Marte suspended 80 games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: Welp, 2017 was fun while it lasted.  Frankly right now, I'd punt on the year.  I'd start looking to actively trade some key pieces, Cutch and Cole in particular, and begin rebuilding for next year.

I agree with this.  There is no "present" and Cole and Cutch have nothing to do with the Pirates future.  Build around the young pitchers, Bell, Meadows, Frazier, etc.   

Cole should be part of the future.

But we know next year is his last. Maximize his value.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3F382E26283F78740D2A202C2421632E22204D0 wrote: Welp, 2017 was fun while it lasted.  Frankly right now, I'd punt on the year.  I'd start looking to actively trade some key pieces, Cutch and Cole in particular, and begin rebuilding for next year.

I agree with this.  There is no "present" and Cole and Cutch have nothing to do with the Pirates future.  Build around the young pitchers, Bell, Meadows, Frazier, etc.   

Cole should be part of the future.

But we know next year is his last.  Maximize his value.

Maybe, but he is not a free agent until 2020.
SCBucco

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by SCBucco »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: Welp, 2017 was fun while it lasted.  Frankly right now, I'd punt on the year.  I'd start looking to actively trade some key pieces, Cutch and Cole in particular, and begin rebuilding for next year.

I am against punting.  Huge blow, but they don't have to pay him.  Not paying Kang either.  Go get an outfielder. 

LOL ... get an outfielder with what exactly? This organization is cursed with poor ownership and other things.
MaineBucs

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by MaineBucs »

Horrible News.

The OF defense, which was already suffering, will likely now take another dive with Cutch in CF, Polanco in RF and Frazier in LF most of the time. It will be interesting to see if they give Bell some playing time in RF with Jaso playing more at 1st. Don't know if either Meadows or Osuna are ready.

Although I advocated trading Cutch this off-season, the loss of first Kang and then Marte is no reason to punt this early in the year. I know its really early, but the Pirate starting pitchers are doing well overall, and good starting pitching can overcome a lot of problems. While Marte should have been a centerpiece of the line-up, if Cutch and Polanco hit, Bell turns up the heat a bit, Freese doesn't go in the tank, and the replacement for Marte (more of Frazier) provides some spunk at the top of the line-up, this team MAY be able to hang in there. The Cardinals have done it in the past and the NL Wild Card could still be doable.

But, if the team is in a major hole come mid-June, Bucs should look to move players that they should move --- Cutch, Watson, Harrison, Nicassio, Hudson and perhaps Mercer and the like to prepare for 2018.

I doubt any of us really know what Marte was doing off the field, but if he was using needles, Marte should have known that he would be caught.
SCBucco

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by SCBucco »

7C7477405673545B350 wrote: The "Window" is officially closed.

Three wild card games, one NLDS series.

IDK if I'd go that far.  I do think the window is still very much open for next year.  If Cutch has a bounce back year, he's still under contract for next year.  Or, as I said, they can trade him for some other pieces.  The rotation should still be strong next year.  If anything, this gives the team incentive to sink or swim with the likes of Bell, Glasnow, Frazier, and Meadows, unless they are worried about Super 2 with him.  That gives them a year to develop and hopefully hit the ground running next year.

Crazy that this would come out the day after ESPN did a nice expose on Marte last night during their broadcast.  Pathetic.  Frankly, I feel cheated as a fan of baseball in general, and the Pirates in particular.

I'm ready to say screw this team, but I also realize it isn't the team's fault.

I seriously thought this was a joke when I read the thread title.  Then I saw it on ESPN.

Yuck.

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close. Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters. Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?
SammyKhalifa

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: "Of note regarding Marte suspension: If Pirates get to the postseason, Marte will not be eligible to play in playoffs."

Where did that come from? It can't be correct. 80 days has him back in July. It's not "80 days plus playoffs."

Rule saying if they serve supension time for this that is not reduced on appeal, player is not eligible for playoff roster. Came in a few years ago.

So basically even if a miracle happens and we get into the postseason, fat lotta good it'll do us.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5E4E4F786E6E620D0 wrote:

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close.  Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters.  Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?

Every starter is signed through 2019. They have a young 1B in Bell.

They have acquired good pieces since 2012 and made the playoffs three years in a row. I don't understand how you either forget that or you think it is still some type of negative hit towards the management team?
Tintin

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by Tintin »

6676774056565A350 wrote: The "Window" is officially closed.

IDK if I'd go that far.  I do think the window is still very much open for next year.  If Cutch has a bounce back year, he's still under contract for next year.  Or, as I said, they can trade him for some other pieces.  The rotation should still be strong next year.  If anything, this gives the team incentive to sink or swim with the likes of Bell, Glasnow, Frazier, and Meadows, unless they are worried about Super 2 with him.  That gives them a year to develop and hopefully hit the ground running next year.

Crazy that this would come out the day after ESPN did a nice expose on Marte last night during their broadcast.  Pathetic.  Frankly, I feel cheated as a fan of baseball in general, and the Pirates in particular.

I seriously thought this was a joke when I read the thread title.  Then I saw it on ESPN.

Yuck.

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close.  Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters.  Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?.

Rotation is set through '19 as is with a bunch of prospects heading this way (despite Glasnow). And is Bell not our 1b of the future?

We've got issues in the short term, but I dont see these as the problem yet.
SCBucco

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by SCBucco »

3E353D3134352E6B6D1A233B3235357439355A0 wrote:

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close.  Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters.  Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?

Every starter is signed through 2019.  They have a young 1B in Bell. 

They have acquired good pieces since 2012 and made the playoffs three years in a row.  I don't understand how you either forget that or you think it is still some type of negative hit towards the management team?

They haven't added anyone of true significance that helps right now, absent Nova. Don't kid yourself. Good for them ... they made the playoffs three years in a row. We made it out of the WC game once. Fact is this, ownership or the FO didn't take advantage of that momentum and add GOOD pieces to get further. That led to last year's sparkling performance. Reality check dude.
SCBucco

Marte suspended 80 games

Post by SCBucco »

764B4C564B4C220 wrote: The "Window" is officially closed.

Yuck.

I agree, the window is quickly coming to a close.  Next year, we will still need another arm for the rotation and a 1B man for starters.  Do you expect this organization to all the sudden acquire good pieces?.

Rotation is set through '19 as is with a bunch of prospects heading this way (despite Glasnow).  And is Bell not our 1b of the future? 

We've got issues in the short term, but I dont see these as the problem yet.

We still need a #5. I'm not sure what we have at #4 just yet. The rotation could always be better. We don't know if Bell can play first or not. How about this ... invest in a true first baseman instead of trying to convert one into a first baseman since that has worked out so well for the Bucs recently.