8/24 Game Thread - Cole v Stros

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

I'm with you, Va, and I wonder if they don't shop Cole this offseason. They have to know he's a short-timer and is bolting the first chance he gets, and I wonder if the relationship between Cole and the front office has been torched beyond repair due to the contract fiasco from this past winter. I hate selling low, of course, but he feels like such a liability now that I wonder if a fresh start does both parties some good -- especially if it yields someone like Wil Myer.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This was an absolutely killer of a homestand to pretty much lay an egg and go 1-5 after we went 5-1 out West last week pretty much negates everything we did out West last week. I don't know if I consider shopping Cole yet but moving forward he better keep his damn mouth shut as far as whining about his contract and things along those lines. You can't pitch like he is the last month or so and then come out and whine to the organization about not getting paid.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote:

And it could also be in the back of a pitchers mind.  Someone would know that if the other team was pitching Kershaw there would be much less room for error than if his team were facing Jimmy Anderson.  You could see it as recently as last night, where our pitcher knew his team was up a billion to nothing and could afford to just throw strikes.
That's what Steve Blass said in an earlier broadcast this year. He said when he was pitching, it mattered who his opponent was because his mound foe determined whether he would have more or less margin for error in his own pitching.

I heard Blass say that. I think that is the worst mind set ever. Yeah, he has been there, he has done it and he was very good. But he really pitched differently knowing who he was going against?

I would not want my pitchers to do that. I want them to pitch to the batters to get them out. I want them to pitch to the hitters weakness and to their strengths. I would not worry that the other guy got my teammates out 1-2-3.

I like Blass, but I wonder if Bob Walk thought the same thing. Blass was a great ex player, but he doesn't come off as baseball savy to me. I disagree with a lot of his strategies and if you notice he rarely talks strategy.

The Pirates needed this win today. Ugh!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Cole? They demoted Locke to keep this guy!!!

>:(
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Trading Cole is not an option. Every team in the league would want him. That means the Pirates should keep him.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

2D2A3C343A2D6A661F38323E3633713C30325F0 wrote: See where you're coming from, not sure about trading Marte to fill a hole elsewhere.  Seems like you're just moving a hole around to a different place.

Marte is darn good and as a result would bring a good return.  Two things: 1) Marte takes too many plays off.  Can be really frustrating.  2) we have OF depth but 1st is once again a work in progress; let's use some of the depth to improve the overall team.  Bell takes over for Marte.  Myers (I wish) adds a real 1st base. 

Marte's 10 HRs are blown out of the water: Bell and Myers are both potentially 30 HR guys. 

Marte is easily the best LF in the game and at PNC that means a lot.

I'll take him and what he does at the plate over a guy who can hit 30 home runs.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

192E381A353F1E3E295B0 wrote: I'm with you, Va, and I wonder if they don't shop Cole this offseason. They have to know he's a short-timer and is bolting the first chance he gets, and I wonder if the relationship between Cole and the front office has been torched beyond repair due to the contract fiasco from this past winter. I hate selling low, of course, but he feels like such a liability now that I wonder if a fresh start does both parties some good -- especially if it yields someone like Wil Myer.

Hey, I'm not alone!

The only thing I'd add to your comment is that I don't believe we'd be selling very low on Cole. I think a lot of teams would get into a very nice bidding war and the Pirates would come out great.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

2522343C3225626E17303A363E3B7934383A570 wrote: I'm with you, Va, and I wonder if they don't shop Cole this offseason. They have to know he's a short-timer and is bolting the first chance he gets, and I wonder if the relationship between Cole and the front office has been torched beyond repair due to the contract fiasco from this past winter. I hate selling low, of course, but he feels like such a liability now that I wonder if a fresh start does both parties some good -- especially if it yields someone like Wil Myer.

Hey, I'm not alone!

The only thing I'd add to your comment is that I don't believe we'd be selling very low on Cole.  I think a lot of teams would get into a very nice bidding war and the Pirates would come out great. 

I'm not sure you'd be selling lower either. Teams were drooling to get Archer from the Rays and he has been really bad this year. Starting pitching is at a premium -- and next year's FA SP class is really bad. Might be a fair market. Of course it would help if he actually finished September with a few good starts...
Quail

Post by Quail »

1E23243E23244A0 wrote: See where you're coming from, not sure about trading Marte to fill a hole elsewhere.  Seems like you're just moving a hole around to a different place.

Marte is darn good and as a result would bring a good return.  Two things: 1) Marte takes too many plays off.  Can be really frustrating.  2) we have OF depth but 1st is once again a work in progress; let's use some of the depth to improve the overall team.  Bell takes over for Marte.  Myers (I wish) adds a real 1st base. 

Marte's 10 HRs are blown out of the water: Bell and Myers are both potentially 30 HR guys. 

Marte is easily the best LF in the game and at PNC that means a lot.

I'll take him and what he does at the plate over a guy who can hit 30 home runs.

Put me in with those who don't want to see Marte traded. An outfield of Bell, Cutch and Polanco could make for significant defensive trouble. While Polanco has a plus arm he's not an agile defensive player. Cutch as we've seen is not even an average center fielder anymore (a few good plays lately not withstanding) and although I've not seen Bell play the outfield his rise through the system never caused anyone to think about converting one of our other outfielders to 1B to make room for his superior defense there.

Although I think Marte could net the best return as a trade chip I'd much rather trade Cutch so we'd have Marte in center where he could provide some help to the corner spots and open up more of the 'financial flexibility' that we hear is so important for this team.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

Trade cutch and cole to arizona for goldschmidt and a top prospect. Move marte to center and bell to left. Problem solved. Brault moves to the rotation. Maybe glasnow in mix in rotation as well at some point.