Tony Watson just hired Scott Boras

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

153835242332256566570 wrote: Boras means nothing.  I don't underdstand why teams, people are afraid of him.  The player still makes the final decision.  The market will be known or set. 

The draft slotting lost all of Boras's power.  That's where he was good.  The Pirates have dealt with him before and have never not drafted or offered a player a contract because of Boras.
Really? And how do you know they've never declined to draft a player represented by Boras? And representing players in the draft is only part of what Boras does. Teams have to deal with him in free agency and contract extensions. And for a team not concerned about Boras, isn't it a coincidence that in recent years the only clients of his on the team have been Alvarez, Cole and now Watson? I've lost track of all the Boras clients the Pirates have either signed as FAs or extended. But I think the total is somewhere between 0 and 0.

Do you think the Pirates plan with Watson has now changed because of his agent?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

555E565A5F5E450006714850595E5E1F525E310 wrote: Boras means nothing.  I don't underdstand why teams, people are afraid of him.  The player still makes the final decision.  The market will be known or set. 

The draft slotting lost all of Boras's power.  That's where he was good.  The Pirates have dealt with him before and have never not drafted or offered a player a contract because of Boras.
Really? And how do you know they've never declined to draft a player represented by Boras? And representing players in the draft is only part of what Boras does. Teams have to deal with him in free agency and contract extensions. And for a team not concerned about Boras, isn't it a coincidence that in recent years the only clients of his on the team have been Alvarez, Cole and now Watson? I've lost track of all the Boras clients the Pirates have either signed as FAs or extended. But I think the total is somewhere between 0 and 0.

Do you think the Pirates plan with Watson has now changed because of his agent? 
Not at all. I think it's been common knowledge all along that Watson will be traded, probably before the season is over. Boras has no say in that.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

So, Boras doesn't matter?

Alvarez, Cole, and Appel were all drafted by the Pirates. They were the best player available every time. Having Boras as their adviser did not stop the Pirates from drafting them.

A couple years ago, Boras said he waits for teams to come to him when Alvarez and Cole were being discussed as possible extensions (Trib article?).

We know the Pirates don't go after big time free agents. Boras has a lot of those guys, but I don't think it's the reason the Pirates don't go after them. It's their budget, not Boras.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: So, Boras doesn't matter?

Alvarez, Cole, and Appel were all drafted by the Pirates.  They were the best player available every time. Having Boras as their adviser did not stop the Pirates from drafting them.

A couple years ago, Boras said he waits for teams to come to him when Alvarez and Cole were being discussed as possible extensions (Trib article?).

We know the Pirates don't go after big time free agents.  Boras has a lot of those guys, but I don't think it's the reason the Pirates don't go after them. It's their budget, not Boras.
Seems like you're comparing apples to oranges. In response to comments that Cole won't sign an extension with the Bucs, you related Boras' effect strictly to the draft. Littlefield's last draft was a disaster when he avoided a Boras client (Wieters) to select Moskos. Regardless of the spin, everyone knew Littlefield didn't want to deal with Boras. That resulted in very bad PR. So they didn't shy away from Alvarez and Cole. Boras can't prevent his clients from being drafted. But he built his reputation on getting top dollar for his clients in free agency. So he will have a great effect on whether Cole stays or goes. The Pirates are well aware that Boras will get top dollar for Cole and the Pirates don't pay those types of salaries. So you're kidding yourself if you think Cole will sign an extension to remain with the Pirates instead of letting Boras do what he gets paid to do. Which means the Bucs will very likely trade him before his contract expires. I know you always dwell on the positive side but there's a difference between optimism and realism.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Every agent tries to get top dollar and best situation for their clients. Players don't have to listen to their agents. It is the player's final decision, not the agent.

If a team wants a certain player, they will have to pay what he wants/demands or negotiate. I just don't think teams or the Pirates say "we don't want him because of Boras". Huntington hasn't done that.

Littlefield did pass on Weiters because of sign ability. That was also when slotting didn't happen. The Pirates offered Appel the most they could at $3.7 million. Appel claims it wasn't the money on why he didn't sign.

Watson signing Boras has no effect on the Pirates. I don't think Watson will be back no matter who his agent is/was. People are automatically saying Watson won't be back due to Boras. That isn't the case at all.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

373C34383D3C276264132A323B3C3C7D303C530 wrote:

Watson signing Boras has no effect on the Pirates. I don't think Watson will be back no matter who his agent is/was. People are automatically saying Watson won't be back due to Boras. That isn't the case at all.
What? People have been saying all along that Watson won't be back. He only signed with Boras 2 days ago so that has nothing to do with it. Cole is the one that people have been saying won't re-sign because of Boras.