Kang

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Kang

Post by BenM »

Bucs Dugout is reporting that Kang may be left of the Korea WBC roster.

I'm still confused about the "who knew what, when" about his previous arrests. The Pirates have said that they didn't know about his previous DUIs, but that's something he would have had to declare on his visa application.

Did the Bucs not check his visa status?

Did the arrests not raise flags for immigration authorities review his application?

Did he not declare those previous arrests?

Edited to correct the link
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kang

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Do DUIs go away like they do here after you take classes and get your license suspended? They aren't consider "arrests" here, right? Troublesome, but not a permanent record thing.

I would be more concerned what happened in Chicago.
mouse

Kang

Post by mouse »

The record issue likely depends on the jurisdiction where the charge occurred. In Pennsylvania they definitely do not go away. The record is there and subsequent offenses are graded at a more serious level than an initial charge. Pennsylvania has an ARD program that allows a person to earn a dismissal of a charge. Even under that program the arrest remains (even if the charge is "expunged" after completing the ARD program) and has an impact in the event of a subsequent offense. How offenses in another jurisdiction are treated when the third offense occurs here I can't speak to, but I can say the arrests are serious and permanent on a record.
DemDog

Kang

Post by DemDog »

According to Bucsdugout Police Seek Indictment of Kang

Looks like his problems are getting worse by the day.
fjk090852-7

Kang

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Kang may face a suspension for a portion of the season so I think it would be good for the Bucs to look into signing someone like Cody Asche who was was DFA by Philadelphia. We have Freese to play third but who knows if he has to play some first base if Bell becomes a defensive liability.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kang

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6B67663D343D35383F203A0D0 wrote: Kang may face a suspension for a portion of the season so I think it would be good for the Bucs to look into signing someone like Cody Asche who  was was DFA by Philadelphia. We have Freese  to play third but who knows if he has to play some first base if Bell becomes a defensive liability.

He would be the first player suspended for a DUI by MLB if that happens. Does MLB have an "image" rule like the NFL, or is that just for assault, domestic violence?

This is a weird situation since it occurred in another country. Freese is the back up plan. So is Hanson and Frazier. I don't see a move occurring as I don't think Kang will be out all year.
BucsFaninGA

Kang

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Sad to hear Kang issues, I have no idea what the outcome will be. Glad Front Office signed David Freese last season. Kang needs to kick himself in the pants...Guy needs to get his issues under control or he is going to be in deep doo doo....So much talent....

Beat'em Bucs :(
mouse

Kang

Post by mouse »

At the time Freese was signed to an extension I felt it was related to the uncertainty with Kang. Three DUI's is an indicator of an alcohol problem. MLB has a voluntary treatment program. Attendance in that, according to P2, is a mitigating factor in whatever punishment MLB decides on - in other words, if he goes, that's likely it; if he blows it off, who knows what MLB will do.

Hopefully, getting dumped from the Korean team will underscore to him the seriousness that at least others feel about his conduct.
dmetz

Kang

Post by dmetz »

I hope he doesn't get suspended for a single day for a DUI in Korea. If he does, I hope the MLBPA fights it to the end.
SpeedyG

Kang

Post by SpeedyG »

666F677678020 wrote: I hope he doesn't get suspended for a single day for a DUI in Korea.  If he does, I hope the MLBPA fights it to the end.   

Would you want him suspended for a DUI in the United States?

If a DUI is suspension-worthy if it happened in the US, then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be suspension-worthy if it happened in Korea.