Winter Meetings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Winter Meetings

Post by notes34 »

6D6566514762454A240 wrote: Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think their plan is to keep Cutch, hope he improves his stock for half a year, flip him at the deadline, or keep him if he's tearing the cover off the ball and we're in a pennant race, and then bring up Meadows.  Bell plays first and never sees the outfield.  Harrison or Frazier could always cover a few games in the OF if need-be, with the other playing second base.

As an aside, wasn't there a professional golfer named Harrison Frazer at one time?
I really hope this is the thought process with Cutch. It was fine to ask for a huge return, but they weren't able to get it so keep him.
rucker59@gmail.com

Winter Meetings

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

3225282C2C28222A72410 wrote: latest bizarre trades:

Liriano, H. Ramirez, & R. McGuire

for

D. Hutchinson = Salary Dump

N. Walker

for

J. Niese = Salary Dump

I. Nova (a few months of him)

for

Tito Polo & S. Tarpley (for what? just to act like they still want to win?)

This is just a few trades I didn't like.  I don't care if these guys weren't the best prospects, they were decent.  Im starting to really get annoyed with this FO.

I think the appearance of no real plan to build the team is turning a lot of people that wanted to believe into cynical fans. I know one thing - the Q&A at Piratefest is going to take a dramatic turn if some clarity doesn't come out of the winter meetings.
SCBucco

Winter Meetings

Post by SCBucco »

11060B0F0F0B010951620 wrote: latest bizarre trades:

Liriano, H. Ramirez, & R. McGuire

for

D. Hutchinson = Salary Dump

N. Walker

for

J. Niese = Salary Dump

I. Nova (a few months of him)

for

Tito Polo & S. Tarpley (for what? just to act like they still want to win?)

This is just a few trades I didn't like.  I don't care if these guys weren't the best prospects, they were decent.  Im starting to really get annoyed with this FO.

You forgot one ...

Niese back to the Muts for Bastardo, who commands a pretty decent salary and the Bucs are looking to deal him and retain $$$.
joebeimel

Winter Meetings

Post by joebeimel »

Ken Rosenthal tweeting that Jeff Locke to sign with Marlins. I'm sure all the big FA pitchers will sign soon since the Locke domino appears to have fallen.
SammyKhalifa

Winter Meetings

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Is anyone else semi nervous about all these ex-buccos going to Jim Benedict's Marlins?
Quail

Winter Meetings

Post by Quail »

774549495D6F4C45484D4245240 wrote: Is anyone else semi nervous about all these ex-buccos going to Jim Benedict's Marlins?

Nervous? No. But I'm hoping the Marlins will sign Jon Niese so we can see if Benedict can really turn a lemon into lemonade.
Bobster21

Winter Meetings

Post by Bobster21 »

Locke wasn't much good when he had Benedict.
BucsFaninGA

Winter Meetings

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Good luck to Marlins in turning Locke around. Locke, Volquez , Cashner, and Neise should really push Benedict to the limit. As someone else pointed out, this will truly show if Benedict is the pitcher whisperer...

Beat'em Bucs
Leyland1948

Winter Meetings

Post by Leyland1948 »

Buccs may not have a new face to parade out for the fans at Piratefest!
mouse

Winter Meetings

Post by mouse »

It doesn't seem they will make any trades this year. I thought maybe a Watson deal would be reached but haven't heard anything about a team even interested. I guess sometimes deals get started at the winter meetings but don't get completed until after, so maybe something happens yet in December, but it's looking more like they will see what's around in January.