Things the Bucs need to do now to prep for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

man, blowing things out of proportion. Obviously, I know that every player will not improve. I even listed the ones I think will improve.

Is it really hard to think Cervelli and McCutchen had down years, but will be better next year? Or that Marte and Polanco will stay steady or improve. Kang too. Do people expect these four players to get worse?

Players hitting their peak years has been proven. The Pirates will have many players reaching their peak years. That was my point.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: man, blowing things out of proportion.  Obviously, I know that every player will not improve.  I even listed the ones I think will improve.

Is it really hard to think Cervelli and McCutchen had down years, but will be better next year?  Or that Marte and Polanco will stay steady or improve.  Kang too.  Do people expect these four players to get worse?

Players hitting their peak years has been proven.  The Pirates will have many players reaching their peak years.  That was my point.   

My bad. When you said:

Everyone on the team should be better next year than this year.

I thought you meant everyone.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I think the FO has a really tough decision to make around McCutchen. After watching him for this entire season (and previous seasons), I think there is some strong reason to think that he isn't going to rebound. Everyone would agree that his fielding and base running has gradually declined. This year, he has clearly been pushing at the plate. He has been terrible at controlling the strike zone. In particular, he chases breaking stuff off the plate at Marte frequency and he isn't catching up with the high fastball middle away. That used to be a bread and butter pitch for him that he'd clobber the other way. Another OBN'er pointed out to me that he has been trending downward in batted ball exit velocity over the past couple of years. I know his age should indicate he is in the prime, but too many things point the other way. I don't think he will be as bad next year as he was this year, but I think his MVP days are well over. This is going to be tough on the FO.

Secondly, I don't get why no one is talking about Glasnow as a strong piece for next year. We all know that some of his peripherals are a little suspect. However, he has dominated at every level of baseball in his life. Sure, he had a rough couple of starts in Pittsburgh. He has also had a tough time at every transition in the minors and then rights the ship. I don't see any reason why he won't be successful. He'll figure out how to control the running game. Somehow, Lester manages to do it without a pickoff throw.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

McCutchen is still a top player on the Pirates. There is no replacement ready yet. Maybe they need to move him to RF at home and LF on the road? Not sure that will happen (hate to see Marte's arm wasted in CF). McCutchen can still bat .280+, 25 HR, OPS over .800.

I expect Glasnow to be the mid season call up next year. He is following Cole and Taillon in that role.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

031E3A3836530 wrote: I think the FO has a really tough decision to make around McCutchen.  After watching him for this entire season (and previous seasons), I think there is some strong reason to think that he isn't going to rebound.  Everyone would agree that his fielding and base running has gradually declined.  This year, he has clearly been pushing at the plate.  He has been terrible at controlling the strike zone.  In particular, he chases breaking stuff off the plate at Marte frequency and he isn't catching up with the high fastball middle away.  That used to be a bread and butter pitch for him that he'd clobber the other way.  Another OBN'er pointed out to me that he has been trending downward in batted ball exit velocity over the past couple of years.  I know his age should indicate he is in the prime, but too many things point the other way.  I don't think he will be as bad next year as he was this year, but I think his MVP days are well over.  This is going to be tough on the FO.

Secondly, I don't get why no one is talking about Glasnow as a strong piece for next year.  We all know that some of his peripherals are a little suspect.  However, he has dominated at every level of baseball in his life.  Sure, he had a rough couple of starts in Pittsburgh.  He has also had a tough time at every transition in the minors and then rights the ship.  I don't see any reason why he won't be successful.  He'll figure out how to control the running game.  Somehow, Lester manages to do it without a pickoff throw.

I wonder about Glasnow, will he be impacted by Super 2 next year? I think he could be great, he could struggle or be something in between. He is more of a wild card at this point.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: History has shown guys peak between ages 28-30. The Pirates will have five main position players in that range next year. Only Bell, Polanco, and Cervelli are out of that range.

There are six in that age range this season:

Cutch 10/86

Marte 10/88

Mercer 8/86

Harrison 7/87

Kang 4/87

Cervelli 3/86
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

5B7D7C6B7D6D1E0 wrote: History has shown guys peak between ages 28-30. The Pirates will have five main position players in that range next year. Only Bell, Polanco, and Cervelli are out of that range.

There are six in that age range this season:

Cutch 10/86

Marte 10/88

Mercer 8/86

Harrison 7/87

Kang 4/87

Cervelli 3/86

So everyone?
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

3C3B2D252B3C7B770E29232F2722602D21234E0 wrote: Hmmmm.  Josh Bell in RF suddenly.  Good move.  Somebody in the OF is going to be shipped. 

Part 1.

Bell should be at 1B but if he does go to the OF, Osuna is a decent glove at 1B

But if Marte did go, you have Meadows and Osuna in Indy. I like Osuna's bat. Meadows probably needs another 1/2 year at least.

Meadows seems to get hurt often...

All young guys though...
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D425554425E4C44270 wrote: Hmmmm.  Josh Bell in RF suddenly.  Good move.  Somebody in the OF is going to be shipped. 

Part 1.

But if Marte did go, you have Meadows and Osuna in Indy. I like Osuna's bat. Meadows probably needs another 1/2 year at least.

All young guys though...

Much ado about nothing. Marte has been sitting out with back spasms. Bell is a better outfielder than first baseman. This gets Freese in the lineup at 1B. I'm just surprised Jaso didn't start at 1B against a RHP.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: Hmmmm.  Josh Bell in RF suddenly.  Good move.  Somebody in the OF is going to be shipped. 

Part 1.

All young guys though...

Much ado about nothing. Marte has been sitting out with back spasms. Bell is a better outfielder than first baseman. This gets Freese in the lineup at 1B. I'm just surprised Jaso didn't start at 1B against a RHP.

Bobster, not to argue, but they moved Bell to 1B for a reason. He's an okay fielder but they want the bat in the lineup. I would rather see Polanco in RF, Bell at 1B and Frazier in LF if Marte is hurting...