An idea for the fifth starter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

747D75646A100 wrote: He's just been working on stuff all spring.   Yesterday he was working on getting his neck twisting in and also backing up bases.

The start before was a warm-up, but last night he finally felt good about his backup angles on hits with runners on.   Now, he's ready!

Lol! That was well done!
PMike

Post by PMike »

505951404E340 wrote: Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Based on experience, I think Hutchison still gets the nod.  He will be on a short leash.  I just fear he (or anyone) does the Jeff Locke meaning as soon as you think he is done, he throws a gem. 

Not sure what you mean by "then the blasts got him"?  You're aware that he gave up two homers and a triple in the first inning right lol?   He was very nasty...And then in the first inning he got rocked haha.

He's not Jeff Locke.  He is done and has been done for a year.   That's why Toronto was lining up to DFA him before we traded prospects for him.   He's a bad pitcher.  A never has been.

What needs to happen is NH needs to cut him and stop with this embarrassing BS.   The FO wants so badly to be able to start him to justify NHs second terrible trade in two seasons, and the guy is so pizz-poor they're not going to be able to do that without alienating all fans not named Dogknot

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that he will be the 5th starter. With that approach, I don't give a crap about how he has pitched in ST. Those games don't count. In the end, the FO and the trade will not be evaluated on his ST stats. All that matters is how he pitches in the regular season. If he comes out and pitches well, all will be forgiven. No one will think about ST. If he goes out and sucks, the FO will continue to be lambasted...and rightfully so for that move.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5E575F4E403A0 wrote: Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Based on experience, I think Hutchison still gets the nod.  He will be on a short leash.  I just fear he (or anyone) does the Jeff Locke meaning as soon as you think he is done, he throws a gem. 

Not sure what you mean by "then the blasts got him"?  You're aware that he gave up two homers and a triple in the first inning right lol?   He was very nasty...And then in the first inning he got rocked haha.

He's not Jeff Locke.  He is done and has been done for a year.   That's why Toronto was lining up to DFA him before we traded prospects for him.   He's a bad pitcher.  A never has been.

What needs to happen is NH needs to cut him and stop with this embarrassing BS.   The FO wants so badly to be able to start him to justify NHs second terrible trade in two seasons, and the guy is so pizz-poor they're not going to be able to do that without alienating all fans not named Dogknot

Even when I say how bad he was in his outing, you still say something about me. Funny.

Ever here "bloop and the blast" by Earl Weaver? Yes, I consider HRs blasts. Many hard hit balls to the gaps and power alleys yesterday. And to CF.

In my opinion, I still think he starts a few games to start the season. I base my opinion on what the Pirates think of him, the contract he has, and his experience in the big leagues.

If I was in charge, I would lean towards Williams since Brault was sent down.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

What's the old football adage, something about how if you have two quarterbacks you actually have none?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Bob Prince used to say we need a bloop and a blast when they would go to the 9th trialing by one, and that was in the 60's. That term, "blast," for home run in a long and honored usage.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2229212D2829327771063F272E2929682529460 wrote: Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Even when I say how bad he was in his outing, you still say something about me.  Funny.

Ever here "bloop and the blast" by Earl Weaver?  Yes, I consider HRs blasts.  Many hard hit balls to the gaps and power alleys yesterday.  And to CF.

In my opinion, I still think he starts a few games to start the season.  I base my opinion on what the Pirates think of him, the contract he has, and his experience in the big leagues. 

Dog, if Hutchison gets the job based on the FO's opinion of him, his experience and his contract (which may very well be correct) regardless of performance, why did they say Brault, Williams and Glasnow were also competing for the same role? If they simply disregard what each did in his outings and give Hutchison the job based on opinion, experience and contract, what was the point of letting others compete against him? Do you think maybe the "competition" was only a ruse to push Hutchison but it didn't work and he gets the job regardless? IMHO, it's starting to look that way.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I will say that I don't blame Neil for The Trade, I blame the pressure he's obviously under to save money. This trade was an example, like ARam, of a trade that is SOOO bad that it's obvious that any FO justification is simply understood to be BS.

Neil is too good of a baseball man to actually believe in The Trade. Heck, everyone on this board is a "too good a baseball man" to actually make The Trade for any baseball reason. :-?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: Hutchison had a bad outing.  His curve ball wasn't landing for strikes, but was pretty nasty.  He was leaving his fastball up and it was getting hit.  There was also some bloop singles landing in on some low pitches.  But then the blasts got him.

Even when I say how bad he was in his outing, you still say something about me.  Funny.

Ever here "bloop and the blast" by Earl Weaver?  Yes, I consider HRs blasts.  Many hard hit balls to the gaps and power alleys yesterday.  And to CF.

In my opinion, I still think he starts a few games to start the season.  I base my opinion on what the Pirates think of him, the contract he has, and his experience in the big leagues. 

All I'm mentioning is that all of what you described happened in the first inning.  Usually that's what we say when a guy was getting some bad breaks on some bloops and then loses it in the 3rd or something.   In this case, he just got SHELLED out of the gate for the 2nd straight time and I thought it was entertaining how you described it, that's all.

I said months ago he would very likely get the #5 spot due to scholarship, but I'm not sure the FO is able to do what they CLEARLY want to do and award him the scholarship.   

He pitched terribly for us last year in limited time, terribly in Indy in more substantial time.  Terribly this spring and has no history of real success.   

He's a downgrade from Jeff Locke.  So I hope he doesn't make the team at all.  I expect him to be named the #5 starter and I expect the decision to be apologized for.   
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

In Spring Training, scouting comes into play more than actual stats sometimes. Competition can be good for everyone. But if there is no set bar, it still comes down to scouting, potential, and maybe experience along with some stats.

If the Pirates don't feel the other guys pulled away, then they will go with the original plan. Like, it was his job to lose and the others weren't good enough to take it away. I didn't know the 5th starter was based just on spring training stats. If it was, then Hutchison should not get the position.

I expected Hutchison to be the 5th Starter no matter what. I assumed others thought the same way.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: In Spring Training, scouting comes into play more than actual stats sometimes.  Competition can be good for everyone.  But if there is no set bar, it still comes down to scouting, potential, and maybe experience along with some stats.

If the Pirates don't feel the other guys pulled away, then they will go with the original plan.  Like, it was his job to lose and the others weren't good enough to take it away.  I didn't know the 5th starter was based just on spring training stats.  If it was, then Hutchison should not get the position.   

I expected Hutchison to be the 5th Starter no matter what. I assumed others thought the same way.

I didn't know that the 5th starter the following year was determined on justifying a bad trade.