7/22 Game Thread - Future Weekend, Part 1

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7D5A4B4F4A57685C4B4A4A572E0 wrote: Second complete game by Eflin?

Kind of start we were hoping from Cole.... Cole pitched decent tonight and wasn't bad. The offense has to do a better job of scoring runs. I'll give Eflin credit he pitched good but this offense since the break has flat out stunk. Cutch has to hit better it starts with him it's as simple as that. Still got 2 games left in this series and 4 games left on this homestand. So far through 4 games we are 2-2 which is not good enough gotta be better. Gotta win 3 of these next 4. Very important to do so.

I'll probably get jumped for this, nevertheless: once again Cole was good, but way too often the other guy is simply better.  Eflin was prepared and good enough to win that game 1-0.  That's not true for Garrett, it rarely is. 

Cole is a very good pitcher but I'm betting and certainly hoping he will be no better than the 3rd best starter in our rotation by the end of the year.
Quail

Post by Quail »

5D5A4C444A5D1A166F48424E4643014C40422F0 wrote: Second complete game by Eflin?

Kind of start we were hoping from Cole.... Cole pitched decent tonight and wasn't bad. The offense has to do a better job of scoring runs. I'll give Eflin credit he pitched good but this offense since the break has flat out stunk. Cutch has to hit better it starts with him it's as simple as that. Still got 2 games left in this series and 4 games left on this homestand. So far through 4 games we are 2-2 which is not good enough gotta be better. Gotta win 3 of these next 4. Very important to do so.

I'll probably get jumped for this, nevertheless: once again Cole was good, but way too often the other guy is simply better.  Eflin was prepared and good enough to win that game 1-0.  That's not true for Garrett, it rarely is. 

Cole is a very good pitcher but I'm betting and certainly hoping he will be no better than the 3rd best starter in our rotation by the end of the year.

I'll jump on your bandwagon. As I was watching the game I was thinking that Cole is a good pitcher but seems to get outpitched by his mound opponent with alarming frequency. Luck of the draw or just not ace material?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6B6C7A727C6B2C20597E74787075377A7674190 wrote: Great visiting with you Possum!

We can blame this loss on me sitting in the wrong seat but mostly J not having his Jolly Roger to wave.  As soon as we realized we left it behind we knew the game was lost.  But still good to see ya!

Yeh, I thought maybe the seat thingy would come into play. I sure was disappointed that Cutch's change in sox did not help him at all. Maybe today that will work. As for J and the JR, well there is always next time. I really wanted to wave that thing just once. As it turned out there was no reason to raise it.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I thought that Cole did just fine other than his efficiency. Walked and hit a few too many guys but still able to get out of most situations. I'm not ready to give up on him as "Ace" material just yet. Kid is young, has been hurt this year, and just has to keep learning about MLB pitching.

Elfin, well he was just HOF caliber pitching last nite. If the Bucs are able to tee of on him the game might have been entirely different.

Seems to me that the Phillies hit at the right moment and scored some runs. Of course the BP didn't do anything to keep the game close but such is life in baseball.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I can agree that we need more games out of Cole like we saw when he pitched at Wrigley against the Cubs in mid-May on that Sunday afternoon game where he went 8 strong innings and didn't give up a run. It would be nice if that Cole showed up and pitched that way about every other start. He has to be better though as well I wont disagree with anybody on that point at all.
rucker59@gmail.com

45627377726F50647372726F160 wrote: I can agree that we need more games out of Cole like we saw when he pitched at Wrigley against the Cubs in mid-May on that Sunday afternoon game where he went 8 strong innings and didn't give up a run. It would be nice if that Cole showed up and pitched that way about every other start. He has to be better though as well I wont disagree with anybody on that point at all.

I don't know if he has to be better, or can be. He's good. Pitched pretty good last night. I'm just coming to the conclusion he's not the guy we've proclaimed him to be. The 8 in Chicago was great, but it really is the exception.

Since at least AAA Garrett has been hit pretty regularly. Don't know why, but he's almost always got a couple innings where he's in real trouble.
rucker59@gmail.com

103139103B33540 wrote: I thought that Cole did just fine other than his efficiency.  Walked and hit a few too many guys but still able to get out of most situations.  I'm not ready to give up on him as "Ace" material just yet.  Kid is young, has been hurt this year, and just has to keep learning about MLB pitching.

Elfin, well he was just HOF caliber pitching last nite.  If the Bucs are able to tee of on him the game might have been entirely different. 

Seems to me that the Phillies hit at the right moment and scored some runs.  Of course the BP didn't do anything to keep the game close but such is life in baseball.

But efficiency is almost always an issue. It's rare to get 7 or more innings from Cole. When I think "ace" I think a guy who WILL be dominate most of the time, save the pen, stop losing streaks; who WILL be the best pitcher on the mound. A guy that the other team dreads to face. I doubt anyone is terribly worried when Cole is next up.

But I do agree that he will get better, maybe become that ace. I just hope the Pirates get a few of those years.
rucker59@gmail.com

4B6F7B73761A0 wrote: Second complete game by Eflin?

I'll jump on your bandwagon. As I was watching the game I was thinking that Cole is a good pitcher but seems to get outpitched by his mound opponent with alarming frequency. Luck of the draw or just not ace material? 

If you're an ace, the luck of the draw is always a problem for the other team.....

I observe the same thing you do.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Has nothing to do with the opposing pitcher and being out pitched. The Pirates didn't hit. They had three hits total. Not really Coles fault or that he pitched worse.

Cole did his job. The position players didn't do theirs.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: Has nothing to do with the opposing pitcher and being out pitched. The Pirates didn't hit. They had three hits total. Not really Coles fault or that he pitched worse.

Cole did his job. The position players didn't do theirs.

They didn't hit because Eflin pitched the way we all hoped Cole would pitch especially against a team like the Phillies.