league at bats, Henry Davis will have the fewest ABs of any #1 overall pick to reach MLB since Bob Horner in 1978.

Bryce Harper, Alex Rodriguez, Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey Jr. & Darryl Strawberry all had more MiLB ABs than Davis.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think Sanguillen went to right because he had the bat and defensive tools to play there, and because Milt May was considered an outstanding catching prospect. After the season, May was dealt even-up for Jerry Reuss.
ArnoldRothstein

Bryce Harper, Alex Rodriguez, Chipper Jones, Ken Griffey Jr. & Darryl Strawberry all had more MiLB ABs than Davis.

These guys were all high school players except for Harper, who I think graduated early and still got drafted at 17.
ArnoldRothstein

Jun 18

From what I can find... with 421 minor league at bats, Henry Davis will have the fewest ABs of any #1 overall pick to reach MLB since Bob Horner in 1978.

I think that once you confine this to college position players, you're down to eight guys: Surhoff, King, Nevin, Erstad, Burrell, Swanson, Rutchsman, and Torkelson.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Great.

I quit following hockey a long time ago only because of time.  My hockey history's a bit weak.

When the Pens drafted Sid Crosby, did they make him a goalie?

Did the Steelers make Bradshaw a punter?

We don't win for reasons.  This is not a problem with any Collective Bargaining Agreement.  It's 100% internal and by design.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4075626269506262696E62070 wrote: Great.

I quit following hockey a long time ago only because of time.  My hockey history's a bit weak.

When the Pens drafted Sid Crosby, did they make him a goalie?

Did the Steelers make Bradshaw a punter?

We don't win for reasons.  This is not a problem with any Collective Bargaining Agreement.  It's 100% internal and by design.
Now just hold on a cotton-pickin' minute, GW. After all, this is the same franchise that drafted slugger John Van Benschoten in the 1st round and turned him into a pitch...er....uh...wait....never mind.

But seriously, I think if Cherington had not squandered $5 million of his boss's money on Hedges, he would be only too anxious to install Davis behind the plate. But Cherington is now in CYA mode and has to pretend that signing Hedges was the right move and that there's no room for Davis behind the plate until Hedges is nontendered next year.