Who will be N.Huntington's Reclamation Project thisoffseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

3121201701010D620 wrote: I think they looked at 2017 for Hutchison. They said they wanted to work him. Apparently it takes time for Searage to sprinkle pixie dust, but they think the job will be done (or at least well enough along to use Hutchison) next year.

He also needed to stay at AAA until September for us to get him for 3 years before FA.

Sorry, don't buy that.  Drew Hutchinson isn't worth worrying about the FA thing at this juncture.  The fact is, if he were the pitcher NH talked about, he would have been up sooner because at the time, we were still in the wild card race and our rotation was awful.  The fact he was sent down should tell you all you need to know.  He wasn't good enough to pitch in our questionable rotation.

Well I'm not really selling it. It was a claim made right when the trade was made:

"Among a few factors that explain why Hutchison, the chief return, will start at Indianapolis is that another month in the minors will delay his service clock and give the Pirates three more seasons before Hutchison reaches free agency."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pira ... 1608010150

I never read anything when the trade was made to make me suspect that Hutchison would be called up before the Sept 1 deadline. That third year seemed to be a big part of Hutchison's perceived value.

I was disappointed at what we got from him in the few appearances he made in September. I was anxious that Searage's magic wand create another Happ or Nova. Hopefully something clicks before he takes the mound in 2017 because we really need him to be a decent piece to the rotation puzzle.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4F6E7B724A73687B6E7F1A0 wrote: I think they looked at 2017 for Hutchison. They said they wanted to work him. Apparently it takes time for Searage to sprinkle pixie dust, but they think the job will be done (or at least well enough along to use Hutchison) next year.

He also needed to stay at AAA until September for us to get him for 3 years before FA.

Sorry, don't buy that.  Drew Hutchinson isn't worth worrying about the FA thing at this juncture.  The fact is, if he were the pitcher NH talked about, he would have been up sooner because at the time, we were still in the wild card race and our rotation was awful.  The fact he was sent down should tell you all you need to know.  He wasn't good enough to pitch in our questionable rotation.

Well I'm not really selling it. It was a claim made right when the trade was made:

"Among a few factors that explain why Hutchison, the chief return, will start at Indianapolis is that another month in the minors will delay his service clock and give the Pirates three more seasons before Hutchison reaches free agency."

I never read anything when the trade was made to make me suspect that Hutchison would be called up before the Sept 1 deadline. That third year seemed to be a big part of Hutchison's perceived value.

I was disappointed at what we got from him in the few appearances he made in September. I was anxious that Searage's magic wand create another Happ or Nova. Hopefully something clicks before he takes the mound in 2017 because we really need him to be a decent piece to the rotation puzzle.

I should have prefaced it by saying I'm not shooting the messenger and that in this case is you. I'm shooting the guy who used that excuse which is NH. Drew Hutchinson sucks. This reminds me of DL's selling of Bobby Hill in the Ramirez deal. There is no difference if he would have come up and started in the rotation when the deal was made because three years from now, he will be the same pitcher and hopefully gone. I hope he proves me wrong. I really do. However, I've watched him pitch enough to know he was a byproduct of Toronto's ability to score 50,000 runs per outing.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

5E4E4F786E6E620D0 wrote: I think they looked at 2017 for Hutchison. They said they wanted to work him. Apparently it takes time for Searage to sprinkle pixie dust, but they think the job will be done (or at least well enough along to use Hutchison) next year.

I should have prefaced it by saying I'm not shooting the messenger and that in this case is you.  I'm shooting the guy who used that excuse which is NH.  Drew Hutchinson sucks.  This reminds me of DL's selling of Bobby Hill in the Ramirez deal.  There is no difference if he would have come up and started in the rotation when the deal was made because three years from now, he will be the same pitcher and hopefully gone.  I hope he proves me wrong.  I really do.  However, I've watched him pitch enough to know he was a byproduct of Toronto's ability to score 50,000 runs per outing.

Fair enough... and 50,000 runs per outing made me laugh.

I'm curious to see if that ability can take them into the WS and then on to a ring. They are a juggernaut offensively and about to face teams that are a little more pitching oriented.