8/11 Game Thread -- Here we go again

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

093A2627242C1A273C203B3C2D2126480 wrote:

And that swing of 3 games or so could ultimately prove to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

I'm living in fear that that last Locke start is going to be the one that does it.

I wish you hadn't mentioned this....because it's all I'll remember if we miss by a game...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6D5B5A4D46475D4F6C415D5D2E0 wrote:

And that swing of 3 games or so could ultimately prove to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

I'm living in fear that that last Locke start is going to be the one that does it.

I wish you hadn't mentioned this....because it's all I'll remember if we miss by a game...

Funny how this will be blamed and not Liriano's last two starts as a Pirate when he gave up 11 runs with 7 walks in 8.1 innings.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2A21292520213A7F790E372F262121602D214E0 wrote:

Funny how this will be blamed and not Liriano's last two starts as a Pirate when he gave up 11 runs with 7 walks in 8.1 innings.

I guess the reason is that Liriano had a history as a successful pitcher and there was reason to believe he might turn things around. Locke has primarily been a bad pitcher and kept getting more starts when he was doing poorly and there was little reason to believe things would change.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote:

I guess the reason is that Liriano had a history as a successful pitcher and there was reason to believe he might turn things around. Locke has primarily been a bad pitcher and kept getting more starts when he was doing poorly and there was little reason to believe things would change.

Oh, I just figured it was a "let's blame Jeff Locke" statement even though he has been better than Liriano since people do not like Jeff Locke.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Well Dog, Jeff Locke is a "whippin' boy" there's no denying that. He's come by it for good reason with his performance over the last two seasons, but I will agree that based on performance this year there is little to distinguish Locke and Liriano (or Niese for that matter) in terms of their performance. They both (all three) were lousy.

Now that Liriano and Niese have been sent packing Jeff Locke is in the bullseye of fans' scorn more than ever. Maybe if he's lucky he'll pitch well from the bullpen and people will focus on someone else. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote:

Oh, I just figured it was a "let's blame Jeff Locke" statement even though he has been better than Liriano since people do not like Jeff Locke.

The "blame," to the extent there is blame, concerns the choice to use Locke, not Locke ' s pitching.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

7E5A4E46432F0 wrote: Well Dog, Jeff Locke is a "whippin' boy" there's no denying that. He's come by it for good reason with his performance over the last two seasons, but  I will agree that based on performance this year there is little to distinguish Locke and Liriano (or Niese for that matter) in terms of their performance. They both (all three) were lousy.

Now that Liriano and Niese have been sent packing Jeff Locke is in the bullseye of fans' scorn more than ever. Maybe if he's lucky he'll pitch well from the bullpen and people will focus on someone else. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.   

You are right. He has been the whipping boy since day one even when he was the team's second best starter at the beginning of the season.

Sad, but he probably has more better and quality starts than Liriano and Niese combined.

(Liriano got shelled last night and so did Niese for their new teams)