Official Game Thread - 6/6 - Bucs vs Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 6/6 - Bucs vs Dodgers

Post by Doc »

bucs607179 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:08 am Cruz is an odd duck. Some on the side he'll improve. I am not on that side. He may have talent but he doesn't seem to have baseball smarts.
That seems to have become apparent, which is why I'd like to see him moved off of shortstop. And while hitters certainly have to be smart in their approach and knowing what to do in certain situations, I don't think he'll be a liability in that respect.

He's the only guy perhaps in the whole organization who has slugger power. The team desperately needs that kind of bat. Right now, he's frustrating us because we've expected more from him faster. I have to keep reminding myself that it's his first full year and he's going to struggle. What else makes those struggles harder to take is that Elly De La Cruz, a guy he'll be compared to for as long as he plays, is already finding success.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:24 pm
bucs607179 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:08 am Cruz is an odd duck. Some on the side he'll improve. I am not on that side. He may have talent but he doesn't seem to have baseball smarts.
That seems to have become apparent, which is why I'd like to see him moved off of shortstop. And while hitters certainly have to be smart in their approach and knowing what to do in certain situations, I don't think he'll be a liability in that respect.

He's the only guy perhaps in the whole organization who has slugger power. The team desperately needs that kind of bat. Right now, he's frustrating us because we've expected more from him faster. I have to keep reminding myself that it's his first full year and he's going to struggle. What else makes those struggles harder to take is that Elly De La Cruz, a guy he'll be compared to for as long as he plays, is already finding success.
I agree with all of that, Doc. But the problem that the Pirates, and by extension, their fans have is that Pirate players have short shelf lives. The Pirates go thru the growing pains early in the careers and then the players leave for greener pastures when they reach their potential. Cruz is a FA in 2029, which means he'll likely be traded prior to the 2028 season or even during 2027. They can't afford to give him several years to become a competent SS. If he doesn't find his real defensive spot or become the hitter they hope for until 2025 or 2026, he'll have a very small window in which to make an impact.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:28 pm
Doc wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:24 pm

I agree with all of that, Doc. But the problem that the Pirates, and by extension, their fans have is that Pirate players have short shelf lives. The Pirates go thru the growing pains early in the careers and then the players leave for greener pastures when they reach their potential. Cruz is a FA in 2029, which means he'll likely be traded prior to the 2028 season or even during 2027. They can't afford to give him several years to become a competent SS. If he doesn't find his real defensive spot or become the hitter they hope for until 2025 or 2026, he'll have a very small window in which to make an impact.
Absolutely. The best players won't be here long so it's a benefit for them to have good first years. There's still more than half the season left in this one so, while I'm not ready to look to trade him away, I'd like for him to start producing offensively sooner rather than later, even if that means a three week stay in Indy to get him back on track.