Melancon to Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Melancon to Nats

Post by DemDog »

12352437247078787970410 wrote: Everyone knows if you put a big amount of chips in and go for it (like KC, Baltimore, Cleveland) you're just mortgaging the future.

Stay small, pay little, never trade top prospects.   Be happy with a pennant once a generation

The Pirates easily had the horses to win the division or the World Series last season. They just happened to play in the only division in baseball where the team ahead of them was better.

I think they had a team that could have won it each of the last two years as well. They just didn't.

I also think there is enough talent on this year's team to put them in the conversation. Too bad the talent's not performing. You can blame the FO for a bad offseason and a bad year in general, but if everyone is playing the way they are capable of playing or even in the ballpark of it, this a team that's a lot closer to the Cubs.

Excellent point Steve. I have been through a few more seasons like this in my 58 yrs rooting for the Bucs. It is not easy to accept that some of your major talent and team leaders are performing way below the level we fans are used to seeing.

I get the idea that guys like Cutch, Kang, Liriano should be hitting like .400 or hitting 50 HRs and driving in 100 runs each for them to have a good season. And pitching, we expect one starter to go 20 - 0 and win the Cy Young in both leagues.

But they have not been doing it. I have no idea what has happened to them. Skills decreasing? Injury not disclosed? Trouble off the field? What?

This is a game and things like this will happen. As most of you folks remember the 20 yrs of losing. The Bucs made bad decisions during those years. Bad draft, bad trade of a star when they had one, bad signing of FA, bad trade for a washed up vet. I think we saw some of that this off season.

Yet the team is set to have a big comeback next season because they have drafted well in the recent past, they have signed a couple good FA (most likely most will be gone this off season) and they still have some guys in the lower minors that will take care of many seasons ahead when today's stars are long gone.

No matter how hard the team try on the field, no matter how hard we fans root them on, no matter how much analysis the media makes and we fans do on message boards, there is still the fact that they won't win every game. At least this team of 2016 although very disappointing do show some big time possibility for 2017 and beyond.

So let's sit back, toss down a few more beers, relax and think about that stock of youngsters that will propel this team into the playoffs and hopefully the WS in the near future.

dmetz

Melancon to Nats

Post by dmetz »

63445546550109090801300 wrote: Everyone knows if you put a big amount of chips in and go for it (like KC, Baltimore, Cleveland) you're just mortgaging the future.

Stay small, pay little, never trade top prospects.   Be happy with a pennant once a generation

The Pirates easily had the horses to win the division or the World Series last season. They just happened to play in the only division in baseball where the team ahead of them was better.

I think they had a team that could have won it each of the last two years as well. They just didn't.

I also think there is enough talent on this year's team to put them in the conversation. Too bad the talent's not performing. You can blame the FO for a bad offseason and a bad year in general, but if everyone is playing the way they are capable of playing or even in the ballpark of it, this a team that's a lot closer to the Cubs.

The FO absolutely holds some responsibility. You don't get to just praise the FO for great moves when they make them, and blame the players when moves dont work out. This is real life.

Sure I agree we had the horses last year. Then we let a few of them out of the stable this offseason and replaced them with a scrub lefty starter, a bullpen pitcher turned starter, and a 38 year old never has been.

I guess Santa Claus is responsible for that. Who it definitely is not are the people actually making the decisions.
SammyKhalifa

Melancon to Nats

Post by SammyKhalifa »

252C24353B410 wrote: Everyone knows if you put a big amount of chips in and go for it (like KC, Baltimore, Cleveland) you're just mortgaging the future.

The FO absolutely holds some responsibility.    You don't get to just praise the FO for great moves when they make them, and blame the players when moves dont work out.   This is real life.

Sure I agree we had the horses last year.   Then we let a few of them out of the stable this offseason and replaced them with a scrub lefty starter, a bullpen pitcher turned starter, and a 38 year old never has been.

I guess Santa Claus is responsible for that. Who it definitely is not are the people actually making the decisions.

It was definitely on the front office to have contingency plans even if they think their original idea is solid. To be fair Happ was also a scrub starter and that worked. But there was no backup this time. I'm pretty sure most here has been saying this since February.

That said I'm not sure this trade does anything for our win total this season, for good or for bad. I was a bit disappointed in the return but I'm pretty sure I always am.
SammyKhalifa

Melancon to Nats

Post by SammyKhalifa »

66616F584E4E425E2D0 wrote: It looks like the Melancon trade is showing negative effects on the players. Their spirits are down. You can see it with the base running miscues. They are mentally defeated against a team without Lucroy in the line up and against a pitcher that has not been dominating.

Things definitely don't look good at the moment.

Against Atlanta, we get to see Matt Kemp.

Sorry, I didn't see a team that lost because they were sad that Mark Melancon got traded. I saw a team that lost because our formerly good starting pitcher wasn't too hot, and because our MVP struggled like he has all year, etc.