4/24 game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

4/24 game

Post by DemDog »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote:

I have no interest in wasting any years. If this team is not ready to compete, then start planning for a team that is stronger with a better chance to contend.

Every position player is signed or can't go anywhere.  Everyone one in the rotation is either signed or can't go anywhere.  The only major free agent is Watson. 

This is the team going forward.  They key spots are in place.  Sure, players will be added (bench, bullpen) to make them better.

So, what moves are you making?  Who are you getting rid of?  I wasn't trying to call anyone out, but how can a team win two out of three but not compare/compete?  During the broadcast last night, a Cub was interviewed and said they fear the Pirates and think the Pirates are their biggest competition in the division.  They are also 1-3 against the Pirates right now.

I think VaPirate is saying that because they are not as competitive as we as fans had hoped the team has to look both short term and long term for players that can make us competitive for not just a wild card but eventually a WS win.

It is tough to say right now who the team may trade and who they might acquire but VaPirate feels that NH should be keeping his options open about dealing someone big time for both short and long term success.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/24 game

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4443555D5344030F76515B575F5A1855595B360 wrote:

Maybe we have different goals or see different things.  This lineup looks to be a mess to me right now.  That's all.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see the Pirates playing .500 ball with this lineup unless they can win a lot of 3-2 games.  And they will certainly win some because I believe in the rotation.

Long term contracts don't mean (generally) long term commitment to the player by the same team.  If those contracts hold real value that can make the Pirates better by moving them, then they need to move some of them.

I maybe the only person, but I was advocating trading Marte since about the midpoint of last season.  Sometimes you can make a team better.  If the post season seems to be a lost cause, I'd make every player on the team available not named Tallion.  Obviously I'm not advocating trading everyone, but I'd be willing to trade almost anyone that can make the team better.

Then you are rebuilding. I don't want to go through another five years of nothing.

My point is that this team is good and has a very good chance of winning. The team was built from the bottom up and plugged in some key pieces.

The big player who is probably not going to be back is McCutchen. But the Pirates have one of baseball's top prospect waiting in the wings.

I feel the other guys need to carry the younger guys right now. Bell shouldn't be relied upon. Meadows shouldn't either when he arrives.

The bench is weak, but has to be used right now. That's a bad situation to be in for any team. There is a reason why they are bench players and not starters. The Pirates haven't lost yet with the Sunday line up, so they proved they can win too.

No one is praising the wins. Like, the Pirates got lucky. But when they lose, we need answers on how to go forward. Being at .500 in April will be great. Very tough schedule (faced 1st place Reds, 1st place Cubs, 2nd place Yankees, 1st/2nd place Red Sox).
SteadyFreddy

4/24 game

Post by SteadyFreddy »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote:

Maybe we have different goals or see different things.  This lineup looks to be a mess to me right now.  That's all.  I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see the Pirates playing .500 ball with this lineup unless they can win a lot of 3-2 games.  And they will certainly win some because I believe in the rotation.

Long term contracts don't mean (generally) long term commitment to the player by the same team.  If those contracts hold real value that can make the Pirates better by moving them, then they need to move some of them.

I maybe the only person, but I was advocating trading Marte since about the midpoint of last season.  Sometimes you can make a team better.  If the post season seems to be a lost cause, I'd make every player on the team available not named Tallion.  Obviously I'm not advocating trading everyone, but I'd be willing to trade almost anyone that can make the team better.

Then you are rebuilding.  I don't want to go through another five years of nothing. 

My point is that this team is good and has a very good chance of winning.  The team was built from the bottom up and plugged in some key pieces.

The big player who is probably not going to be back is McCutchen.  But the Pirates have one of baseball's top prospect waiting in the wings. 

I feel the other guys need to carry the younger guys right now.  Bell shouldn't be relied upon.  Meadows shouldn't either when he arrives.

The bench is weak, but has to be used right now.  That's a bad situation to be in for any team.  There is a reason why they are bench players and not starters.  The Pirates haven't lost yet with the Sunday line up, so they proved they can win too.

No one is praising the wins.  Like, the Pirates got lucky.  But when they lose, we need answers on how to go forward.  Being at .500 in April will be great.  Very tough schedule (faced 1st place Reds, 1st place Cubs, 2nd place Yankees, 1st/2nd place Red Sox).

I tend to agree more with VA here that I think this team needs some overhaul and they are not going to win a World Series with this current team the way it is which is my bar and should be the Pirates bar and ultimate goal. This team can simply not compete for a playoff spot with both Kang and Marte out of this lineup for half of the season or more and if you think they can then please give me some of that stuff you are smoking because I want some of it.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/24 game

If you overhaul, they won't win it either. Or win it next year or the year after that. When do you want them to win the World Series? So, this is their best team going forward for the next few years. If they stay in it and get Kang in June and Marte back in July, they could be a very tough team. Its April 25th.
SteadyFreddy

4/24 game

Post by SteadyFreddy »

717A727E7B7A612422556C747D7A7A3B767A150 wrote: If you overhaul, they won't win it either.  Or win it next year or the year after that.   When do you want them to win the World Series?  So, this is their best team going forward for the next few years.  If they stay in it and get Kang in June and Marte back in July, they could be a very tough team.  Its April 25th. A lot of Big big If's there with Kang and Marte. Even if you do make the playoffs this year Marte can't play in them anyway cause he is ineligible. So there goes another huge hole in your lineup for the playoffs. But don't worry we won't be talking about that trust me.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/24 game

Since Marte can't play in the playoffs, the Pirates shouldn't try to make it?
SteadyFreddy

4/24 game

Post by SteadyFreddy »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: Since Marte can't play in the playoffs, the Pirates shouldn't try to make it? No I didn't say that but not having him available for the playoffs to play in any games is going to hurt their chances big time of winning and advancing in the playoffs sand ultimately winning a World Series.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/24 game

193E2F2B2E330C382F2E2E334A0 wrote: Since Marte can't play in the playoffs, the Pirates shouldn't try to make it? No I didn't say that but not having him available for the playoffs to play in any games is going to hurt their chances big time of winning and advancing in the playoffs sand ultimately winning a World Series.

Yeah, pretty obvious. But I would still like to try to make the playoffs and see what happens once there.
SammyKhalifa

4/24 game

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7A71797570716A2F295E677F767171307D711E0 wrote: Since Marte can't play in the playoffs, the Pirates shouldn't try to make it?

Maybe/maybe not, but it kind of makes it a pointless pursuit (if true).
Ecbucs

4/24 game

Post by Ecbucs »

at this point, I hope Marte comes back and does great to finish the year (I still think the Bucs will finish 82-80).

I didn't want to deal him in off season but now I think he needs to go. He still should bring back a pretty good return.